• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

This Guy Says He Can Make 20-Year-Old Rum in 6 Days

Thanks for the article link.  Without chemicals life itself would be impossible.  I used to work at a chemical company and we used phenols poisonous in large amounts but also in cough drops and I suppose whiskey.

Interesting. Purests won't like it, but if it tastes the same and is cheaper, who cares? Kinda like lab produced diamonds.

Any idea if his process is synthetic or enzymatic? Could you bioengineer the yeast to produce the compounds desired and blend mixtures for the appropriate flavor profile. Sounds logical in my head, but I have done any background lit. searches. 

Really interesting stuff.  Would be interesting to try a dram.

...and I heard you can make your c*ck grow 6" in 3 weeks! 

LINK

OK...all kidding aside. Could this be the spirits equivalent of what they do in the wine industry where they either aerate the wine with sulfur dioxide or when they use piston fermenter techniques versus conventional pump-over fermentation? 

BULL DOOKIE!!!!  I say if you want 20 year old rum, put it into a barrel and wait 20 years.

Smokin'Sims said:
Any idea if his process is synthetic or enzymatic? Could you bioengineer the yeast to produce the compounds desired and blend mixtures for the appropriate flavor profile. Sounds logical in my head, but I have done any background lit. searches. 
Bio-engineering yeast would be a huge undertaking since each compound would have to be engineered into the yeast genome independently.  Pulling the materials from wood chips/pulp will give you a rough equivalent to extraction from the barrel.

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been done before.  Everything sounds feasible, the only thing that they're missing from this process might be the nuanced chemical profile.  I'm guessing that they're focusing on a set number of esters to enhance and will miss the lower concentration esters.  But if you put this stuff into barrels, imagine a world where the youngest brown spirits start at 20 years old.

ironpeddler said:
...and I heard you can make your c*ck grow 6" in 3 weeks! 

LINK

OK...all kidding aside. Could this be the spirits equivalent of what they do in the wine industry where they either aerate the wine with sulfur dioxide or when they use piston fermenter techniques versus conventional pump-over fermentation? 

The internet is so much safer since they gave us the "hover" over a link to see the web addy  :laugh:

Never 100% safe when the Gary's of the world are lurking...

Intriguing. I might see if I can track a bottle down, seems to be about $45-50 at a couple of places(but nobody ships to TX because
our liquor laws are crap).

Makes me want to hunt up a bottle for Quad State and pass it around for "evaluation".

Joebunaga said:
Never 100% safe when the Gary's of the world are lurking...

Intriguing. I might see if I can track a bottle down, seems to be about $45-50 at a couple of places(but nobody ships to TX because
our liquor laws are crap).

Makes me want to hunt up a bottle for Quad State and pass it around for "evaluation".

That's a really good idea. We'd get a good dose of feedback from familiar folk. :thumbs:

*scoffs* Back in my day, we could turn 20 yr old brown liquor in about 6 minutes...[emoji57]

Think of it this way.  Does cherry cough medicine really taste like cherries or is it just an approximation?