• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Longmorn 15 yo Speyside Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Longmorn 15 yo Highland Scotch, 90 proof, near dumpy style bottle, box packaging, about $45-50.

Longmorn%2015.JPG

A bit of history from www.whisky-distilleries.info:

Build on the site of an old chapel, the Longmorn distillery has been founded by John Duff and two associates, Charles Shirres and George Thomson in 1894, together with its neighbour Benriach. John Duff founded the Glenlossie 19 years earlier.

Despite his good position within the whisky world in those days, John Duff was crippled by debts because of the great recession in the whisky industry at the end of the 19th century. He was forced to sell everything to pay his creditors. Among the candidates for buying the distillery, John Grant (from Glen Grant) through his company Hill Thomson & Co who marketed amongst others the "Something Special" blend.

In the early 1970's, Longmorn merged with the distillery "The Glenlivet" to create "The Glenlivet Distillers Ltd". The distillery doubled its production capacity in 1972 and agan in 1974. The number of stills went from 4 to 8. Seagram purchased the distillery in 1977. Longmorn is one of the few distilleries who never stopped production.

Longmorn is part of the collection "Heritage Collection". The distilleries belonging to "The Chivas and Glenlivet Group", part of Seagram have been bought by the French group Pernod-Ricard on 19 december 2001. Parts of the production are used in the blends Something Special and Queen Anna.

I did taxes today and came out of that fight a few grand poorer. It will really cut into the scotch habit in the short run. Anyway, after finishing with Uncle Sam I started in with Longmorn. Now before I get too far into the bottle I thought I'd better do this review while I still made some sense.

Longmorn is a fairly unknown scotch in the US even though it has been here for at least 25 years. At the moment the only official distillery bottling is the 15 yo that I'm reviewing here. However, there are a number of independent bottlings that include some really exceptional drams. The Duncan Taylor 33 yo is just one albeit at a collector's price. This Longmorn is much easier on the pocket and a farily good dram too.

Longmorn is dark golden color in the glass and the nose is nice and clean with hints of peach and something that reminds me of shag-bark hickory nuts with a little caramel tossed on top. Fairly different then most whiskies but not in a bad way at all. The tasting is well built layers of fruit sitting in a sweet oak with a touch of nuts. One of the more unusual finishes in that the tongue is tasting sweetness but the roof of the mouth has a tingling dryness at the same time. This slowly fades as the tongue gets the tingling dryness before it fades away. I don't think I've ever had a whisky with quite the same sensation before.

A solid performer that deserves a try by any scotch fan.

I guess it didn't work, I spelled the name wrong in the title. :0

AVB said:
Now before I get too far into the bottle I thought I'd better do this review while I still made some sense.
[snapback]176897[/snapback]​

Have you ever had the 31 year old?

I can get it for $93 from my local liquor store and thought that was a very nice price for a 30+ year old scotch. I'd like to hear your or others opinions of it before I bought it.

Which 31 year old?

Scott's,
Gordon & MacPhail
Duncan Taylor
Signatory

or

an original bottling.

On the website it says LONGMORN 31 YR SINGLE MALT 86O so I'm assuming it's an original bottling.

Are you looking at the Premier Malt Longmorn at Spec's for $98.14?

It's a local liquor store called Goody Goody that has their inventory online and it's priced at $93...no online ordering. They don't have a picture and that's the only details I'm getting. I wouldn't doubt if it's the Premier Malts bottling.

Almost has to be the Premier Malt brand at that price. Maybe a Blackadder on a really good sale but certainly not an original bottling. The Premier bottling is decent but nothing exceptional, slightly better then the 15 I reviewed but not really worth double the price IMO, YMMV.