• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Warped Experiment: Lirio Rojo

Brickhouse

J.C. Newman owes me royalties.
This will be the first of six separate reviews I will conduct on Warped cigars over the next few months. My plan is to post a review of each Warped cigar I have, then create one thread at the end which will compile all of their links into one thread and title it The Warped Experiment.

I have grown very interested in this line of cigars over the past few months, seeing a few reviews and taking note on some individuals consistently smoking them and seeking them out. It's been since Pete Johnson was coming into his own within the business that I've been as curious and excited about a brand.

So with the help of Devin Cole, @Devin Cole, who was gracious enough to set me up with the stock which I will sample, I will smoke and review them for my take and feedback here on CP. If you're as interested as I have been, I hope you find the reviews beneficial. I promise to be truthful in my reviews as always, and am hoping for the best. Devin provided me a suggested order in which to smoke them, which I will stick to. I will try and keep the reviews short and to the point, as no one likes it when they drag on. On to the first.

Warped Lirio Rojo:

As suggested by Devin, I smoked this cigar indoors...while catching up on Game of Thrones.

Vitola: Corona
Wrapper: Nicaraguan – Aganorsa
Filler: Nicaraguan – Aganorsa
Binder: Nicaraguan – Aganorsa
Gauge: 44
Length: 5 1/2″
Pairing: Diet Coke
Entertainment: Game of Thrones Season 6 Episode 6

Prelight:

A fantastic looking cigar. Truly well put together. I was impressed with the construction and color. A nice tan wrapper with very little veins. Just a beautiful looking corona. Prelight draw was a tad loose, but nothing worrisome. I did not pick up much off the prelight draw.

Lirio 1.jpg

First Third:

Lots of smoke....a lot. If there's one way to win over my heart with a cigar, it's pillows of smoke, and this cigar had it. I thought I'd need a napkin to wipe some of the smoke off of my chin as it fell out. I'm figuring out the profile, just at the moment, just a bit peppery and mild sweetness.

Lirio 2.jpg

Second Third:

Still tons of smoke...awesome. Great burn, razor sharp, no voids or runs to speak of. I like that this cigar doesn't need me to babysit it. It knows how to behave and allows me the freedom to watch my show and just smoke it. Taste....still some good peppery flavors and sweetness, though the sweetness has really come out to play. Reminiscent of syrup. Can I call a cigar syrupy??? I'm going to.

(Sorry, forgot to take a pic here)

Final Third:

Rock steady, but boy have I noticed the strength creep up on me. I got to thinking that I thought this cigar reminded me a lot of a Bolivar Gold Medal, which I've never compared another cigar to as it is one of my all time favorites...but it does. Where it certainly varies is it doesn't stay quite as smooth and creamy. Lots of smoke, definitely, but I'm not sure I say creamy. I find the flavor profile similar, but the Lirio Rojo has a strength to it I haven't seen in quite awhile. Maybe it is that I haven't had a meal in about 4 hours...I'm not sure. But it's strong. Which isn't my favorite quality about it. Burn, amount of smoke, flavor, all rock steady and beautiful.

Lirio 3.jpg

Final Thoughts:

I loved the cigar. I found it to be a fantastic smoke in regards to performance and flavor. I did find it too strong. Which was disappointing because I loved the flavor so much. I had sat down the entire smoke, and when I stood up I realized I was in some trouble. Thankfully it was about 10:30pm when I finished and I went straight to bed. Other than the strength I would have compared this to a few Cubans that I like to smoke. QdO Corona and BGM come to mind. But the strength set it apart from those pretty easily.

Devin was nice enough to include multiples of everything I will review, so it'll be fun to go back and revisit this one.

Points....I don't really know how to award points to cigars. If I were grading this cigar like a high school essay, I'd give it a 91%. It's an A, but a few things weren't in my wheelhouse.

Awesome review, I look forward to the rest of the Warped Experiment. I'm not quick to get on the bandwagon with what I call "hipster" brands, but with Warped I'm sold....Kyle Gellis' man bun and all. Some of the lines I like better than others, but the Lirio Rojo and Don Reynaldo are some of my favorite sticks in the humi, bar none. Look forward to reading more!

This is cool. I'm a little behind on newer, well received, brands. Looking forward to the remaining reviews.

Well done, and thanks for starting to conduct the experiment.

Nice read Wyatt. Enjoyed it and hearing your opinion. I'll be following you now and might even have to find that stick. I like strong at least at this point.

Sound like it was CC meets Joya De Nicaragua? Great review!

Nice review. I am curious about this brand as well. I like the PL sizes they are rolling.

Excellent review, Wyatt!