• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Pleasure of Traditional Shaving

Still at it and thoroughly enjoying it! Ended up using the soap instead of the cream as it just works better. Face is smooth as a baby's bottom.

Glad you are enjoying it! I took me a while to shave correctly but now its actually therapeutic.

I'm not sure why that guy in the videos said to shave with the grain then against it then crossways. I tried doing that and it ripped my face all up.

kona1000 said:
I'm not sure why that guy in the videos said to shave with the grain then against it then crossways. I tried doing that and it ripped my face all up.
Dave Judging by your newest avitar pic you quit shaving... Lol

It's been almost 2 years to the day, so I thought I start this thread again:

So Wednesday was the day. I had acquired all of the basics, a razor, blades, soap and a brush. I woke up around 8:30 am and sat everything out, excited, but hopefully about my new path to a better shave.

I had purchased a mini gift set of White Birch and tobacco butter from Burlington Coat Factory. So, it wasn't a puck, nor really cream. It all ready had the yogurt consistency in the jar. It smelled more menthol than anything. No idea what white birch smelt like, and the tobacco smell was faint. I then pulled out the synthetic brush that came with the gift set and wasn't impressed.

I picked up my Shave Factory (Derby) razor bought from Sally's Beauty Supply and dropped it onto the tile floor. Should have taken that as a sign, but I inspected it and saw nothing wrong (as if I could tell) and proceeded. I placed the razor and the brush in my mug filled with warm water and took a shower.

After the shower I began by taking a dime sized mount of the cream with water and placed it is the mug and tried to work up a lather. It only made the cream more milky. Another bad sign. No matter how much I tried, no lather. I checked the directions. Which were of no help. I finally stuck the brush directly in the cream and applied. I then realized this was possibly a brushless soap. I remembered a few guys mentioning that slightly in the limited reviews I had found online, but never processed what that meant to actually applying it. I proceeded to lather my face and head with the shaving soap. The smell was very minimal. The brush was able to lather ok. But, sadly I could get the blade to catch on my skin. I was able to shave without incident. I didn't have any nicks or cuts, mostly because I followed all the advice of light pressure, but the blade never really came into contact to cut substantial facial hair (which I had a 3-4 day growth of). Then, it happened, the cream started to run down my head into my eyes. Which made me ask should I be doing my face and head at the same time, or should it be done separately? So, now looking like Carrie (minus the red color of blood) with milky white goo running down my head into my eyes, distracting my rhythm while applying a sharp blade to my face and head-ah, living the dream! I decided to power through, but sadly had it running down my neck to my chest and stomach. It was a bloody mess, especially compounded by the fact I didn't see any hair in the sink after each rinse. I was not impressed with the Personna blade (a last minute substitute from the Astra). It seemed to sit to far in and not set out far enough. Will definitely consider upgrading to VDH, Astra and possibly Feather blades-hell anything else, maybe a rusty soup can lid.

I had planned to do 2 passes WTG only (remember it my first time). But after the 2nd pass left me with a goatee stubble (under the nose, mouth and chin) and virtually no hair removed from the back of my head. I finished and went to take a nap, but couldn't sleep, because I needed to address my failure. So, I got up and did one final pass against the grain and did not duplicate the messy disaster of earlier. I got mostly all of the hair that remained. I still had some very light hair on my cheeks. But, I felt it was good enough as I concluded I would also need to refine my technique by much more practice. It was the closest shave I have had in a long time.

Immediate takeaways: I got over my anxiety of having the blade contact my skin (when it did) so that's gone. The knowledge that my face has many more subtle contours than I knew-but thankfully no cuts or nicks occured. That I need to do more research on the selection and use of my tools and products. Also watch more videos, ask questions on the forum, educate myself by reading other members posts on the forum. I concluded it's the long game I need to focus on and the goal was to improve.

So all in all, not dissuaded, just a lot discouraged, because I thought I had prepared well for my first time-not even close: "Beware mileage may vary". I'll be doing it again, but I don't know if I'm suppose to shave everyday or when I have growth after a few days.

I did feel manly, but the little girl in me died a messy death to achieve that.

My second wet shave.

I actually waited an extra day because I did have that much beard growth. But, I did have more experience and was brimming with confidence. I soaked the razor in warm water and not the brush. I actually ran into a issue when showering that the water never got cold. Normally, I would have taken that as a bad sign, I powered through and wetted the tip of the brush and dipped it into the shave butter directly and applied. It lathered ok, but I know other products would do much better. I decided to not do my head (I'll alternate days or decide to do that after more shaves). While I placed the razor where my sideburn end and tilted the razor, I still don't feel I've improved getting the best the angle from my first shave. I made to WTG passes, which resulted in patches of stubble still being on both cheeks and my lower jaw and chin (my problem areas) but they were better due to my first shave reducing the majority of the beard. I snapped to my senses and did a third pass ATG. I washed out my brush, razor and blade; I added coconut oil to the blade before storing it away. I rinsed my head with cold water under the shower spicket and patted my face dry with a face towel. I ended using a tea tree balm and Dove men's moisturizer.

I noticed I had two weepers in the exact same spots just above the tops of the corner of my lips. But, that was all the damage done. My technique is still crap though. I will admit I have taken having a light touch to heart, which has been a godsend, but my strokes and hesitant, too long at times and I go back over the same areas too much from what I've seen in the videos (areas w/o shave foam). My other take away was the feeling I had looking forward to and after the shave. It was a mixture of confidence, as I earlier mentioned, and elation. Not, because I had another shave under my belt, but how great it felt, how I looked forward to the actual shave itself. I was pumped, like answering the bell for a prizefight. It was almost zen like during the shave itself. But, I left renewed, refreshed and feeling good. So, there's something to what several members said about shaving daily for the feeling. I'm starting to get it-it's very therapeutic. While not BBS, I was please with this second attempt.

I feel a little stupid, every time I think, "why hadn't I done this sooner or where has this been all my life?"

I had skipped shaving my head yesterday and only focused on my face. After much thought, I decided to either go back to using my multiblade on my head or alternate days with my DE.

Due to my water heater acting up after a couple of power outages during yesterday's thunderstorms. I couldn't shave my head in the shower, so tonight after a cold shower. I decided to shave my head a second time with my DE in the sink.

Intially only have my head, actually gave me a calm demenor about this shave. I lathered up with Tri-coastal White Birch and Tobacco butter. I did three passes, WTG, ATG and XTG. I took my time, swith hands when needed and the result...Wait for it!

An amazing close head shave with no nicks or cuts. I even amazed myself. I rinsed my head with cold water under the shower spicket. I finished with tea tree spray and Dove Care Men's moisturizer.

Yul Brenner, Telly Savales and Mr. Clean eat your heart's out. I'm gorgeously handsome.

Whew! Another small victory

So, I started to see some stubble on my chin and decided to try my third wet shave. A friend's suggested I shave at night before bed, to which I agreed. It allows me a quiet environment, a relaxing state after my shower and no time constraints (rushing through the process) like the mornings.

I even added a twist by making a night of it by lighting up a Ghurka Master Blend cigar, prepared and ate dinner, watched "Person of Interest" and proceeded to shower. Luckily, my neighbor, whose a handyman reset my water heater for $20, so no more cold showers.

I dipped the razor into a mug of warm water as I showered, not the brush (it's a cheap synthetic one). I used a Personna blade (third use). After my shower, I lathered up with Tri-coastal White Birch and tobacco shaving butter. I had a better handle on how to apply this brushless farce of a cream, now after three shaves. I made three masterful, but measured passes: WTG, XTG, & ATG. I felt a little tug from the razor on the start of the last pass, so realized it was time for a new razor. But, I'm going to see if I can squeeze one more shave before retiring the blade.

I washed my face with warm water in the sink, then rinsed it with cold water under the shower spicket, and patted it dry. Not weepers, nicks or cuts. While not BBS, in three face shaves and two head shaves, the result is staggering compared to my old single blade BIC disposables, it was night and day. No irritation, rough patches, stray hairs, nothing. I also realized that in the summer my beard growth is less than the winter months, so the hair reduction aspect has been perfect for me. I finished off with a tea tree oil spray and then Kiss My Face Olive & Aloe lotion. It was sheer nirvana to have my face just be calm, and not recovering from the BICs butchering-it was what you'd desire before bed-peace.

So, while not perfect, I'd score it an 86. Still reading up on wet shaving, watching the videos and thinking through what steps to incorporate to make this work best for me, but dare I say it, I'm pleased after only three full shaves to look in the mirror and see my handiwork. I've dubbed this time for me as the "golden hour".

Would welcome any feedback

Sounds like you've got the technique down. Perhaps try some other products, since you aren't digging the brushless cream. I personally love the C.O. Bigelow (re-branded Proraso) cream from Bath and Body Works.

Any lubricant you use should be worked in really well, to allow the emollients to do their job softening the hair.

Sounds like you've got the technique down. Perhaps try some other products, since you aren't digging the brushless cream. I personally love the C.O. Bigelow (re-branded Proraso) cream from Bath and Body Works.

Agreed. That's the plan.

Trufitt & Hill, Taylor, and Trumper's are the "Big Three" when it comes to shave creams. Spendy, but a little goes a very long way. Art of Shaving and Nancy Boy (no, really!) are also extremely good.

I note you've already defaulted to face lathering, which is actually better, IMHO. Really softens the beard up for the blade. Get a nice brush and that part will be the highlight of your shave!

~Boar

Can someone tell me what is mysol croap and specific instructions of how to use it? Someone offered me some, but I'm not clear what I'm considering accepting.

It's been fun going back through this old shaving thread and the other one... hard to believe you guys talked me into wet shaving over seven years ago. The shave den--at least the highlights--looks like this now:

Truefitt & Hill Regency Ebony Super Badger-- I think it's a rebadged Vulfix 223x, but there seems to be some online debate about this...
Edwin Jagger Black Aluminum Travel Pure Badger
Taylor of Old Bond Street Brush Travel Tube

Edwin Jagger Ebony Georgian--still my go-to razor; relatively mild, but works great w/a Feather
'54 Gillette Super Speed--my travel razor

A whole bunch of Feathers from fleaBay

Schwarzweisskeramik XL Black Scuttle-- I can't recommend this highly enough

Neutrogena Razor Defense Face Scrub
NIVEA Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Penhaligon's Endymion (cream and balm)
Truefitt & Hill Grafton (cream and balm)
Edwin Jagger Sandalwood
Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado
Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street

After a bunch of samplers I'm realizing those five creams are my favorites. Kind of like cigars I suppose; I've been doing this long enough to finally know what I like. I still need to get some Castle Forbes samplers, and I'm still trying to ratchet up enough courage to try a Merkur Slant one of these days as well.

Arise old thread and be born again!

I have truly gotten back into this hobby, and finally accomplished a goal of mine, that being learning to use a straight razor. The learning curve was not that bad, and the results are fantastic. Now I have a dozen or so straight razors that I have honed and use regularly. Of course I also expanded into way to many soaps, aftershaves and fragrances, but hey that's part of the fun.

My SOTD (shave of the day) from Halloween this year.

20211030_180554.jpg

20211031_101832.jpg

Welcome back! Great thread revival -- I was afraid that this had been necrohumped (as opposed to necrobumped) by a spammer. I remember reading this thread when it was first started.

I didn’t even know we had this thread. I’ve been shaving with safety razors for about 10 years now. Tried the straight razor for a while and loved the ritual of it, but ended up just getting lazy. Have a small collection of different safety razors from the 50’s that I use now. Feather blades are my preferred blade of choice. Haven’t actually sat down and took the time recently to pull out my old Simpson brushes and do a proper shave. Might have to take some time and do it. Lord knows I have a huge box full of different soaps, brushes, razors and blades because I never tend to get into things halfway.

Forgot to pack my safety razor on a trip this past summer. Had to use one of those 3 blade things and it was absolutely miserable.