• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Pleasure of Traditional Shaving

OpusXKC

MOΛΩN ΛABE
Recently I've run into a new hobby. That is the art of the traditional wetshave. Now, I've been using a brush and soap for about a year, but have just started using a single blade double edge safety razor. All I can say is WOW! I've never had such a great shave before! With only a little time behind the wheel my face is baby butt smooth, with none of the problems I usually have (burn, ingrown hair, or breakouts).

What got me started was a series of videos on youtube by Mantic59. I've learned so much, and now enjoy shaving instead of hating it.

A few quick keys to a good proper shave.

-Face Prep -- Make sure your face is warm and hydrated before you even think of starting. It also helps if you have warm lather.

-Multi-Pass Shaving -- Believe it or not you should do more than ONE pass on your face when shaving. Make sure you lather before each pass. Going "with the grain", "against the grain" and "across the grain", will help to get you that baby butt smooth shave.

-After care -- After your done shaving make sure you apply some products to help relieve you're face. Some Witch Hazel, and a traditional after shave (like Aqua Velva) will make a world of difference.

I have been using a DE for over a year now and won't ever go back. It took me about a month to get down a technique, habit, and for my face to adjust before I realized all the benefits.

I agree! I have been shaving with an old Gilette toggle safety razor for a few years now. My five o'clock shadow doesn't appear until 10:00pm now. Also, the razors are dirt cheap. I usually get mine for .40 per blade. Who doesn't like a hot shave??

Yup. Started last summer . . . '75 Gillette SS, Red Personna blades, BBE brush, NB shave cream, "Teacher" shave mug, and a shelf full of Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Royall, and Pinaud. Good stuff.

~Boar

Yep, I've started recently as well. A big motivation was this thread (linky).

I'm just using a simple Boots DE razor for now, but I'll upgrade to a Merkur or a Gillette soon. For Father's Day the wife got me a Truefitt & Hill badger bush along with a cream and aftershave sampler pack that has been very useful.

x2 on Mantic59's YT channel. Doc posted a link to them in the aforementioned link and it's been invaluable in keeping me from lacerating my carotid artery.

I started just over a year ago, and won't be going back. End of.

I highly recommend getting at least an Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush, as they came highly recommended on B&B. I may be a newb to shaving but there was a huge increase in shave quality going from a cheapo brush I bought at Walmart to this. The two can't be compared. The Edwin Jagger can be found for as little as $35 at some online stores.

I've also found that I tend to like Persona and Feather blades so far. I ended up getting a blade sampler from an online store, which was a very wise choice.

I've been wet shaving for about 20yrs. I have brushes made by Shavemac, Vulfix and Rooney. I mostly use soaps by Trufit & Hill, Geo. Trumpers and Castle Forbes. I started using a DE last January for the first time since 1970. I use a Merkur Progress modified by a guy named Mer and called a Mergres. I highly recommend them. I use Feather Blades. Somehow I managed to come into possession of these:

-CASED RAZORS-

1911 OS Script Gillette logo, , 2 Blade boxes, silver plated
1920’s Pocket Model
1921 New Standard SN#421378A
New Improved Tuckaway (mint) no SN (Jan-Aug 28) with shipper
1930 NEW Oxford set, Common Bar Handle
1934-40 Aristocrat Pin seal leather case
1936 NEW Red and Black set. Common Bar Handle
1940 Gold Tech with case and shipper
1937 Sheraton set
1941 Ranger Tech
1946-47 Aristocrat Br. Box, cream lining
1946-47 Aristocrat Br. Box, cream lining
1946-47 Aristocrat BR. Box burgundy lining.
1946-47 Aristocrat Blue Box
1949 Milord
1948- 50 Aristocrat
1948-49 Super Speed
1950 V3 Super Speed
1953 Rocket HD (aluminum handle)
1953 Rocket HD (aluminum handle) NOS
1953 Y1 President
1956 B4 Super Speed
1958 D3 TV Super Speed
1960 F2 Fat Boy
1965 Techmatic NOS

-LOOSE RAZORS-
1920’s OS Silver plated
1931 Goodwill #162 cap
1948-49 Super Speed
1952 X3 Super Speed
1953 Y2 President
1956 B3 Flair tip Super Speed
1956 B3 Red tip Super Speed
1958 TV Special
1961 G2 Fat Boy adjustable
1964 J2 Slim adjustable
1964 J3 Aristocrat
1973 T4 Black handled Flair tip
1976 W3 Super adjustable, long black handle

Some say I have an acquisition disorder. I say, I just like to collect old stuff.

Doc.

I agree with you, except that I use a atraight!

Rene

Same here, and I'm not turning back any time soon. I do keep one of those 15 bladed, vibrating, nuclear Mach-50,000 safety razors around for the few occassions when I'm in a hurry and can't take the time but nothing beats a straight razor. It's a private time...where everything is put on hold.

You relax and take a deep breath. Strop with a hot towel over your face. Preshave oil. Pull out your favourite badger brush and get a nice lather going with your coconut oil shaving soap and just ignore the world.

Finish it off with a fragrant, manly aftershave.

And hey, think of all the accessories you get to buy if you're so inclined. You get a handful of fine quality heirloom straight razors (they're not all the same, let me assure you). Cases, brushes, holders, leather strops, canvas strops, that Norton 4k/8k and a collection of different grade pastes for your sharpening needs, soaps, oils, aftershave lotions...you end up spending hours on straight razor forums, networking with others in your area, trading sharpening techniques and contacts.

Another happy DE Shaver here.

Like Doc, I seem to have an AD issue, my razors include:
Gillette President
Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable
Gillette Aristocrat Non-Adjustable
Gillette Executive
Gillette Fatboy
Gillette SS
Gillette #66 British
Gillette #58 British
Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff (Gillette NEW head on a BRW custom handle)

Soaps & Creams:
TOBS Almond, St James, Avocado, Rose
Proraso
Speick
D.R. Harris Arlington
Mama Bears Sandalwood Rose, Ocean Rain, Lavender and Vanilla, Sandalwood Vanilla, Good Morning Honey
Musgo Real
QED Sandalwood and Sandalwood+Rose
George F Trumpers Limes and Sandalwood
Michell's Wool Fat

Brushes:
Art of Shaving (Crap)
Shavemac Custom 28mm Knot Silvertip Badger Brush

Razors:
Feathers and feathers only.

I thought about starting to do the traditional wet shave awhile ago but didn't for some reason. Perhaps I shall look into it again.

I am a new convert myself...only being shaving this way for a couple of months now and loving every minute of it.

The OP's status update the other day about DE wetshaving got me googling it last night, and I ended up ordering a bunch of stuff. I've hated shaving ever since I started doing it, mostly because I have extremely tough stubble, and very sensitive skin, which doesn't make for a good combination. I always cut myself and never got a truly good, clean shave no matter what creams/gels I used, and no matter which of the usual razors I tried. I have a good feeling that the DE razor, brush, creams and other goodies should rectify my problem.

Wetshaving product aquisition has hit me hard too.
I own a 1908 Single Ring (Cased)
1930's Aristocrat (Cased)
British #21 (cased)
2x British #16's (cased)
British #66 (cased)
British # 58 (cased)
1940's SS (Cased)
1951 Aristocrat
2x 1959 Fatboys
Merkur HD

Colognes are the next phase in mt AD, so far I have amassed

Parfum de Nicolai 'Carre Das'
'Vetiver'
'Baladin'
'New York'

Floris No 89

Geo F Trumper Astor
Eau de Quinine

Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar

No wonder I have little money left over for cigars these days!!

Pete

Wet shaver here as well for the past 3 years. Before that, I despised the daily ritual but love it now.

Mantic is the Sensei of wet shaving for sure. For Noobs, look at Badger & Blade for info. Plenty of great people there and good deals to be had on anything used you need or want, plus lots of great info on where to get new.

I own 7 brushes, same number of razors (including birth quarter Gilette Fat Boy and a late '50s Super Speed gifted to me), and at least 2 dozen soaps and 12 or more creams, + a lovely Moss Scuttle as seen HERE by Sara Bonneyman Pottery. I have the blue one in large size.

Someone above mentioned Feather blades. I use those once in a while but lean more towards Derby and Israeli Red Personnas. My favourite razor is the Merkur Gold Slant and the Feather's are a bit sharp for normal use in that.

Sounds cool Ill have to try it. I just passed a mens shop the other day and thats all they sold

The OP's status update the other day about DE wetshaving got me googling it last night, and I ended up ordering a bunch of stuff. I've hated shaving ever since I started doing it, mostly because I have extremely tough stubble, and very sensitive skin, which doesn't make for a good combination. I always cut myself and never got a truly good, clean shave no matter what creams/gels I used, and no matter which of the usual razors I tried. I have a good feeling that the DE razor, brush, creams and other goodies should rectify my problem.

Sounds cool Ill have to try it. I just passed a mens shop the other day and thats all they sold
Your first shaves with a DE will not be satisfactory. You will cut yourself. You will suffer razor burn. There is a learning curve. Unfortunately, that curve is on your face, but the pain will be a reliable barometer in evaluating your technique. Watch Mantic's videos and realize from the beginning that you know nothing about shaving. You know even less, if you've been shaving with a pivoting head cartridge razor.

Doc

Thanks for the advice Doc, hell, no pain, no gain right? :)

Your first shaves with a DE will not be satisfactory. You will cut yourself. You will suffer razor burn. There is a learning curve. Unfortunately, that curve is on your face, but the pain will be a reliable barometer in evaluating your technique. Watch Mantic's videos and realize from the beginning that you know nothing about shaving. You know even less, if you've been shaving with a pivoting head cartridge razor.

Doc