• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Great Smoked Salmon Faceoff!

Got up this AM, made a nice pot of coffee, picked out a nice morning cigar (Leon Jimenes, btw), and figured I'd see who won the "Great Salmon Smoke-off".

WTF ...

Got to agree with Swissy, figure the judges probably all imbibed a bit too much of the grape, and forgot to post the results. Let's hope they remembered to fill out their judging forms first.

hope it's not a case of going from judges to lushes. :p

sack said:
hope it's not a case of going from judges to lushes. :p
[snapback]290660[/snapback]​
Now, that is one hard phrase to say if you are the latter. :laugh:

Jack Straw said:
Got up this AM, made a nice pot of coffee, picked out a nice morning cigar (Leon Jimenes, btw), and figured I'd see who won the "Great Salmon Smoke-off".

WTF ...

Got to agree with Swissy, figure the judges probably all imbibed a bit too much of the grape, and forgot to post the results. Let's hope they remembered to fill out their judging forms first.
[snapback]290651[/snapback]​

DITTO - right down to the Leon Jimenes ???

Dem der snooty little finger in the air poofy wine drinkers can't hold up their responsibility. Send a shipment to me to take to the York Herf and I'll guaranty results by midnight Saturday. Beer drinkers and hell raisers don't muck around!

So the fish are both gone, empty bottles of wine litter the table, ashtrays filled with the remains of some wonderful cigars...I'll bet it was a great evening!

Now how about you bunch of Left Coast sleeping in all day bastiges get your butts up and tell us all the results!

And photos...lots of photos!!

At what point do we get Price, Waterhouse & Cooper involved to quell any controversy?

-D :p

Great, pics of a bunch of winos, better dressed then the drunks here but still the same.

being from California the whole vote was probably contested and now a new contest will need to be convened to determine a runoff candidate. then at a later date with multiple tasting already having taken place they will determine it to be a draw in which case the attorneys from both contestants will have to hire lawyers to sort it out and in ten years it will be heard before the supreme court as part of an animal cruelty and environmental destruction case.

Just kidding guys hope you had fun.

wow, blind taste test, looks very official.

nice slideshow of pics! :thumbs:

:laugh:

Looks like someone had too much fun last night...

:thumbs:

After hours of deliberation and libations a winner has been choosen!

You can see all of the pictures HERE.

But first, let me fill you on some of the details of the evening. We weren't the only one anticipating this event, the judges were spreading the word of a Great Smoked Salmon Face-off as well. As you can see in the pictures one of our esteemed judges brought a beautiful Salmon chocolate cake to event, we also had a bottle of wine donated by a local wine shop who found the event quite intriguing and was looking to get himself on the panel of judges. He didn't make the cut.

Our panel of 7 judges included a local radio personality, radio people, advertising executives, car collectors, a couple of self proclaimed salmon heads, and all a bunch of foodies and oenophiles. Let me publicly thank them for the hours of grueling work they had to endure last night ;)

Here are the results:
In the category of appearance, Salmon A scored 62 points and Salmon B scored 55 points.

In the category of texture, Salmon A scored 45 points and Salmon B scored 62 points.

In the category of flavor, Salmon A scored 50 points and Salmon B scored 59 points.

Comments:
Salmon A, won the appearance category with its beautiful presentation. Judges thought it had a less traditional look, sophesticated with a unique look for a smoked salmon. Texture was found to be a bit on the dry side and thought this would be a great ingrediant to add other dishes, i.e. salad, sandiches, pasta or scrambled eggs. A very mild sweeter flavor showing sweetness and hints of lemon with a lingering fishy aftertaste. Paired well with a sparkling wine but didn't stand up to the Pinots or Syrahs we were pouring.

Salmon B, was found to be more like a classic smoked salmon, flaky, dense, robust. Texture was moist and chewy. The smoky aroma of this salmon almost filled the room. It was commented that this was a hearty, football game, style of smoked salmon. It was found to be a bit too salty for a few of the judges but was thought to be a nice stand alone dish. Paired well with the Syrah and California style Pinots.

Total Points out of a possible 210 points:
Salmon A - 157 points
Salmon B - 176 points

The winner of the Great Smoked Salmon Face-off with a grand total of 176 points is ...... Swissy! Congratulations.

Thank you to both of our contestants for there extreme generosity and allowing us to experience both of your culinary talents. All of the judges and guests were very impressed with the quality of both entries and were quite thankful to experience such an event. Oh, and they want to know when they can expect to see these on the market shelves :D

:cool:

WTG Swissy!
Sorry HBS maybe you should stick to pig! :sign:

Clearly Swissy was the favorite in this smokeoff with his experience smoking fish. We need to have another smokeoff with either brisket or RIBS!

-Rob