• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chivas: The Century Of Malts

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Chivas - The Century Of Malts, short squat bottle, presentation tube packaging, booklet, 750ml, 80 proof, about $50-60.

centuryofmalts-C1000.JPG

For my one hundredth review (69 Scotch, 2 Irish and 29 Bourbons) of the harder spirits nothing could be a better match then The Century Of Malts. I've been saving this for the occasion and I hope you all enjoy the review.

Chivas Brother's The Century Of Malts was made to celebrate 100 different malts all blended together, a feat which had never been done before. From stalwarts of the Spey like Balvenie, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet,Macallan and Mortlach to the Islands, Islay and Mull with Highland Park, Jura, Ledaig, Laphroaig and Lagavulin. Toss in some classics such as Aberlour, Ardbeg, Bowmore and Springbank and add some lost distilleries like Banff, Convalmore, Glen Craig, Glen Esk, Ladyburn and a host of others and you end up with something totally unique in the world of malts. Supposedly, this is in reality a vatted malt with no grain whiskey added but there is nothing I could find to confirm this.

Saturday in my part of Pennsylvania was as wet and dreary as it gets for these parts. After doing some work inside and working on a computer problem for a while I tossed it in and parked myself in front of the tube to watch a flick. Sitting in the old theater room with a glass of this in hand made everything seem a bit better.

The nosing of this dram is really very big and full, not at all muddled as you would thing for something with so many parts, the blender did his job very well. Salt grasses and nuts and a bit of toffee creep out of the glass to caress your nose upon the nosing. The taste is smooth, very smooth with the nutty flavors holding their own until some peatiness takes over at the end. The finish is long smooth and just a bit drying as the Islay malts show themselves. At the very end a little licorice before fading away.

One of the better more complex blended malts I've ever had. The chance to drink a little history adds to the overall experience and makes it seem even better. For many of us we may never get a chance to try some Ladyburn or Craigduff without this bottle. I have to rate this an ACE. :thumbs:

On Saturday, almost 1 year to the day of AVB's review, I came across a dusty bottle of the Century of Malts in my local package store. I don't usually shop for Scotch at this place because it's extremely expensive. I had to pick up a quick six-pack and found this way in the back. Since I thought I'd never see it again, I decided to pick it up.

Now I'm just waiting for a head cold to subside so I can enjoy this thing in all it's complexity.

Thanks for the review.

Alright i tried it last night and actually went back for seconds!

Unlike AVB, I thought the nose was faint. Maybe just suffering by comparison to what I am used to (Islay Malts). I did note a creamy sweet butter aroma. Reminded me of my Mom's vanilla cake mix.

First taste had a very prominent sherry sweetness, with subtle notes of smoke and a hint of nuts and honey. Very, very smooth.

Finish was much longer than I expected and lingered with sweet floral notes and a hint of smoke.

I think there's a lot more to it than I'm getting right now and I have a feeling I am going to notice more with each tasting. This is a very enjoyable dram. For $55 I believe it's worth it not only because this is no longer produced, but because it's damn good!

Compared to an Islay the nose is less but still pretty big IMO . I'm glad you liked it and hope it does get better for you the next time.