• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny Drum 15 yo Bourbon

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Johnny Drum 15 yo Sour Mash Bourbon, no packaging although it may have a soft bag in some markets, 750ml, Short squat bottle, wax seal, 101 proof, about $22-27. There are also 12 and 8 yo versions at lower proofs.

Johnny%20Drum%2015.JPG

Johnny Drum is a name not known to most bourbon drinkers. For years the Willett distillery sold it only locally and overseas with no national distribution. Willett closed in the 70's and most of the equipment was salvaged out. However, in the late 80's the name and what was left of the remaining stock was bought and the distillery started a renovation that is still underway to this day. A group called Kentucky Bourbon Distillers now bottles Johnny Drum under the guise of the Johnny Drum Distilling Company. They also bottle three other bourbons and have, in the last few years, started to distribute in the US. It may be hard to find in a local store but at least it is on the Internet.

This Johnny Drum noses Oak first and foremost followed by what I remember as cotton candy sweetness. This is not a bad thing, just not the usual smell of sweetness that bourbon has. A touch of vanilla enters the picture too if you let the glass breathe a bit. Tasting is a bit of a surprise because the oak that came out in nosing doesn't show up nearly as strong as I would have thought. At 101 proof there is some alcohol burn but less then I would have expected and it goes away rather quickly leaving a fairly long sweetish finish behind. Carmel apples come to mind as the flavor slowly fades.

All in all not a bad bourbon and easily worth the $25 or so it costs. A bit sweeter then most but that helps with the higher proof. I think if you like the Maker's Mark style you should like this. It's good enough that I'll buy another when I finish this bottle. :)

Is this something available to me locally, or do I need to get you to send me a bottle?

:D

"They also bottle three other bourbons and have, in the last few years, started to distribute in the US. It may be hard to find in a local store but at least it is on the Internet."

I have no idea if it is local to you PB but if you want one I'll send you the addy of where you could order one. LMK.

PuroBrat said:
Is this something available to me locally, or do I need to get you to send me a bottle?

:D
[snapback]155827[/snapback]​

Well... :( ...if you are not gonna just send me one cause you are a nice guy, I guess I will accept the URL for the best online source and get it that way. :p :rolleyes: ;)

Here you go. What made you decide you wanted this out of all of the reviews I've done?

Lets just say it sounds good, and not a bad price for something drinkable :rolleyes:

I am drinking Maker's Mark right now, very nice. If this is similar, I can't imagine me disliking Johnny Drum :)

Oh, and nice review AVB :thumbs: (I haven't read a bad one yet)

I'm gonna have to review Maker's Mark sometime, it just hasn't come up in my odd way of picking Bourbons to review.

Cotton candy, caramel apples with 101 proof. Sounds very interesting. Another nice review, AVB!

Gregor

AVB. Great link. I am very limited in what I can find along the lines of bourbon here in Charlottesville. I try everything that I can find...and afford. Can't wait to order some from this place.

Thanks.

Internetwines is not the best place to order from but they do have some things you can't easily find once in a while. There are some threads here in the saloon about other internet sites if you do a search.

cigardawg said:
AVB. Great link. I am very limited in what I can find along the lines of bourbon here in Charlottesville. I try everything that I can find...and afford. Can't wait to order some from this place.

Thanks.
[snapback]165817[/snapback]​

I am a big fan of Maker's Mark so I will definitely have to try this one. Thanks for the reveiw!! :D