• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What music are you listening to currently?

Great story Ray.
I don't remember how I got tickets. All I remember is the concert; missing muster, but was on time for my watch. Had a uniform ready in the storage room. Never heard anything about missing muster. It was a Naval Hospital after all. Oh, the concert was across the street from my duty station.:D

Doc

Marines always do it the hard way. Where were you at that time?

Marines always do it the hard way. Where were you at that time?
Philadelphia Regional Medical Center. Across the street from the Spectrum. You know, the one they blew up.

Doc

Philadelphia Regional Medical Center. Across the street from the Spectrum. You know, the one they blew up.

Doc
I know the Spectrum VERY well, Lived in Cherry Hill NJ before I signed up, had my induction physical at the RMC I'm pretty sure. Between the Spectrum, the Tower and the Electric Factory I was supporting the Philly scene all the time :)

Well, me and a couple of other Corpsmen were wandering around the city. It was the fall of 1970, I think. We visited Samson St., Ritenhouse Square and other hippie havens and ran across this place called, you guessed it, the Electric Factory. There was some group called Derek and the Dominoes playing that night, for five bucks. We decided we didn't have anything better to do so we bought tickets. I had no idea that Eric Clapton was a member of this band. I also had no idea that this was a practice gig for their show at the Filmore the following week, I think. Christ this was a long time ago. Anyway I got to hear the entire album up close and personal sitting on a bench about ten feet from Clapton. The next day, I was doing my laundry at a laundromat on Samson St., low and behold, there was Clapton, walking down the street in an Edwardian walking suit. I was too young and intimidated to say anything , but he certainly knew I knew who he was.

Doc

Last edited:
We probably saw each other at some point since 68-72 was my prime Philly time and I was one of those long haired hippy types back then. While I missed Eric with the Dominos I did see Jimi in the Factroy in '68 and again at the Spectrum in April of '69.

I don't think most people realize how big the Philly music scene was. I saw a lot of high powered acts at the Spectrum, The Academy of Music and Fairmount Park. There was WMMR with Michael Tearson as music director and holding down the night shift. We haven't even talked about the annual Folk Festival, which I believe is still being held.

Doc

MMR was THE Station in Philly. I always like Luke O'Reilly who came over from the BBC and had the best import playlist on the east coast. He was the first to play Yes in the states just for one example although you can't forget Ed Sciaky who really pushed Yes and was who was so influential on Springsteen's career or David Dye (who is still on NPR with the World Cafe). While WYSP tried it never had the same feel as THE Radio Station.

You mean the Rodeo Station.:cool: I remember Luke O'Reilly. He had an afternoon program. Wasn't he deported? I've been in touch with Tearson, lately. Just thanked him for keeping us going on the night watch. He was quite appreciative. We had a lot in common. A number of us had an apartment on Pine St., near University City, and were regulars at the UP Tea House or whatever it was called. They had Folk musicians who played for free. He evidently played there regularly, although I didn't know who he was at the time.

Luke left MMR to manage Al Stewart, what happened after that I don't know. I wasn't too appreciative of folk music at the time and so missed that part of the music scene in Philly.

318258.jpg
As the British would say, "Thanks for the nudge, Ray".
45rpm re-master. 180Gm vinyl. And yes, (no pun intended), it's worth the aggravation, cost etc. The only downside is there's no neat booklets or photographs. Just two 180Gm Lps.

Doc

Last edited:
318258.jpg
As the British would say, "Thanks for the nudge, Ray".
45rpm re-master. 180Gm vinyl. And yes, (no pun intended), it's worth the aggravation, cost etc. The only downside is there's no neat booklets or photographs. Just two 180Gm Lps.

Doc
Not often something comes up that I haven't seen, bet it sounds fantastic. Yes was always able to mix their albums so that you know there was bass there even when heard on the radio and certainly felt it if you had a good system. If you are curious, Luke brought over the 45 of the Yes cover of the Beatles "Every Little Thing" and that hooked me.

Otis Blue - Otis Redding Sings Soul
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St
Eric Gales - Good for Sumthin'
Ramsey Lewis - Another Voyage
Miles Davis - 'Round About Midnight

I was witness quite a few shows at the Electric Factory when I was stationed at McGuire AFB, but this was many beers after you gentlemen frequented the joint!

I saw Metallica in the Spectrum parking lot in 1997. There were more arrests at the Eagles game that day than there were at the evil rock concert. Miscreants.

I was witness quite a few shows at the Electric Factory when I was stationed at McGuire AFB, but this was many beers after you gentlemen frequented the joint!

I saw Metallica in the Spectrum parking lot in 1997. There were more arrests at the Eagles game that day than there were at the evil rock concert. Miscreants.

Yea well, that's kind of what you'd expect from the folks who booed Santa Clause.

Doc

Reactions: AVB