• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Raising your own tobacco.

I started mine last Saturday. They're in starter trays from Menards. $5! What a deal!

I have them moistened in my basement but I wonder if it's too cold down there for them to sprout. It's about 55 down there. I rigged up a light for them but what do you think? Too cold for them to sprout? I wish I had a greenhouse right now. Should I add a heat lamp to the fluorescent lamp?

BR

007-1.jpg

7 days. Both the CT shade and Havana are starting, I can't see any difference in the two yet.

Dennis,
I'd say you could cull your herd anytime. I use a pair of tweezers and remove all but 2 from each group. then after they get a couple inches tall I remove the other one, leaving just 1 per space.

Bill,
You should probably add a heat lamp or some other heat source. I don't think they'll germinate at that temp. If you use a heat lamp don't put it to close, you don't want to burn them.

Matt,
Lookin' good brother, you won't be able to tell much difference between them until they get quite a bit larger.

Dennis just send me some seeds he didn't use, so off to Lowe's after attending my cousin's funeral tomorrow..

Thanks again Dennis!

Mine are sprouting like crazy too. I have a mini greenhouse deal with a plant light. Im just worried about curing, I hear the process takes at the minimum of a year

I was able to bring my starter trays upstairs from the basement a couple days ago. So temps are higher and more natural light.

No sprouting yet but I'm hoping in the next couple days to see some signs of growth.

I still have plenty of seeds left so if I need to start over I will.

BR

They're getting closer....

P3303806.jpg

:cool:

I culled them once already, still need to pull a few more.

Yes to cure it it needs to hang in a well ventilated area, out of the weather if possible. a shed, garage, or barn would work great. The tobacco will need to hang until it's uniformly brown. then before you can do anything with it it will have to come into case (absorb moisture this will make it pliable) or it will crumble to little pieces. this can be done by waiting for a few rainy days, or you can mist it with warm water, the tobacco will absorb the moisture and then you can work with it. I'm still trying to work out the fermentation of small batches of tobacco. I'll post more on that later. If you have more questions fire away.

Just wondering how the curing process was coming along...This is a great thread!!

My last attempt at fermenting was a no go! I've got close to 1200 pounds cured and hanging in the barn. I'm waiting for a little warmer weather to try again.

I just ordered two packs of seeds. I figure with our climate in Louisiana I have plenty of time to get them in the ground and grown. Looking forward to this adventure.

I just ordered two packs of seeds. I figure with our climate in Louisiana I have plenty of time to get them in the ground and grown. Looking forward to this adventure.

I wish I would've known you wanted seeds. I would've been more than glad to send you some. Good luck growing your crop.

I haven't even started mine yet. Man I'm gettin' lazy in my old age. Here's what I had left from my crop last year. It's been fermenting in a tupperware container I've had sitting on top of my water heater (the hot water pipe) to keep it at a warm temperature. I've taken it out about every other week and flip the tobacco over. I sprayed it with some water not long ago as it was getting a little dried out. I have to tell ya, this stuff smells like heaven!! I really have no idea how long I need to leave it in there. I'm about ready to take it out and try my hand at rolling. :D

DSC02789.jpg

DSC02790.jpg

DSC02791.jpg

DSC02792.jpg

DSC02793.jpg

DSC02794.jpg

Kingantz, those look great. Try rolling one and see what happens.

My seeds are growing slowly in the starter seed trays. Very slowly. They're still really tiny plants.

That's my dilema, what to do with the leaves if/when I get a harvest and get them dried. If I can get them fermented right would I even be able to roll them or be able to smoke them somehow?

I guess we'll see.

I wish I would've known you wanted seeds. I would've been more than glad to send you some. Good luck growing your crop.

Thanks for the #608 and TA14 Common Smoking seeds from Organic Seeds. I have them in the soil and I can not wait until they come up. I plan on putting at least six of each in the ground when they are ready to transplant. If I get the tiller going, I may even put more in.

Stay tuned for more.

Johnny

Kingantz,

Those leaves really are beautiful. I can not wait until I am able to harvest my plants.

Looking good Greg!

During your fermentation process were you able to smell the leaves releasing their amonia? If you smelled the odor of amonia, and it smells sweet now. I would say it's probably safe to smoke.

Roll one up and smoke it. Let us know how she smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are 2 pictures of my trays. It's taken forever to get to this point. It's been ridiculously rainy/cloudy for the past few weeks. I'm hoping once it starts to stay sunny, they'll grow like crazy. Unfortunately, I have no idea which type is in what tray now, that my kids thought it would be fun to take them all out one day when they were outside sunning. OH well.

plants3.jpg

plants4.jpg