So for Patty's day I bought some Guinness in a can

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by Wurm, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Wurm

Wurm Bratwurst and Beer

Any special thing I'm supposed to do to pour this? Since the local Irish Pub closed (sad sad day that was) I need a Guinness fix.

2. 2K6TBSS

2K6TBSS Active Member

The ball in the can is the "widget". IIRC it has a small amount of CO2 that when you open the can it gets released into the beer.

You don't need to do anything special when pouring it into a glass. The "widget" is what will give the Guinness the wavy settling up effect that you get when you pour.

3. Setharsis

Setharsis Boot'tye Zdorovy

4. Wurm

Wurm Bratwurst and Beer

Well its good thats for damn sure...

5. NASTY

NASTY Cold Fire

True. I went to some Guiness event on the USS Intrepid a few years back. Actually about 9 to 10 years ago. They served Guiness all night long and at each dinner table there were these poster boards with facts about the stout. My table said "Guiness is nitrogenous." That's pretty much the only thing I can remember from that night.

6. Joebiech

Joebiech Too ugly for a picture :P

The cans still have them but the bottles no longer seem to have the widgets.

7. thechenman

thechenman No One of Consequence

That's becasue Guiness in the bottled is meant to be consumed directly from the bottle, not a glass.

8. Wurm

Wurm Bratwurst and Beer

Bleh, Guinness in a bottle sucks ass.

9. Setharsis

Setharsis Boot'tye Zdorovy

I still prefer a Guinness in a glass to most other brews.

10. badwhale

badwhale New Member

IIRC, the ball is nothing but a plastic ball. There's no nitrogen in it, however it's surface and the little hole in it does something to mix the nitrogen in the can, and give you that "waterfall" effect.

Will

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widget_(beer)

ETA: Yes, Guiness uses Nitrogen in cans, bottles and on tap. That's why it has that smooth creamy mouthfeel. C02 has more bite.

11. Joebiech

Joebiech Too ugly for a picture :P

Does that mean when the bottles had widgets in them, I was supposed to pour them out into a glass?

12. tomthirtysix

tomthirtysix Wishing I was as cool as Phil

Depends which bottle, Draught or Stout.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. thinde

thinde Well-Known Member

3/4 Irish I am; but I'ld still take a hoppy IPA over something that taste as smooth as a milkshake. JMHO.

14. modo22

modo22 Well-Known Member

I am not a fan...but wanted to celebrate with one today....went to two large stores and both were sold out....really? Not sure how you can't plan for that.

15. Bryan L

Bryan L New Member

What is the difference between the Draught and Stout?