• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

suggestions

carddoug

Banned
Really enjoyed Toads Hollow's 2005 Pinot Noir. Any suggestions for my next bottle of wine? I like merlot, not a big fan of fuller body red's yet.

I haven't found many wines I enjoy, but love trying new ones. Maybe a Merlot that is a little fruity? (if there is such a thing).

And any other suggestions based on the toads hollow Pinot would be great! Thanks for looking!

I don't know what your price point is, but if you like Merlot and don't want to go French, I would suggest Merlot from the following vineyards:

Stags Leap
Clos du Val
Duckhorn
Beringer
Groth
Chateau St. Jean

Now needless to say that the Reserve and Estate wines tend to be much better, but it all depends on your comfort zone in terms of price.

St. Emillion and Pomerol regions of Bordeaux in France make some fantastic Merlot wines as well, but the French varietals do not tend to be as fruity as the Merlot made stateside. To each his own though right?

I am from Australia and we are extremely lucky in the wine department. I dont know if you can get thefollowing where you live, bt these are some of my best if you can get your hands on them.

Hunter Valley NSW
Margan merlot (any year all fantastic)
Margan Barbera

Tempus Two Merlot

Margeret River W.A.
Capel Vale Merlot and Cab Sav

Vasse Felix
Classic Dry Red
Merlot
Cab Sav

Just to name a few I have plenty more from other regions of Oz if you are interested and can get them.

If you enjoyed the Pinot try any Pinot Noir from Oregon's Willamette Valley. That area for some reason puts out fantastic Pinot. Also, I have to agree with thechenman on the Stag's Leap Merlot. It is freaking incredible.