• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Partagas PSD4, Ashton VSG Tres Mystique

Ginseng

Banned
Today's study smokes were the Partagas Serie D No.4 and the Ashton Virgin Sun Grown Tres Mystique. It was sunny and warm this afternoon and I had more work to do on my paper so I retreated to my garage with snacks, drinks and sticks in hand.

Today's accompaniments were Bing's glazed lemon drop cookies and some Teddy Grahams. Drinks were freshly brewed Martinson's coffee and water.

At first, I had only planned to smoke one cigar. It's uncommon that I'll smoke two or more in a given session as I like to immerse myself in one at a time. However, plans do not always work out but that's a story for later in this review.

The PSD4
This was a recent arrival in my humi. Obtained from a trusted vendor as a 5 x 3 cardboard pack, this spent 13 days in transit from someplace quite far away. Some may recall my recent problem with a SLB of BBF from this same vendor. Although not suffering from any visible structural damage, these sticks were very clearly dried out. Curiosity getting the best of me, and remembering my very satisfying experience with this stick from last year (also a 2004 box date), I selected one to test and taste. The following picture compares my now-empty SBN and the Cpack.
(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...D4packaging.jpg)

Prelight and Initial Stage
The cigar was well-constructed with a smooth and delicate, medium-shade wrapper. Veins were fine and the bunch was packed nicely without being too overfilled. I split the wrapper near the head while squeezing it to cut the cap. Oops. There was not much of a scent and this was my first indication that something might not be totally aok. Lighting was uneventful and the stick began to burn reasonably well. There was the beginning of a mild run on one side but a few dabs of wetness tamed it without issue.

My first impressions were of properly cured tobacco, lacking any green-ness or ammonia. Initial flavor notes were a characteristic peppery-spicy and straight up tobacco. Also of note was a dry-woodiness and a pronounced floral aroma, I'd even say it was almost perfumey. Not unusual in other lines but typically not so present or forward in the other boxes of PSD4 I've tried. The body was uncharacteristically light. Smoke volume was medium.

Later stage and Finish
I was past halfway and not feeling the love. Body continued to be light and the richness and complexity I expected were not there. This stick was delivering on half of what it normally should. The fresh pepper was still there as was the floral note. Also, the stick did not warm up and soften as much as one would expect. So, not one to prolong the agony, I snuffed it.

Even though the source is impeccable and all the external construction, packaging and other clues indicated an authentic stick, I had a nagging doubt that I had to explore. And so I dissected the cigar. I did not take pictures but internally, there was a good news/bad news situation. The good news was that all indications from the disassembly confirmed this was almost certainly genuine. I hesitate to ever say 100% because of the global situation regarding Habanas. The wrapper was fine and spiral wrapped. The binder leaves were also helically laid and of good quality. The bunch was all long filler and consisted of leaves of several distinct characters suggesting a blend. The bad news was that internally, the stick was dry. Not to the point where things were crumbly, but most definitely far from ideal. So, to further confirm this, I sacrificed another stick. Results were the same.

Now things were making sense. The dryness of the stick was more than likely the culprit behind the lack of depth of this PSD4. It was more than likely the main reason behind the skewed flavor profile and lack of body. It makes sense that sufficient moisture is required to vaporize and carry flavor components as the leaf burns. Some might suggest that it might also have been in the "sick period" and I would not disagree on this point.

So, the remainder of these sticks will reside untouched for at least six more months before I try another. And if they don't come back then, I'll at least return to comment on whether or not this particular stick, if dried out, can be returned to its rightful splendor. Also, I learned to never again buy cigars in cardboard packs, especially if the vendor does not typically take sufficient care in protecting the merchandise from drying out in transit. Good packing, in my experience, is either vacuum packing using heavy plastic film or two layers of shrink wrap + two layers of bubble + heavy plastic over wrap. It is not a single layer of bubble and one layer of shrink.

Special Note-one day later: Yesterday, I threw all the disassembled wrapper, binder and filler leaves into my flower garden. This morning I was outside poking around and came upon the leaves. They had become lightly damp from the wetness of the soil and morning dew. Picking them up and manipulating them in my hands, I found that whereas yesterday they were almost brittle, today they were moist and supple. Moreover, they were deliciously fragrant! I torched parts of each different leaf and I was rewarded with a wonderful range of rich aromas of full and earthy tobacco. I could almost imagine which might be the neutral volado, the flavorsome seco or powerful ligero. So, if this impromptu experiment is any indication, these sticks do have greatness in them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) , just not right now, and just not when this dry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...ews/DryPSD4.jpg)

The Ashton VSG Tres Mystique
After my disappointing but educational experience with the PSD4, I turned to a VSG to bring things back to the good.

Review
Well, what can I say. This is one of those few cigars (like the Padron Anniversarios) that just never disappoints. The wrapper was a typically mottled mahogany. Oily and resilient, it's not what I'd call picture beautiful like the wrapper on a Torano Exodus 1959, but it suits this little powerhouse. The smell was pungent, suggesting a rich and powerful experiences.

Light-up was flawless and the burn was straight and steady. Smoke volume was plentiful and the body was rich and full. Solid tobacco flavors punctuated with mellow spiciness was the main profile. Good for 50 minutes of pleasure, this stick gradually became more assertive toward the end but remained smooth and powerful throughout. Highly recommended. In fact, put away a dozen or so to enjoy these gems as they develop.

Final note: This is one of the signature small sticks that I think competes with Cuba's best. The PAM Principe and FFOX Perfecxion5 are two others that come to mind.

(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...htonVSGtres.jpg)

Wilkey

Nice reviews. Both smokes are favorites of mine, especially the Tres Mystique in the mornings.

wow... kinda makes my reviews of 'Yea, I liked it' or 'Nope- didn't' look rather weak!

Nice reviews man... keep 'em coming! I'm looking forward to my PSD4 tasting...

Ginseng said:
Final note: This is one of the signature small sticks that I think competes with Cuba's best.

Couldn't agree more. I love those little firecrackers. Great reviews Wilkey! Keep 'em coming.

bfreebern,
I totally agree! :thumbs: The Tres Mystique is just so satisfying in so many ways. It is right up there with the best of them, IMO.

Swissy,
No worries man. Any cigar is an occasion to relax and enjoy. And any review is a sharing of the experience in some way. :) I'm glad you enjoyed my writeup. I didn't want to give the VSG such a short writeup but the PSD4 situation merited the additional analysis I think. :rolleyes:

Craig,
Thanks! BTW, I think this means you should hold onto that PSD4 for a little while. :D

Wilkey

Great reviews Wilkey. Sorry to hear about the problems with the PSD4. By far one of my favorites, and as of yet, never dissapointed. Will definately get the VSG on the "must have right away" list.

Scott

Ginseng - I just received a box from the same supplier and my were VERY dry too. When I squeeze on the band slighly, I hear a slight crackle. Other than that they are very nice but the dryness had me a little concerned.

Very nice review. I love VSG's and look forward to the Tres Mystique.

Great review, Wilkey. The PSD4 is one of my favorite robustos and I recently smoked one from a 2004 box that had been sitting in my humidor for the last 18 months. Wow...what a great smoke. All the puchiness had rounded out and had obtained a smoothness that you don't find in a young PSD4. The smoke had rich sweetness to it that was not overbearing, and the body and spicyness kept building to a perfect ending.

Hi there Wilkey.

First off I want to thank you for another great review (thorough and entertaining). Of the handful PSD4's that I've had, few of them had the same flavour profile. When they've been good, few smokes can come close. I've never had a bad one, but I'm amazed at the inconsistency (and not sure why they have this problem?). Since these sticks are known for their inconsistency, I wonder how the cigar journals rate them (I guess they just average the ratings).

I have a few of the tres mystiques in my humi, but I haven't smoked one yet. You've inspired me to burn one tonight.

Thanks again :thumbs:

Wilkey,

Where do you rank this guy on your list of VSGs?

Just curious. I have the Illusion up top followed by the Enchantment. Lots of vitolas compete for third and the Tres is one of them. But I can't seem to get one that begs to jump into the top two.

This being said, the worst VSG I've ever had was still very pleasing, hehe.

Wilkey,

Where do you rank this guy on your list of VSGs?

Just curious. I have the Illusion up top followed by the Enchantment. Lots of vitolas compete for third and the Tres is one of them. But I can't seem to get one that begs to jump into the top two.

This being said, the worst VSG I've ever had was still very pleasing, hehe.

Wyatt,

My top two are Illusion and then Tres Mystique. :) Then the Beli, whatever that's called. ;)

Wilkey

Ginseng,

When will you write a book with all of your cigar reviews? Such wondercful writing and explicit details warrant a book for newbs! Please keep this up and we will all end up spending so much damn money on cigars that we will all go broke. Can I have a box of Tres Mystiques, please?

-Fetter

Ginseng,

When will you write a book with all of your cigar reviews? Such wonderful writing and explicit details warrant a book for newbs! Please keep this up and we will all end up spending so much damn money on cigars that we will all go broke. Can I have a box of Tres Mystiques, please?

-Fetter

pffffftttt hes already got a big head and now your pumping helium in his ear :sign:

J/K kidding bro, I'll be first in line to get my copy signed :thumbs:

Ginseng,

When will you write a book with all of your cigar reviews? Such wonderful writing and explicit details warrant a book for newbs! Please keep this up and we will all end up spending so much damn money on cigars that we will all go broke. Can I have a box of Tres Mystiques, please?

-Fetter

pffffftttt hes already got a big head and now your pumping helium in his ear :sign:

J/K kidding bro, I'll be first in line to get my copy signed :thumbs:

LOL :laugh:

Excellent reviews, as always, Wilkey. Thanks a bunch!

Btw, I'll take 2 signed copies of that book. Make one out to "stevehawk" and the other to "thehatguy". (Christmas is coming dontcha know, and I gotta get a little something for the kid brother.) :laugh:

Teddy Grahams?? I thought I was bad enough eating ice cream after a smoke, but Teddy Grahams? WTF!

:p :p :p

I guess I don't get my copy autographed :sign: