• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Balvenie 1991 PortWood

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Balvenie 1991 PortWood, 700ml, Tube packaging, 80 proof, 14 yo, not available in the US.

Balvenie%20PortWood%201991.JPG

The newest rendition of the younger Balvenie PortWood the 1991 is a distinct improvement over the 1989 one. (edit: After a few more drams I've come to think the 1989 and 1991 Portwoods are closer then I initially believed) A limited edition of 6,000 (or so I've heard) make this not too difficult to track down if you really want one. Such was the case for a few members here who joined me in getting a bottle from the UK.

The color is a beautiful coppery - orange in the bottle and it lightens up to a pale straw in the glass. The nose the honeyed sweetness that Balvenie is known for mixed with fruit and oak with some nuts tossed on top. The taste is dry with a raisin fruitiness mixed with far away smoke all on a nice medium body. The finish is long and nutty with some maltiness showing near the end.

Overall, a solid middle weight dram that make you want to try the 21 yo version and compare the two. This could be a great "everyday" dram if it was easier to get.

Another nice review! Hope to get a chance to break into the Xmas scotch, that I bought, for a review tomorrow night.

Gregor

Don't dive in too deep, that's 120 proof!

I sent out 5 bottles of this surely somebody has tried it by now ???

AVB - I tried the 1991 PortWood last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It really does have a great coloring in the bottle. After letting it sit out in the glass for about 25 minutes I sipped it while watching MNF. The nose is where I could pick up the honey character. Very nice.

What I could glean was pronounced oak with a hint of raisins. Many of the tasting notes speak of toffee and honey but I'm not sure if my palate is capable yet of picking up those flavors in a whisky.
Overall I was very pleased, and wanted to go back for more but will hold out until holiday company arrives :)

I tried it the day it arrived naturally. The bottle was pretty chilly so it was a nice drink off the bat. My impression was that it was kinda sweet sweet. But in a good way. It went down smooth with no harshness that some Scotch can have.

I do love this bottle. It had a nice hint of smokiness to it via the Peat naturally. Nothing to strong that a newbie Scrotch Drinker would be repulsed by. Just another winner from Balvenie which seems to be their standard from my personal experience with drinking their wonderful Scotch.