• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Pogue Master's Select

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Old Pogue Master's Select, flask style bottle, no other packaging, 750 ml, 91 proof, 9 years old (on good authority but not listed on the bottle) about $40-45.

Old%20Pogue2.JPG

Old Pogue is in a limited distribution so it may not be available in your area. My bottle showed up as a bomb from our fine CP member ddepaola and so earns a spot in the review rotation even though I don't think I've reviewed 2 bourbons in a row before.

Since the weather has changed and it isn't 70+ degrees out on the deck I decided that sitting in front of the big screen would do for my sampling of Old Pogue. The real color is pretty close to the picture above and lightens up a shade in the glass. The Nose is one of Rye, Flowers and spices just a bit unusual. Tasting reveals even more flowers along with grassiness on a sweet rye body, very little oak or vanilla that is found in most bourbons. Only during the finish does vanilla start to show itself but it is short lived. Overall the finish is fairly short and once the vanilla is gone all that is left is a twinge of the alcohol on the sides of the tongue.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Almost all Heaven Hill products (and this is one no matter what name they put on it) have some grassiness but this is by far the most pronounced I've ran across. Not saying that this is bad but it is different. The flowers were also some of the strongest I've found in bourbon, which certainly made this unique.

If you are a bourbon connoisseur I don't think you'll like this but if you just have some once in a while over ice this may be fine for you. Personally, I'd buy some Old Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 for my $40. Sorry Dan, I hope you like yours better.

Nice review, I would say I would have to agree, this wasn't one of my favs either. Will have to do better next time.;)

Regards,
Dan