• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Pleasure of Traditional Shaving

I don't know if this is still the case (I assume it at least might be) but the Badger & Blade forum frequently has low price to free "newbie" kits for sale, Greg.  And as noted, deals can be found on eBay---I use a Gillette Fatboy adjustable that I found for a fairly reasonable price (don't remember exactly what, though).  In the long run, what you save on blades will more than make up for the initial price---I pay about 8¢ a blade and they last a week!

Of course, then you'll start looking at brushes . . . and creams . . . and aftershaves . . . and shaving mugs . . .  :sign:

It's pretty much exactly like cigars, bro.  Just roll with it!  :whistling:

I grew out a full beard this year, first time in like a quarter century, so I'm just shaving the edges now, 1-3 times a week.  I still like to get out the stuff, though.

~Boar

Kingantz said:
Ah man, you guys have got me really wanting to try this, but dang...$50 for a razor!  I remembered my dad always used one of the double edged safety razors, brush, and even had one of those dispensers that heats up the shaving cream.  So I asked him today if he still had it/used it, but unfortunately it all "disappeared" a number of years ago (my son lives with my dad...so we both know where it went).  Definitely going to be on the lookout when I hit yard sales/flea markets now. 
Greg, I know the feeling... but once you shave with one, you'll get it.  Edwin Jagger's running a good deal right now:

https://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/product/EJSKB

For fifty quid (looks like about $80), this is worth it.  I love their tech-style heads, and their brushes are descent.  WS & Derby are crappy blades IMO, but if you pulled the trigger on something like this, I could pass along some more worthy blades for you to try.

edited to add dollar value

I gave the Simpson Colonel its first run.  

So far so good, this thing lathered up really well and appears to have an excellent balance between softness and a solid scritch.  I did a face lather with Mikes Natural Hungarian Lavender and the brush performed really well. It is a little smelly but, outside of that I am very pleased so far.  I will check in after a week or so and update again, but for now I can definitely recommend this brush without hesitation.  

Wash your new brush in the shampoo of your choice. It is hair after all.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
Wash your new brush in the shampoo of your choice. It is hair after all.

Doc
Thanks Doc.  Its not too offensive but, definitely there.  

Think I'll give it a washing tonight and see if I can accelerate the De-smellification.

A huge shout out to Doc, sent me an awesome safety razor and blades!!  Got it today and can't wait to give it a try.

THANK YOU very much Doc!!  I really do appreciate it!!

Well, I hope you  enjoy it. Your granddaddy probably used one just like it. But, before you put a sharp blade to your throat, watch these videos. https://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59 I'd sooner not have blood on my hands...or yours.  :whistling:

Doc

Be careful if Doc sent you those feather blades of his they can bite until you get used to them.  I went through a few blades and have settled in went with Personna.  For me I found they were a little more friendly.

As doc said, watch those videos. Technique and good prep go a long way.  I am not sure if it helped but I started using a pre shave, a good soap and an aftershave balm and had no problems with my transition.  I am not sure if the pre shave is needed but, I have it so I use it. 

Anyhow take your time enjoy the experience.  

Also, I did the shampoo trick on my brush and it definitely put a solid dent in the smell.  A couple more lathers and I think it will be gone completely.  I ended up using some Speick Cream this a.m. it completely masked the smell during application and had another great lather.  So far I am really enjoying the Simpson Brush it has a much stiffer backbone than my synthetic and really works much better for face lathering.  

Shaved and loved it! And no blood! :D Now to get brush, soap and mug. Thanks again Doc! Going to put this thing to some serious use.

Don't skimp on the brush. A good one will last you the rest of your life. Buy the best you can afford. Simpson, Vulfix, Rooney and Shavemac all make quality brushes. You can use soaps, but I like creams better. It's a lot easier to make a lather. I leave the soaps to straight razor users, who need the added slipperiness. You can spend a lot of money on a bowl. I did. I bought a fancy piece of pottery from a woman in Canada. It's beautiful, but I never use it. I'm afraid I'll break it. I use a soup bowel shaped like a coffee mug with a handle. Works great and it was cheap.

Doc

Not sure what I have but my wife bought me some equipment from The Art of Shaving store and love the Sandalwood shaving cream.

Bath & Body Works' C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream - get you some!  It's re-branded Proraso and is excellent!  I've been using it almost exclusively for the past few months and it's been in my rotation for a few years now. 

Edit to Add: BTW, Bath & Body Works puts it on sale for 'Buy Two Get One', so stock up.

Nicely done, Doc.  Greg, welcome to the club.  He'll have you using Trumper's Rose before you know it.

Devil Doc said:
I did. I bought a fancy piece of pottery from a woman in Canada. It's beautiful, but I never use it. I'm afraid I'll break it.

Doc
I did.  I had the Bonnyman piece for a long while intact, then I broke the outer bowl.  I still use the inner bowl and plan to buy another piece.  Loved using it.
I switch between creams and soaps, depending on my mood.  DR Harris Marlboro soap is some good stuff.  On the flip side, Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado or Proraso green is awesome.

Got a boar hair brush, mug and soap at a local Walgreens just as a starter. Picked up a tube of Neutragena shave cream too as there wasn't much else to choose from. And the journey begins!

I started with an Omega boar brush.  It's a great, inexpensive way to get going with this obsession.

Picked up a badger sliver tip brush from the art of shaving this weekend. I used it yesterday. I must say it felt amazing. Soft on the face yet it help produce so much more lather then my previous brush. Definitely worth the extra cash.

Merkur 34C with Astra Platinum blades is my go-to.  The astra platinums may not be quite as aggressive as the feathers, but they're pretty close, last longer, and are a bit cheaper.

Still at it and thoroughly enjoying it! Ended up using the soap instead of the cream as it just works better. Face is smooth as a baby's bottom.

I like traditional shaving but sometimes if she twitches there can be a small nick.