• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tobermory 10 Isle of Mull Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Tobermory 10 yo Single Malt. Green short squat round bottle, box packaging, 750ml, 80 proof, about $26-30.
tobermory_bottle.jpg
Tobermory%2010.JPG

Another day spent hacking at some of the bushes on the property trying to get them back to manageable size. A bunch of scratches and breaks to stop the bleeding I finished that task for the next few years (I hope!). After that ordeal I took a smoke and a healthy dram of Tobermory out on the deck for a hour or so of relaxation.

Tobermory is the only distillery on the Isle of Mull located on the northeastern side of Scotland, In existence since 1792 it has had a long and shakey history of being closed and reopened many times. This latest opening looks to be pretty solid and has lasted for the last 16 years. Some may know this distillery as Ledaig, a name that was used on and off in the past. For the current owners (Burn Stewart) Tobermory will be used for the unpeated malted barley and Ledaig (to be reviewed later) will be available in small quantities made with peated barley, the best of both worlds :) .

There have been some rumors that the current Tobermory is actually a vatted malt made with product up to 20 years old from the old stocks. I can't find anything to prove or disprove this but it has been reported by some fairly reputable sources. I, personally, don't think so because I don't taste or get the feel of old whisky in this bottle. That said, there is a light peat in the background that isn't supposed to be there since this is supposedly and unpeated malt. To complicate things even more, the current stocks are now aged at the Deanston Distillery on the mainland.

Tobermory comes in a green bottle so I can't tell the color in the bottle but in the glass it is a very light yellow-wheat color. The nose is fresh, clean and a bit sweet with perhaps some nuts buried deep in it. The taste is a good match to the nose with sweetness and matly nuts giving way to a light peat before that fades away. The finish continues with the light sweet taste but a nice maltiness shows itself toward the end. Not very long but enough for this dram.

Overall, a nice midlevel drink and a pretty good buy for under $30. This would be a decent beginners malt or for a nice end of summer's eve on the deck. :)

It is out, I have a bottle of 20yo on my shelf now. There is also a 15yo distillery bottling available here and a number of independent and distillery bottlings in the UK.

Lumberg said:
I'd be interested in the Ledaig if and when that comes out
[snapback]229803[/snapback]​

I wonder who's mulling over their thoughts?

:laugh: :laugh: :0

I just picked up a bottle of this for 31.99. When I have time I will crack it open and attempt to add my review.

I'll be looking forward to it. I don't often see a second review of a dram that is off the beaten path.

As promised a review to follow:

Found this bottle at the local store for $31.99. Wasn't sure whether or not it was on AVB's list when purchased. My history of drinking scotch now is going on about 18 months. I have tried several of AVB's suggestions for value bottlings as well as the Glenfiddich Caoran Reserve (AVB purchase) and a Laphroiag Cask strength 15 on a cruise last year. My favorites are the 2 previously mentioned, Finlaggan and Glenlivet.

After a night at work and still sore from being rear-ended 2 weeks ago I settled into my computer chair to try my turn at a review. Actually this is my 3rd dram of this whisky as I try to sort it out. Drinking this neat, in nosing I also detected the sweetness described in AVB's review, however I thought I detected a scent of tart if not slightly soured apples, definitely astringent and pungent. On tasting , I found the whisky to be a warm and soothing drink, with a slight kick of fruit, again in my taste of apples, with some light citrus notes. After the swirl I also noted a very light peat, smoke flavor in the background. As you can tell from my likes I really do like peat and smoke. Again a very short finish compared to Laphroiag and Finlaggan the peat monsters. However I concur with AVB's assessment that this is a good value dram, all that I could or would expect in this price range. A little riskier than the staid and true Glenfiddich and Glenlivets.

One thing as a newbie scotch drinker when I buy a bottle I do some research on the distillery and area the dram is from, kinda of a mini excursion, to that part of Scotland, so as AVB mentioned this is somewhat off the beaten path. A fun drink all the way around.

Roboref