• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's your latest Pipe and tobacco purchase?

It's hard to light in a large bowl and when you do get it lit, it burns hotter than hell.

Doc.
And a lot of flakes will burn for a pretty long time. If you pack a big, thick walled pipe with a flake make sure it's a flake you LOVE and be prepared to sit and smoke for awhile...

I suppose until I get a variety of pipes I can adjust temporarily. Fill a partial bowl, maybe.

I suppose until I get a variety of pipes I can adjust temporarily. Fill a partial bowl, maybe.
I'm relatively new at flakes, but I learn fast. Pain is an excellent learning tool. I think it's the diameter of the chamber that's critical. 3/4" or 19mm with thick walls, seems ideal in my experience. I wish a veteran flake smoker would step up and offer their advice. Perhaps write a tutorial. What we need is a Wilkey who smokes pipes.

Doc.

I'm no Wilkey, but from everything I've read and experienced a small diameter, thick-walled bowl is pretty good at bringing out the flavors of most flakes I've smoked. I think one of the most important things to remember when smoking flakes is to go very slowly. With the way flakes burn (hot) and the fact that most flakes that I've smoked are Virginia based, going too fast is the ideal recipe for extreme tongue bite and the effective learning mechanism Doc mentioned.

Packing seems to be key as well. Rubbing a flake out or using the "fold and stuff" method can make a big difference in how the flake burns and it differs from blend to blend. I don't think there's any better teacher than experience for figuring out what works best for a particular blend.

Like I said, I'm no Wilkey, but I've read a great deal on the subject and have some experience (I like to experiment with this stuff). I am still learning myself, though.

From my short experience with flake, is to use a deep, thick walled bowl. I use a deep poker shape. Fold and stuff seems to burn the coolest and lasts longer in the bowl. This is what I've read on the subject.

Bought some charle fairmorn sundowner rodesian blend today the lady at the store said it was english and to dedicate a pipe to it but reviewers class it as more of a aromatic. I also bought a house blend cherry that I have tried it seems a bit strong smelling but pleasent enough. I really want to try this charles fairmorn tonight but my tonge is sore as hell doc was right again.

I'm no Wilkey, but from everything I've read and experienced a small diameter, thick-walled bowl is pretty good at bringing out the flavors of most flakes I've smoked. I think one of the most important things to remember when smoking flakes is to go very slowly. With the way flakes burn (hot) and the fact that most flakes that I've smoked are Virginia based, going too fast is the ideal recipe for extreme tongue bite and the effective learning mechanism Doc mentioned.

Packing seems to be key as well. Rubbing a flake out or using the "fold and stuff" method can make a big difference in how the flake burns and it differs from blend to blend. I don't think there's any better teacher than experience for figuring out what works best for a particular blend.

Like I said, I'm no Wilkey, but I've read a great deal on the subject and have some experience (I like to experiment with this stuff). I am still learning myself, though.
I think I get the gist of what your saying. It burns hot so a smaller diameter pipe is better suited to limiting the burn area and absorbing excess heat. I was just smoking it very slow and it tends to go out in the larger bowl. Gotcha! :thumbs: Thanks, Alan and Doc.

I did get the shipment today but sampled the MacBaren HH Mature Virginia first. Very different flavor from any other Virginia I've tried. A bit too intense at first but it settled into a very good pack! I'll try the St. James Woods after dinner.

Steve

I just got a Boswell from Brandon and it's a beauty! I've been buying like a mad man this week, but mostly cigars. I have a new found love for scratch off lottery tickets... :love:

Hello all!

This is my first post! I'm new to pipe smoking this year so bear with me!

My most recent purchase is a tin of Stanwell Melange. My local shop had a sample of it on display in a mason jar and simply based off the aroma and the tin description I decided to pick it up. I have smoked mostly a no name vanilla cream tobacco from another local shop which I greatly enjoy, but I wanted to try something new. Smoked a bowl of the Melange last night and definitely enjoyed it. I let it dry only for about 10 minutes before packing it, as it seemed somewhat dry straight out of the tin. A little more crisp in flavor than I am used to and the smoke is not as aromatic as I think my girlfriend would have enjoyed but I really appreciated the more subtle flavors in it and made for an interesting smoke!

Anyone else try this?

fa1c2ff4.jpg

6325fddb.jpg

Got this little guy off of eBay. It's a Medico. Just thought it looked neat.

It sure is different, Dan! I wonder if it has a name?

BTW, I got the St. James Woods and tried it and yup, it burned hot in my too-large-for-flake bowl. :D Might be time for a churchwarden.

I really enjoyed the Yenidje Supreme by McClelland, though.

Steve

Solani 633 VIRGINIA FLAKE 50g
James J. Fox CAMPANILE 50g
Samuel Gawith FULL VIRGINIA FLAKE 50g
Rattray's OLD GOWRIE 100g
G.L. Pease CUMBERLAND 2oz
G.L. Pease STRATFORD 2oz
A.C. Petersen ESCUDO 7 tins

Plus This and This

Doc.

Solani 633 VIRGINIA FLAKE 50g
James J. Fox CAMPANILE 50g
Samuel Gawith FULL VIRGINIA FLAKE 50g
Rattray's OLD GOWRIE 100g
G.L. Pease CUMBERLAND 2oz
G.L. Pease STRATFORD 2oz
A.C. Petersen ESCUDO 7 tins

Plus This and This

Doc.
That Stanwell is a real beauty, Doc! :thumbs:

I just got in some more Penzance and my Dunhill 965 stash. I really hope they can get things straightened out with Dunhill tobacco. I'd hate to lose this smoke. :(

I just got in some more Penzance and my Dunhill 965 stash. I really hope they can get things straightened out with Dunhill tobacco. I'd hate to lose this smoke. :(

I've been smoking the 965 for the last week. My tin is almost empty. Today, I'm hoping to buy out my local guys stock of it. It's really tasty stuff.

Lately I have been smoking Dunhill and Boswell stuff so I had to restock on both. 16oz of Paradise, 4oz of Maple Leaf and a tin of London Mixture.

I just bought my second boswell:

pipe%203%20(3).JPG

"Boswell's Shot Shell Sitter"

Also got some more tobacco from them: Northwoods, Maple Leaf, Paradise and Spice and Nice.

I am planning on using this new pipe solely for non-aromatics/english blends. I am excited!

I just bought my second boswell:

"Boswell's Shot Shell Sitter"

Also got some more tobacco from them: Northwoods, Maple Leaf, Paradise and Spice and Nice.

I am planning on using this new pipe solely for non-aromatics/english blends. I am excited!

Very nice bro! Lets get together for a smoke over lunch next week.

I just ordered 1/2 pound of Penzance, 1/2 pound of 965, 1/2 pound of Westminster, 3 tins of Squadron Leader, and 1/4 pound of Habana Daydreams.

With what I already have cellared that should hold me for awhile. :)

Hey, it ain't getting any less expensive, folks...