• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
No you're not seeing double, Cigardawg somehow read my mind and posted his review first. The more the merrier.

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve, 13 years old, rectangular bottle with finger grips, 90 proof, 750 ml, about $30 here in PA.

Old%20Charter.JPG

First impression is that the bottle is too small and it can't possibly hold 750ml but it does. The bottle shape with a really skinny neck causes that illusion. This bourbon has a nice dark color that reminds me of really strong tea. Nosing comes up with an apple/toffee mixture with hints of pepper and as Cigardawg mentioned, molasses, and well within a normal nosing for bourbon. The taste is bourbon sweetness layered with a vanilla topping and spices. At the finish the spices fade and oak takes over.

Alcohol burn is minimal and there is a somewhat silky character to this drink. Water may open it up a bit but I only tested it neat. Not an in-your-face bourbon but a rather refined and gentle one. Is it worth the $30....barely when one can get a Van Winkle Special Reserve for $1 more or the excellent Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15 year old for just $5 more.