• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

El Centurion Review

Cira

I got my hands on one of the new El Centurions from Don Pepin Garcia. I had a chance to smoke it tonight and I thought I'd give my review.

Here is some info from the Pepin website at http://www.elreydeloshabanos.com/cigars.asp?CatID=14

"EL CENTURION” is the result of a careful selection of leaves grown of Cuban seeds, which have been matured for three years under the strictest conditions of industry standards. In this process, we have used two varieties of plants from Nicaragua: Criollo 98 and Corojo 99. It is a “Medium to Full Bodied” cigar and one of the most exquisite ones you have ever tested.

FIRST LIMITED EDITION 2007.
850 BOXES PER SIZE.

Wrapper: Habano Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Vitolas: 3 Natural

I had the pleasure of smoking the robusto size called the Guerreros at 5x50.

First look it was a beautiful smooth wrapper. The big band has a cool embossed gold look.

Easy snip of the cap.

The cigar lit right up, without a fight. This baby wanted to be smoked.

First few puffs hit me with a nice complex flavor right off the bat. Perfect medium draw that produced lots of smoke. Burn started great but canooed a little on me but got under control.
The only thing I could think of in terms of the flavor was "Tatuaje Havana VI meets PSD4". Cream, leather, smooth caramel nut smoothness. Very delicious. The finish was clean and medium length, nice balance.
As I got through it, the flavors got more more intense and rich with lots more cedar flavor.
Towards the end it burned a little hot but I was excited. I let it rest a little and went to the nub.

Awesome cigar. I definitly need to go get a box tomorrow.

Here's some pics
DSC03166.jpg

DSC03168.jpg

DSC03171.jpg

DSC03178.jpg

DSC03180.jpg

DSC03182.jpg

DSC03183.jpg

DSC03184.jpg

DSC03185.jpg

Nice review. I just ordered a couple of these from gabriel to try out. Sounds like a box will follow. Thx for sharing the experience.

Beutiful looking cigar! Thank you so much for the review. I look forward to getting some...

mac

I was lucky enough to land a box of these. Got them yesterday, so I'll give them some down time before I try one. Can't wait....good review...... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

I was lucky enough to land a box of these. Got them yesterday, so I'll give them some down time before I try one. Can't wait....good review...... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

I couldn't wait...when you get to one, tell us what you think.

I got that other box of belis that Al had. I'm excited to try them now.

Nice review and very nice photos mate. I will have to try these for sure.

Picked up the Gladiodore (sp?) tonight. Looking forward to this one in a couple weeks after it settles down.

Is anybody smoking these yet?
Or all they all down for a nap?

I had one a couple of weeks ago and it was DAMN fine.
One of the best Pepins I'd had. That is until I smoked a generously gifted Blue Label Lancero last week which pretty much blew everything else out of the water...

Just did a box split with Mas Puros...put them deep into the humidor to settle down...hopefully as good as advertised by the above posts.

Had one and was disappointed, might have another to make sure the first wasn't a fluke. Lots of flavors, but nothing outstanding, especially for such a pricey and limited cigar.

Great review, I like the pics.

I'm not sure I would compare this to the Opus though... a lot more was put into the Opus project far beyond just being a limited cigar.

I don't doubt this is a great cigar because I've really enjoyed the Pepin stuff I've tried so far, but sometimes I wonder about all these limited releases... Are they limited because the tobacco is ultra rare and amazing or just for marketing/hype purposes?

Great review, I like the pics.

I'm not sure I would compare this to the Opus though... a lot more was put into the Opus project far beyond just being a limited cigar.

I don't doubt this is a great cigar because I've really enjoyed the Pepin stuff I've tried so far, but sometimes I wonder about all these limited releases... Are they limited because the tobacco is ultra rare and amazing or just for marketing/hype purposes?

I agree. The ones I have smoked were great, but nothing that I just had to have. A limited release, why? I am going with the cigar hype. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the smokes and would smoke more but as far as "chasing down" a box it wouldn't be worth it. To me it's just another great Pepin smoke.

I agree. The ones I have smoked were great, but nothing that I just had to have. A limited release, why? I am going with the cigar hype. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the smokes and would smoke more but as far as "chasing down" a box it wouldn't be worth it. To me it's just another great Pepin smoke.
I'm pretty much with Shane on this one. I've got some, and they are great smokes, but perhaps not Pepin's best, IMHO. To me, they come across as a mild smoke, with a ton of flavors.

I still think his "Blue Label" smokes are some of his best....and I smoke a lot of 'em.

Cheers - B.B.S.

I love this cigar!!! And honestly, I would call it Pepin's Anejo. Especially since I like the Anejo more than the Opus.

Great review and pics. Not sure if these are worth the cost, but the one I smoked was fantastic!

These are great cigars... i prefer the torpedos to the Gladores(pardon the spelling) as far as the opus/anejo thing, i really dont see it... Yes it is aged longer than most pepins. however, these are not hard to get like the opus and it is not like they are offered in a diffrent wraper like the Anejos. Dont get me wrong i think the fuente marketing is a pain but there is no real aparent connection.