• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What beer did you drink today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abita: Strawberry Harvest, comes out in March only. Good lager with Louisiana strawberry finish.

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Black and Brew while I was smoking two tri-tip roasts on the grill with applewood. The end result was excellent.

Trois Pistoles (sp?). Got it from Puros Locos. He must have had a little intel because I love a good dark beer. Delicious!

Penn Brewery Weizen and a Brooklyn Brewing Chocolate Stout from 2010. :love:

Yesterday:
  • Stone Old Gaurdian 2011 Barleywine
  • Hoppin Frog Doris the Destroyer Double Imperial Stout
  • Old Rasputin XIV Bourbon Barrel Russian Imperial Stout

What was your opinion?

I was a little let down by this. I am going to revisit it because we tried quite a few stouts that day, but for the price I can't imagine me wanting to stock up.

Billy, how were the Doris and Raspy?

Me:
RR Pliny the Younger. For those that have had PtE, think of it as (PtE)x2. Pretty malty and amazingly balanced between bittering and floral hops. Quite good but probably not worth the price and hype. (2) 10oz pour limit and I took my rations.

GD Titan. Probably a good beer but my pallete was wrecked by Younger.
The Lab milk stout. Meh. Only beer I've had where the finish was better than the start. Local brewpub and put to shame (IMO) by the other local brewpub, Ladyface.

Had a Duchesse De Bourgogne last night. Anyone ever try this? It tasted more like balsamic vinegar than a sour to me. Wondering if this is normal, or if I got a bad one for my first try.

Yep, I've had it. Tasted more like green apples to me. It was the first sour I've ever tried. It was good, but I wasn't ready for it when I tasted it. Tart and pretty wine/cider like as far as I can remember.

Must have bought a bad one Jeff. This one was definitely vinegar like in taste and aroma. I couldn't stomach it after half the bottle. I've had Liefman's Oud Bruin and it had the nice sour green apple profile you described.. I really enjoyed that.

Had a Duchesse De Bourgogne last night. Anyone ever try this? It tasted more like balsamic vinegar than a sour to me. Wondering if this is normal, or if I got a bad one for my first try.

I've had it, and I thought it reminded me a little of Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad with the sour cherry flavor. I didn't get the vinegar taste, but I could certainly see how someone's palate could pick that up.

I've had it on tap a few times and always liked it. It is also my wife's new favorite beer.

This past weekend it had some:

Pine Belt Ale
Saint Arnolds Endeavour
Killkenny Irish Red
Bomshell Blonde
Guiness
Buried Hatchet
Ugly Pug Black Larger

I loved the Hatchet and the Pug!

What was your opinion?

I was a little let down by this. I am going to revisit it because we tried quite a few stouts that day, but for the price I can't imagine me wanting to stock up.

I really enjoyed it. The time in the barrel really does change what OR is intended to be fresh, but overall I think it is very tasty. I agree with you, Its overhyped. What isnt though?

Billy, how were the Doris and Raspy?

I enjoyed both of them, but I had the Raspy XIV before. This was my last bottle. Doris was great, but nothing ground breaking. Just trying to drink through my cellar now. Need the space!!

Status
Not open for further replies.