• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WTF! My gas bill just went up 6 times!

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else in So Cal experience a major increase in rates? My bill which is usually $30/mo is now nearly $200! I hope everyone stands up and protests this bullshit. Most likely due to the negligence in Porter Ranch. This has me infuriated. Curious who else has experienced this.

Yes, my gas bill went from around $80 a month to over $400... I thought it was because we were using the heat so much. After reading this, I looked at my bill, sure enough, my rates have gone way up... I will raise hell about this...

You think this is crazy, my water bill is over $1200 a month...

California's paradise has its price. Good luck fighting the companies.

Fight the power!

California's paradise has its price. Good luck fighting the companies.

Fight the power!
California's paradise? More like SoCalGas getting sued for a leak and then trying to pass those penalties onto their customers. Completely unfair and I hope they don't get away with it.

PGE has been screwing NorCal residents for decades.
That just comes with the territory of a monopoly unfortunately. But the dramatic increase that Rod + others are experiencing is most likely from SolCalGas being sued by the EPA for a leak. The utility company knows that they have a monopoly and people have no choice but to pay the premiums for utilities or have to go without. So unfortunately, like in the situation mentioned above, the company can pass on the penalties to their customers without having to take a loss in profit. I definitely do not think this is right in anyway and PG&E has attempted something similar a few years back, except they continued to raise our rates over a few years rather than all at once. It's just all wrong how they take advantage of their customers.

Yes, my gas bill went from around $80 a month to over $400... I thought it was because we were using the heat so much. After reading this, I looked at my bill, sure enough, my rates have gone way up... I will raise hell about this...

Holy Mother of God!!! That's a few hundred off from my mortgage payment...... Mine is about $35.00 a month.

No natural gas here but propane which went up 40% in one month. Can't really complain because we were well below average for the past 6 months and the increase moved us up to state average. It will be interesting to see what the next fill of my tank costs.

That water bill is nuts, here, the water bill includes sewers and is normally around $125 per QTR even when watering the lawn.

How doe the price of water compare to gasoline in SoCA?

Isn't there a public service commission that those gas rates have to be approved through? Those kind of increases are ridiculous. The gas company here has a devil of time getting rates increased, and the raw material price of gas is down as I recall.

Last edited:
Wow! That whole situation is total BS. I'm sorry you all are suffering the increases because of negligence from the providers. Makes me mad. Greedy monopolies putting screws to good people.

Bill - are you pulling well water? I'm up near San Antonio Heights, but I'm lucky enough to just be below the wells, so we have municipal water. My water bill is around $200/mo, and that's with having cut back dramatically.

I'm going to price out propane and see if it's now cheaper than NG.

Bill - BTW, good luck getting through to socalgas. The hold time is "3 or more hours".

Bill - are you pulling well water? I'm up near San Antonio Heights, but I'm lucky enough to just be below the wells, so we have municipal water. My water bill is around $200/mo, and that's with having cut back dramatically.

I'm going to price out propane and see if it's now cheaper than NG.

I'm not sure, I am in Haven View Estates at the very top of Haven, but I do have 2 acres of land... My water bill has tripled in the last few years...

Bill - BTW, good luck getting through to socalgas. The hold time is "3 or more hours".

Yes, I tried earlier today, and couldn't wait... I will let my secretary call and wait when I get to the office, then transfer the call when it goes through...

I don't have gas. The stuff scares me. Too many explosions and CO poisonings for my liking; especially with NH's dilapidated infrastructure. Oil is cheap this year. I heat my home and water with it. My water bill is consistently below $40 a month. I've lived on the West coast. You can have it. I'm more than happy to put up with the cold and snow.

Doc

Hard to say. I just moved from a 2nd story apartment insulated by being sandwiched in between the 1st and 3rd floors and located in the interior of the building...to a small 1 br house with less effective insulation. Hard to say what has increased due to higher rates or just the circumstances of the house being slightly larger and not as well insulated.

As far as gasoline prices...I just saw it was about $2.99 for 87 octane. That's still okay in my book as I remember it spiking around $4.50 or higher years ago.

^^^^ What Doc said. Plus I just cut down mother nature every year, chop her up and burn her in the wood stove. It's hard work but it free heat for me! My water comes from the well that's drilled in my yard so it very minimal cost in electrical for the pump.

Also gas is way below $2 here. I've been filling up for about $1.70 a gallon

Paul

upload_2016-1-30_15-58-55.png

From Gasbuddy.com in my zip code. For regular gas.