• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RA Allones Extra EL '11

bluue13

5 5/8 x 44

OGA AGO 11

I need to start this off by saying I didn't intend to review this cigar.  I don't even smoke ISOM that often, but after sitting down to smoke it I felt the need to share a few thoughts.

I always enter into an ISOM smoking session with little to no expectations partly due to my general lack of experience in knowing what to expect and partly due to not wanting to be let down if it doesn't live up to the "hype."

This was my first experience with a RA and I was very gracious for the opportunity to smoke it many thanks to my Secret Santa this past winter.

It had been a very long week and I needed to unwind, so last night so after the baby was in bed and the wife was passed out on the couch, I grabbed this stick from the cooler, poured myself a bourbon, grabbed my trusty lighter and cutter and set up camp on the patio...  Here we go:

Initial thoughts:  A very well constructed stick.  No flaws in the wrapper and a beautiful triple cap.  I love the band.  Simple design, very classy.  Sniffing the foot I get some muted grassy and earthy notes.  Nothing too pronounced.

I clip the cap and take a cold draw, again nothing too pronounced.  Some hay, a little bit of sweetness and generally nice tobacco flavor.

1st 3rd:
Very mild, with a bit of sweetness and earthiness.  No spice at all, just a very good mild/med cigar.  Nice tobacco flavor, the draw is great and the burn while wavy at times doesn't require any touch ups.  Nice amount of smoke and is pairing very nicely with the bourbon.

2nd 3rd:
Totally different cigar.  Strength picks up a little bit, but the flavor really shines.  Like a good cup of med-strong coffee, the flavor of the tobacco is great with no bitterness or bite.  Really enjoyable.

Final 3rd:
I surprised myself by taking this cigar down to the nub, just before burning my fingertips.  The flavor was so smooth and never bitter.  Really nice sweetness balancing out the strength in the final third.  Just the slightest hint of spice on the finish and great earthy, hay, and toasty tobacco flavor.  I found myself not wanting to be finished.

As I tend to do sometimes, I searched out a couple reviews of this stick and found a few that seem to have been done right around the release date.  It seems the general consensus was its a good cigar but young and inconsistent in flavor.  It seems that age has done this cigar well.

Thanks to my Secret Santa for the opportunity to enjoy it.

Sorry for the dark picture...like I said, wasn't planning on doing a review.
4AF0A0F9-D306-452E-BCC0-D46C1628627A.jpg

Thanks for the review they are one of my all time favorites

RA are very solid in general. I've very rarely had one let me down.

I can totally understands low expectations with Cubans. So many are to tight, I've started to dry box them to improve chances of smoke ability, less let downs.