• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tyrconnell Irish Whiskey

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Tyrconnell Irish Whiskey, age unknown, 750ml, no packaging (sometimes can be found with a tube), 80 Proof, about $17-25 depending where you are.

Tyrconnell.jpg

A nice sample of Tyrconnell was included in my Secret Santa box and so I felt it deserves a review.

Santa was a bit confused when he told me this wasn't available in the US, it is. However, there is a great price discrepancy depending where you find it. In my case PA is 50% higher then I found in MD or NH for example. A little known fact is this whiskey is named after a horse, "The Tyrconnell" that won the Irish Produce Stakes at 100 to 1 odds in 1876. The commemorative whiskey of that event proved so popular it was continued to this day.

I came back home about 1 on Sunday and really had to start on the decorations. Once I got the outside stuff up I thought a taste of Santa's gift would go well with trimming the tree. Tyrconnell is a single malt Irish whiskey, made much the same as Scotch but without the peating. The nose is really fruity at first with pears, apples and some citrus in the mix. First tasting isn't as sweet as the nose suggests and is soon taken by the oak this whiskey was stored in. The finish is short and dry with a lemony taste in the back of the tongue.

Not having a lot of experience with Irish whiskey I felt that this could benefit from a few more years in the cask, a 10-12 yo version would smooth some parts out nicely. It is an easy drinking but not too complex whiskey at a fairly good price. I can see why it is the fastest growing of all the Irish whiskies at its price point.

My favorite pub in Key West, Finnegans Wake, offers this up when you ask for a Whiskey. Pretty decent stuff. For the price point, it really should find itself next to other Irish Whiskies. Funny thing is, it is hard to find in so called irish Pubs. You know the pub, the one the frat boys go to because they serve Guiness and Harp. For those who have a proper pub near you, this is worth trying.

Emo

cool review AVB,

will have to see if any of the places have in town when I'm home for X-Mas.

Great review AVB, as always. Congrats as well on the gift. :D