• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glenfiddich Solera Reserve

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Wow, 50 reviews, half way through the hundred I hope to end up with. I don't have room for too many more than that.

Glenfiddich Solera Reserve, 15 yo, Standard Glenfiddich triangular bottle, tube packaging, 750 ml, 80 proof, about $40.

Glenfiddich%2015%20Solara%20Reserve.JPG

Solera Reserve is a "vatted" Glenfiddich, vatting means that a number of different single malts were married together but no grain whiskey was added. If there was then this would be a blended whisky. In this case, to quote from Glenfiddich, "Fifteen-year-old Glenfiddich from three types of casks – traditional American bourbon, Spanish sherry and new oak – is married in a large Solera vat, made of Oregon pine. The vat is always kept at least half full, ensuring a consistent quality of whisky."

This is really some very smooth stuff and being only 80 proof goes down much too easily if you aren't paying attention. The nosing is honey, vanilla, a bit of oak and sherry. None of the three cask types takes over but each adds it's own little bit. Tasting is sweet with a spiciness in the background surrounded by a slight maltiness. The finish brings out sherry and oak notes that compliment each other well. Sweetness from the sherry and dryness from the oak, most enjoyable.

The easy drinkability make this a good choice for those just starting to venture into the world of scotch while the complexity from the different casks keeps it interesting enough for the more advanced.

Good whisky at a good price, you won't be disappointed.

Excellent review. This was the 2nd bottle that I ever bought. I've gone through most of it by now

I'm right there with ya, I think I have about an inch and a half left in mine. :D

Excellent review as are all of your reviews.
I agree this is really some very smooth stuff, you can't go wrong with this bottle.

This is a great summer Scotch and a nice diversion from the heavy peaty Islays that dominate my liqour cabinet.

Aroma: Sweet - caramel and chocolate. With a slight smoky undertone.

Flavor: Again sweet but not sickly sweet. Vanilla (oak), chocolate and a little honey. Floral notes.

Finish: Crisp, and creamy with a very subtle hint of peat smoke.

I just picked this up over the weekend and tried it. I really like it. Did you happen to go on their website to get your free hip flask? They had some questionaire about your scotch habits and after answering, you get a free flask.
Don't know if it's any good or not, but FREE is always good!

I just picked this up over the weekend and tried it. I really like it. Did you happen to go on their website to get your free hip flask? They had some questionaire about your scotch habits and after answering, you get a free flask.
Where is the questionaire? Do you have to register first?

For 8 dollars more I can order the Ancient Reserve 18 year-old.

Should I spend the extra few dollars?

Great review as always AVB. :thumbs:

Sounds like a great bottle to start my endeavor into the Scotch world.

I got the flask. It's REALLY small, probably 2-3 ounces max. It has the Glenfiddich logo stamped into it, and you can't beat the price!

I got the flask. It's REALLY small, probably 2-3 ounces max. It has the Glenfiddich logo stamped into it, and you can't beat the price!

Sounds like it holds about a finger? Is it cheap looking or decent? And nope, can't beat the price.

Sounds like it holds about a finger? Is it cheap looking or decent? And nope, can't beat the price.

No it's not cheep looking, but it won't illicit "OOHS and AHHS" when you whip it out. It's brushed aluminum.
Here's a pic I found on ebay. I'm pretty sure this is it.

f41b5rq.jpg

No it's not cheep looking, but it won't illicit "OOHS and AHHS" when you whip it out. It's brushed aluminum.

f41b5rq.jpg
That looks pretty nice...do you know how long it takes for them to send it?

I remember really liking this scotch when I had it awhile ago.

f41b5rq.jpg
That looks pretty nice...do you know how long it takes for them to send it?

It was a while ago, but I'm going to say it took about a month after I registered on-line.

I just bought a bottle of this and it's very smooth. I have only had a taste but it seems a lot smoother than the Macallan 12 I bought a few weeks ago. Got it for $45 from a local liquor store.

I was disappointed to find out they have discontinued the hip flask giveaway even though my bottle had the little ticket and it had an expiration date of 12/31/07. Oh well not a big deal.