• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scapa 12 yo Orkney Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Scapa 12 yo Single Orkney Malt Scotch Whisky, box package, standard tall bottle, 750ml, 80 proof, about $35-40.

Scapa%2012.JPG

Scapa Flow famous not only for it's scotch but also as the place where the German Fleet of 74 ships were scuttled after the end of World War One. This and Highland Park are two of the most northernly distilleries in Scotland and while easy to find, Scapa was mothballed in 1994. As stocks decrease you can bet price will go up although a small amount is still produced on a part time basis by men from the Highland Park distillery. Scapa is mostly used in the Teacher's and Ballantine blends.

Scapa is a medium hay colored dram that noses softly with a little honey, malt and chocolate. There is no peat noticeable at all which is unusual for an Island malt. The taste is very clean and smooth with chocolate, malt, oak and honey all coming to the front at one time or another in a fairly complex combination of flavors. The finish is full of malt and cocoa and last a medium long time.

Scapa's popularity and sales have been growing as of late as people discover the wonderful flavors of this scotch. At a fairly low price this is one of the best bangs for your buck I've run across. As good as this is, the 14 yo ($50) is even a bit better. While I don't own that one yet the tasting I've had of it makes it a lock that it will soon be on my shelf. An ACE for both of them. :thumbs:

Nice review AVB!

Although it seems to lack the peat that I look for in a Scotch, it sounds like it has plenty more that makes me want to try it.

On a related note, I ready on Laphroaig's website that the Scapa distillery is undergoing major renovations. Of course it will be years before we see any output from it, so maybe we can hope that the reserves hold out for 10-15 years!

While both Scapa and Laphroaig are owned by Allied Domecq they aren't close to one another. Odd that there would be a mention of Scapa on their site. I didn't know it was being refinished though until you pointed it out. However, I don't think it will take as long as you said. Thanks for the info. :D

AVB said:
While both Scapa and Laphroaig are owned by Allied Domecq they aren't close to one another. Odd that there would be a mention of Scapa on their site. I didn't know it was being refinished though until you pointed it out. However, I don't think it will take as long as you said. Thanks for the info. :D
[snapback]204286[/snapback]​

Laphroaig is calling Scapa it's "sister distillery" on Islay's sister island. I'm guessing it must be a marketing ploy.

Thought i would add to this one I receaved a bottle of 14yo for valentines. and it was possibly the best I have had yet.Smooth and mellow no burn very tasty.No peat at all and I think i got it at a good price my wife paid Euro 30 for it less than $40.

Edit wife said Euro 25 so that means less than $35 going to go buy some more.

I haven't seen the 14 yo before. Any chance for a pic?

Double D said:
Thought i would add to this one I receaved a bottle of 14yo for valentines. and it was possibly the best I have had yet.Smooth and mellow no burn very tasty.No peat at all and I think i got it at a good price my wife paid Euro 30 for it less than $40.

Edit wife said Euro 25 so that means less than $35 going to go buy some more.
[snapback]288830[/snapback]​

Nevermind, I've found one. Thanks.

Found a bottle of this today at the beach and decided to give it a try.

No peat, but semi-smooth and sweet. Honey really came out after a few drops of distilled water. Nose has a lot of vanilla, even after four or five tastes. Gonna try a Guapo Jr with it shortly. Very malty, not picking up the chocolate the AVB gets, (friggin noob taste buds) :blush: .

Does anybody know anything about the 16yo? I can get both the 12yo and the 16yo at Virginia's state run monopoly liquor stores. Is it worth paying the 50% price differential?

Great info AVB and nice added info Ralph! You guys are killing me since it is still over 2 months before I can enjoy a dram myself....damn you General Order Number One! Damn You!!!!
mad.gif

I'll be looking to upgrade my liquor cabinet when I get home with a bottle of this to try...

Cheers,

R

I would say the current 16 is pretty much based on the 12 that I did. Its going to be pretty much the same stock only older now. That doesn't mean it will be the same or even better. I'd advise getting the 12 and seeing if you like the style and if so, getting the 16 later on.

Is the 12 widely available in the US (ie, an internet store etc)? I see the 16 is quite readily available.

Is the 12 widely available in the US (ie, an internet store etc)? I see the 16 is quite readily available.

Both the 12yo and the 16yo are available where I live in Virginia from VABC. If you can't find it and you're interested, let me know and I can look into shipping you a bottle.