• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Teaninich 18 yo - Ssignatory Bottling

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Teaninich (pronounced “Chee-an-in-ick”) 17 yo - Ssignatory Bottling single malt scotch, 86 proof, metal tube packaging, 70 cl, standard bottle. #298 of 838 from Butt 4096. About $68 delivered. This particular version is not avalable in the US however, an 18 yo cask strength version (116 proof) from Butt# 4097 is, at around $120. As an FYI, a Butt is 500 liters in size while a standard cask is about 180.

Tamnavulin%20Stillmans%20Dram%2027.JPG

The Teaninich distillery remained in the same family from 1817 up to 1934 when it was acquired by the D.C.L. (Distillers Company Ltd.). Teaninich is famous because it was the first distillery that had electric light. In 1971 a new stillhouse containing six stills was built and named A, while the original stillhouse was termed B. There was a slight difference between the two sides, with a Porteous mill in A and a Bobby mill in B. It is said that the spirit from both sides was mixed together before filling. In 1973 the milling, mashing and fermentation facilities of side B were rebuilt, and a dark grain plant was added two years later. Side B was then closed in October 1984 and demolished in 1998. Side A was mothballed in March 1985 but reopened in 1990. Most of the production is used in the Diageo blends, amongst others Johnnie Walker.

A bit of yard work and an early dinner set the stage for a relaxing dram on the deck just watching the world go by. As soon as the notes for this tasting were done a Don Carlos Presidente finished off the evening.

This is a honey gold colored scotch perhaps leaning toward amber. Teaninich noses very fruity with apples, plums and bananas, this is the second scotch I've run across to have bananas in the nose and it is much more noticable then the other. Tasting reinforces the banana nosing with hints of sherry sweetness and some nuts in the background. Interesting. The finish is fairly long with toffee becoming the main flavor as the finish fades.

A good solid middle class dram that doesn't quite fit into the normal parameters of what one usually thinks of in a sherry casked scotch. While not outstanding is is too good to be just a curiosity for it's flavor. It paired pretty well with the beginnings of my Don Carlos.