• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What are you brewing?

I did my first AG batch last night (Rye IPA). I hit the target OG almost dead one with 74% efficiency, so I have plenty of room for improvement. My breakfast stout is in the bottles and done conditioning (though it doesn't taste very good :laugh: )
Didn't happen to see it, so forgive me if you posted it already, do you have the recipe you used for that Breakfast Stout?

I did my first AG batch last night (Rye IPA). I hit the target OG almost dead one with 74% efficiency, so I have plenty of room for improvement. My breakfast stout is in the bottles and done conditioning (though it doesn't taste very good :laugh: )
Didn't happen to see it, so forgive me if you posted it already, do you have the recipe you used for that Breakfast Stout?

It was just a NB kit

Not sure if anyone has seen this website but a friend ran across it and I thought it was interesting:
http://brew365.com/

Going to be brewing a Belgian Pale tonight with some honey malt and Pannepot yeast that I harvested from a bottle. I'm mostly just doing this so I have a big yeast cake to drop a big wheatwine onto.

what is your take on the honey malt?

I am thinking of reworking my Honey Brown ale. Looking for more sweetness in it. I also might lighten up the color a bit.
I need to figure out how to keep some of the malt sweetness in it. I thnk i was on track until I added a pound of honey about 3 days into the fermentation.
It then took off like a rocket and I ended up with a high ABV very dry beer. It was still good, just not what I was looking for.

I think I might add the honey to the secondary next time, see if I can leave some of it behind, with less yeast to processes it, I am hoping to get a more Honey flavor.

Tim

I am thinking of reworking my Honey Brown ale. Looking for more sweetness in it. I also might lighten up the color a bit.
I need to figure out how to keep some of the malt sweetness in it. I thnk i was on track until I added a pound of honey about 3 days into the fermentation.
It then took off like a rocket and I ended up with a high ABV very dry beer. It was still good, just not what I was looking for.

I think I might add the honey to the secondary next time, see if I can leave some of it behind, with less yeast to processes it, I am hoping to get a more Honey flavor.

Tim

Honey is too fermentable. I just don't think you're going to get honey flavor. Too delicate of a flavor that is mainly sugar, but I guess you if you can get honey for cheap it doesn't really matter.

Going to be doing my first beer as soon as the stuff comes in. I managed to pick up an IPA extract kit, but the use of dried yeast and pre-hopped malt didn't sound like it'd make the greatest beer, so I'm subbing in light dried malt extract for the corn sugar recommended by the can. I've got some Chinook and Cascade hop pellets for bittering and aroma, and some Burton Yeast instead of that dried stuff. Should be a good time. Probably too complicated for my first beer, but I like complicated.

Tim

First time I've used honey malt so I can't really say, though the wort had a nice honey character to it. Using actual honey in primary or secondary is just going to leave you with a dry, high ABV beer I would think.

Going to be doing my first beer as soon as the stuff comes in. I managed to pick up an IPA extract kit, but the use of dried yeast and pre-hopped malt didn't sound like it'd make the greatest beer, so I'm subbing in light dried malt extract for the corn sugar recommended by the can. I've got some Chinook and Cascade hop pellets for bittering and aroma, and some Burton Yeast instead of that dried stuff. Should be a good time. Probably too complicated for my first beer, but I like complicated.

Dry yeasts aren't inferior to liquid, they're actually much more user friendly. Only setback is there isn't as wide of a variety of dry yeast.

Ok, so I need to brew, but as most of you know my last batch got infected.
Now I am scared to reuse the bucket, thinking it my be holding on to some of the "bugs"

Any ideas onhow to ease my mind, so I can start this Porter....

Tim

Ok, so I need to brew, but as most of you know my last batch got infected.
Now I am scared to reuse the bucket, thinking it my be holding on to some of the "bugs"

Any ideas onhow to ease my mind, so I can start this Porter....

Tim

Maybe you should just brew a sour then so you wouldn't have to worry!

Just star san well and all will be alright.

I have come up with a great idea.......

with some help from you guys I will brew the Resurrection Pale Ale

It will be a simple Pale Ale, almost a SMaSH, but I ant to use 2 malts....

Here is the first grain bill.

8 lb Pale Ale Malt
2 lb Carahell

1.5oz Fuggel @ 60min
1.0oz Fuggle @ 30 min
1.0oz Fuggle @ 10

Mash temps to follow.......

THis will be pretty cheep and easy to brew, and if it gets infected, I will not be at a total loss.

I will also be buying 2 new buckets, but I want to see if this one will be usable.

then I will have 3 primary's......

Tim

Not sure if US plastics will ship there or not Tim, but I got a couple of these and love them. No-Chill ftw!

Dry yeasts aren't inferior to liquid, they're actually much more user friendly. Only setback is there isn't as wide of a variety of dry yeast.

x2 - you can make some very good beers with dry yeast. I've used Nottingham dry yeast for my batches so far and it's worked great.

My latest batch (a light cream ale) just finished bottle carbing. Turned out very nice, somewhat like a sam adams summer with a tad more hops.

Tim
Use it for priming sugar Tim. It will still ferment out in the secondary. Just be sure you boil it the same as the corn sugar though. Also not sure I remember how much you should use, as I haven't seen it used for that in some time. And I don't remember if the last guy who I saw use it got the honey flavor out of it that he wanted. So you may have to experiment a little.

And for your bucket problem. Just make sure you clean and sanitize a little bit more than usual. I have brewed many a fruit beer for the wife, and have reused the same buckets with NORMAL cleaning and it imparted no off-flavors.

Some new stuff, so I figured I'd update.

A basic Hefe with SN Kellerweis yeast. I completely underpitched this, but 48 hours later it's going nuts. At least I learned for the La Chouffe and Houblon Chouffe clones I want to harvest yeast for.

AND

Blind Pig clone...mmm...hops...

I'll let you know how they turn out in a few weeks.

I picked up 2 new 30L buckets, and some tubing.
Now I need some grain, and I will be all set.

Think maybe Munich, Simcoe, Notty....nice and simple

Then the Porter

Tim

After the 15th, this will be on tap...
I hope before to have the Porter in the primary, maybe the 13th after I get a few hours of sleep after I get off at 6am....

Pre Boil: 1.049 Expected OG: 1.058 Expected FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.9 Expected IBU: 32 Expected Color: 6

11 lb Belgian Pale Malt

60 min .5oz Simcoe
15 min .5oz Simcoe / Whirlfloc tab
Dry Hop .5oz Simcoe

Yeast: Danstar Nottinham

For more character I am going to toast 3 lb of the pale malt.

Tim

Ok,looks like I will get to brew tomorrow

Yeah baby..Beer and Cigars for Timmah!

I will brew my Porter tomorrow, then around the 15th I will put the SMaSH in the kettle, then soon after the Belgium Holiday Ale....

15 gallons this month, if all goes well.

Tim

I brewed a Brewers Best kit (California Imperial Ale) on Friday night and got it into the fermenter. It had a dry yeast packet which I added and stirred in, but I did not pre-pitch the yeast. The airlock has not been popping yet. I have done 5 or 6 batches up to this point and it seemed like most of them had been bubbling within 8-12 hours, but this one has been 48 now without any results. I had the bucket on the concrete floor in the basement in the same room that the AC is in, so I thought it might be too cold and moved it into another room that stays about 72ish. Would the colder temperature cause it to be that slow in fermentation or do you guys think I should get another dry yeast packet and pitch it and dump it in? Guess that is what I get for being lazy, but with the other batches I had done I just threw in the dry yeast and it worked without any problems. Let me know your suggestions.