• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

William Larue Weller

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
William Larue Weller 12 yo Barrel Proof (121.9), tall bottle, no extra packaging unless you buy a 3 pack "case", Limited amount available. $45 list price but because of the short supply priced as high as $65 in some places. This is part of the fall 2005 Antique Collection of Sazerac 18 yo rye, George T Stagg 15 (141.2 proof) and Eagle Rare 17.

W.L.%20Weller%20Barrel%20Proof.JPG

Buffalo Trace, the makers of this exceptional bourbon could call it the Spanish bourbon in their advertising if it wasn't so non-PC in today's world. Hot, spicy and smooth is exactly what this is. A high proof bourbon such as this is really a sipping drink with the alcohol and spices jumping to the front. Under a more civilized 91 proof cut (3:1) with water a whole different drink emerges. Cut is how I reviewed this but I'll have some thoughts about the straight version at the end.

The nose is hot with cinnamon and nuts riding on a good vanilla base, what one would expect from bourbon with high wheat content in the mash. Tasting reveals a thickness one wouldn't expect, the cinnamon and vanilla cover what I can only imagine is leather from a gentlemen's club that has seen 100 years of smoke and bourbon. Rich with a bit of oak. The finish is long spicy changing to cinnamon candy sweetness at the end.

I "tested" entirely too much of this last night in my never-ending quest to bring CigarPass the best review I could muster. :p While the review was done sans cigar I did light up an Oliva Bold Maduro for the refill(s) which were taken uncut. A really strong maduro cigar is almost perfect with the uncut WLW as the sweetness of the wrapper evens out the drying of the high alcohol content in the drink. The next time I try this I'm looking forward to a Don Carlos to go with some cut WLW.

Folks, this is one fine bourbon and well worth the $50 price tag. Highly recommended. :thumbs:

Very nice review AVB. I picked up a bottle for a friend and decided to get one for myself. This is usually the high end of my price range, but it was well worth it. I smoked a Short story while dinking it over ice. It was truely an experience.

-Dan

Thanks Dan, anything you want to add to the tasting notes? The more opinions the better!

You did a marvelous job. I think the cigar brought out some tastes of Toffee, and you are correct that the finish was very nice taste of sweet cinnamon or given the season I thought it had a hint of ginger. The one thing I liked was that the proof was not overpowering, the ice cut it just enough.

Just my inexperienced opinion.

-Dan

I can't believe only two of us have tried this Dan.

Especially with the 12yo 90 proof readily available (which is very good in and of itself)as well as the 10yo.

-Dan

I can't believe only two of us have tried this Dan.

Dragging up an oldie. I cracked one of the two bottles I purchased over Christmas last night. I will third the motion of sweet cinnamon and caramel on the end. I didn't get the toffee as aforementioned. The nose is also on the sweet side, though not the overwhelming caramel of the Stagg. Since its a wheater, it does not have the bite of a rye. Its a nice smooth alternative to the ryes I usually drink.

It is a coincidence that I enjoyed a Don Carlos #2 with this as AVB metioned. I can't think of a better cigar to pair with this one. Tasting was done sans water. My bottle is 117 proof.