• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

So did I do well?

So how long does beer in a keg last? Might be my next project after my coolidor.

From my experience, if the keg is charged with CO2 and kept cool it can last for a couple months. The taste starts going downhill after a few weeks but it's still drinkable.

So how long does beer in a keg last? Might be my next project after my coolidor.

From my experience, if the keg is charged with CO2 and kept cool the keg can last for a couple months. The taste starts going downhill after a few weeks but it's still drinkable.

I have a very large commercial stainless steel 2 door fridge in my basment and every thing I need to setup a 2 tap system but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet! I want to build a man town down there but got to take care of other stuff first. Roof is alittle more important than a man town!

Anyway I didn't relize a keg if stored cold and under co2 pressure would go bad that quick! :( My wife doesn't drink so I guess I would need to get a smaller keg than a half so it doesn't go bad!

I think this just became my next project! The man town will come soon after. :thumbs:

My wife doesn't drink so I guess I would need to get a smaller keg than a half so it doesn't go bad!

There are several smaller sizes that are great if you're the only one that will be drinking.

This thread is making me thirsty... :(

Kegs can be stored much longer depending on the style of the beer. Obviously something light probably won't do well, but darker ales should be just fine. I know some of the bars around here have tapped kegs with years on them.

Kegs can be stored much longer depending on the style of the beer. Obviously something light probably won't do well, but darker ales should be just fine. I know some of the bars around here have tapped kegs with years on them.

Lets use Sam Adams Octoberfest for an example. How do you think it will hold up say for a year. I have bottles of it that have held for over a year and they still taste great.

Don't know. I'd imagine Justin could give a much better answer. From what I've learned, darker styles with higher ABV's do very well. For instance, the local brewery, Ladyface, tapped some kegs of their anniversary quad which was a year old, their 2010 barleywine and 2010 Russian imperial stout, all for their 2nd anniversary. About a month ago the local beer bar cracked open a keg of GF Silva Stout (bourbon barrel aged imperial stout) which they were told by the brewery was the last known keg in existence.

I don't know the specifics about storage, carbed, etc, but I do know it's done. As for SA Octoberfest, I wouldn't expect it to last that long. I don't know how well lager styles hold up to ageing. I'm surprised that a year old bottle would still taste good as that's not a style I would figure on ageing.

I should clarify that my experience was with brew like 'wieser and Dos XX ;). Not much flavor or ABV to begin with so I'm sure what you pick could have much more longevity.

IMG_20120305_110600.jpg

Sorry I haven't posted this earlier. I've been out of town for awhile due to work.

So, I just blew my 1st keg. Damn I can sure drink the beerz :)

How would you compare the first few mugs to the last ones..? Taste hold up?

The taste was identical even after 8 weeks. I purchased another keg of the same beer. The first glass of the new keg tasted almost the same as the last glass from the old keg.

I'm sure the difference (for the better) was caused by temperature. I stored the last keg at 36 degrees while the first poor from the new keg was 40 degrees.

With that being said I'm going to increase the temp of my fridge to 38 and see how that works out. I still would like to store my beer few degrees cooler. in hopes that I can protect it from going bad on me too soon.

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/how-long-keg-beer-remain-fresh-aid-44.html

Keg beer will remain fresh if dispensing with CO2, while maintaining the proper temperature and pressure:
• Non-pasteurized draft beer about 45-60 days.
• Pasteurized draft beer about 90-120 days.

Dispensing keg beer with a party pump (air):
• Any draft beer will remain fresh for no more than 8-12 hours.
Air contains oxygen, and oxygen is an enemy of beer.

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/pasteurized-and-non-pasteurized-keg-beer-aid-45.html

Non-Pasteurized

For the most part keg beer brewed and packaged in kegs in the U.S. is not pasteurized. During the packaging process non pasteurized draft beers are sterile filtered and chilled to the point that any surviving bacteria, which could ferment the beer, become dormant. Kegs are kept cold ( < 50&deg;F ) from the brewery to the point of dispense. Draft beer dispensed from a keg should be fresh by storing as short as possible, and serving cold at 38&deg;F.

Temperatures above 38&deg;F may promote non pasteurized draft beers to turn sour or cloudy. Should the temperature rise above 50&deg;F, the dormant bacteria which ferments and spoils beer will once again become active and, subsequent growth will rapidly begin to spoil flavor and cloud the beer.

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/pasteurized-and-non-pasteurized-keg-beer-aid-45.html

Most imports are pasteurized, a German O Fest imported tastes like crap compared to a fresh one in a beir garden!!!

Pasteurized

Most of the keg beer brewed and packaged outside the U.S. (Import beers), are heat pasteurized during packaging. This process kills off the bacteria that ferment and spoils the beer.

Pasteurized draft beer kegs can be transported and stored at room temperature. The beer in these kegs can be flash cooled at the point of dispense. However, most imported kegs are stored and dispensed at the same temperature (38&deg;F) as domestic, non pasteurized kegs.

Yep I read that cut and paste a few places. It's a guideline but not set in stone. My best friend has a 2 year old non pasteurized 1/6 barrel Ipa hooked up. It's amazing to say the least.

http://www.micromati...esh-aid-44.html

Keg beer will remain fresh if dispensing with CO2, while maintaining the proper temperature and pressure:
&bull; Non-pasteurized draft beer about 45-60 days.
&bull; Pasteurized draft beer about 90-120 days.

Dispensing keg beer with a party pump (air):
&bull; Any draft beer will remain fresh for no more than 8-12 hours.
Air contains oxygen, and oxygen is an enemy of beer.

http://www.micromati...eer-aid-45.html

Non-Pasteurized

For the most part keg beer brewed and packaged in kegs in the U.S. is not pasteurized. During the packaging process non pasteurized draft beers are sterile filtered and chilled to the point that any surviving bacteria, which could ferment the beer, become dormant. Kegs are kept cold ( < 50&deg;F ) from the brewery to the point of dispense. Draft beer dispensed from a keg should be fresh by storing as short as possible, and serving cold at 38&deg;F.

Temperatures above 38&deg;F may promote non pasteurized draft beers to turn sour or cloudy. Should the temperature rise above 50&deg;F, the dormant bacteria which ferments and spoils beer will once again become active and, subsequent growth will rapidly begin to spoil flavor and cloud the beer.

http://www.micromati...eer-aid-45.html

Most imports are pasteurized, a German O Fest imported tastes like crap compared to a fresh one in a beir garden!!!

Pasteurized

Most of the keg beer brewed and packaged outside the U.S. (Import beers), are heat pasteurized during packaging. This process kills off the bacteria that ferment and spoils the beer.

Pasteurized draft beer kegs can be transported and stored at room temperature. The beer in these kegs can be flash cooled at the point of dispense. However, most imported kegs are stored and dispensed at the same temperature (38&deg;F) as domestic, non pasteurized kegs.

Man I just learn something !

Thanks for the infos.

Backslide....I'm officially jalous of your setup....

What did you order?

The keg that I finished was Beehive by Bristol brewing Co. So I placed an order for another. Yesterday I went to exchange out my empty shell for a full one. I plumbed it into the kegerator and went to pour a glass from my other tap Polestar Pilsner by Lefthand, and what do ya know, nothing but foam. I freaking blew that keg as well. So I had to place another order, this time I went with Bristol's Yellow Kite Pilsner seasonal release, it's prob my favorite pilsner well really really close as I absolutely adore Happy Hop Pilsner by Bull and Bush.

YellowKiteWeb_1.jpg

I'm also using this thread to document my beer consumption.

I picked up the Polestar on Feb 23ed and blew it on July 20th. I can happily call that a great 5 months of service. I can also say that this beer DID NOT GO BAD. It was delicious from the 1st pour to its last.

1. Feb 17th - Apr 15th Beehive 8 weeks
2. Feb 23rd - Jul 20th Polestar 20 weeks
3. Apr 15th - Jul 20th Beehive 13 weeks
4. Jul 20th - Beehive
5. Jul 27th - Yellow Kite