• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Reserva J21

Ginseng

Banned
Today's study smoke was the Cojonu Reserva J21. Tatuaje is a small producer of "boutique" cigars based on the traditional Cuban ways. This is a point that they stress and that is none-to-subtly reinforced in their packaging. The entire 2005 line, which consists of 18 different front marks or "models" are Nicaraguan puros. This means that all the components (wrapper, binder and filler) come from the same country. In this case, Nicaragua. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Sizes in the Tatuaje line range from a diminutive 4.5 x 32 (Petite Tatuaje) to stunning 9.125 x 55 (RC233 diadema). Coming in at 5 inches long by 50 ring, this cigar is considered a "non-Cuban" robusto. The Cuban Robusto vitola de galera comes in at a slightly stockier 4-7/8 x 50 rg. Similar-sized vitolas de galera include the Gorditos (represented solely by the San Cristobal de la Habana La Fuerza) and the Hermosos. Cigars that are commonly referred to as Robustos but are actually Hermosos are the El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme, RyJ Exhibicion No.4 and Vegas Robaina Famosos.

Accompaniments were a Pillsbury peel-n-bake chocolate chip, pecan and caramel cookie and freshly brewed "Nicaraguan Knife-Fight." It was a rainy but warm day so I headed out to the garage lounge with my snacks, a research paper and this little beauty of a heater.

Prelight and Initial Stage
This is only the second Tatuaje cigar I've encountered (the other being the as-yet unsmoked Cojonu) but construction was consistent. This stick was built rock-hard (but not because of overfilling) with a Colorado-Colorado Maduro wrapper that was oily, silky and with little tooth. One thing I've noticed is that these cigars could not compete with a Macanudo or Leon Jimenes for a flawless wrapper. Specked with sunspots and mottled with light and dark patches, their sense of aesthetic is quite different but suits their ideal of a robust, no-nonsense cigar whose beauty is more than skin deep.

A quick squeeze and visual check of the foot suggested a good and easy draw and this was indeed the case. A prelight sniff revealed an aroma that was reminiscent of the best cigar store humidors. Rich and earthy, aged tobacco and cedar wood. I can see why tone-ny remarked on the compelling aroma of these sticks. So, initial aesthetics were very promising indeed. A quick click with my old Davidoff double-blade guillotine cutter and the cigar was ready for lighting. Gently toasting the foot released aggressive peppery notes. I actually almost sneezed from the sting. Light up was uneventful and the initial burn was even with a tight white ash.

First impressions were of an intense peppery flavor and aroma. In fact, for the first half inch there wasn't much else. Up to this point, the cigar was quite similar to the Carlos Torano Exodus Gold that kicked my butt. Hanging in there, the cigar soon throttled back and started delivering a dry woody and straight-up tobacco flavor that I'd characterize as "old school." By this, I mean strong and clear tobacco flavor without much supporting complexity. In other words, direct and pure but not balanced. I also noticed a pronounced "saltiness" on the palate. Smoke volume was medium and the mouth feel was dry but without harshness. Ash was firm, white and the burn line was thin but wandering. The flavor and aroma remained unchanged in the first third.

Finish and Final Impressions
Around the first third, the cigar added yet more woodiness, a touch of earthiness and a slightly creamier note to the body. And that's pretty much where it stayed until the final third where things started to become, well, less pleasant. The smoke got hotter and the little supporting flavors that appeared earlier started slipping away. A consistent run developed on one side. I also started to notice an ashy flavor as these other notes dissipated. By the last 3/4 inch, there wasn't even much tobacco flavor left so out it went at 75 minutes.

And that's when things went really screwy. All throughout, the cigar never let on that it was a nicotine bomb. And in fact, I had none of the head buzz that normally comes with strong sticks like the Opus X. However, once I got up I immediately felt queasy in the gut. This unpleasantness persisted through my shower, juice and dinner and didn't fade until nearly three hours after my last puff. Ugh. A second thing I noticed was the lingering scent on clothing and hands. I'm sure you've smoked a cigar where afterwards, you're just sniffing your fingers for hours, enjoying the pleasant aroma. Not so in this case. As I was rinsing out my coffee cup, I sniffed my fingers and nearly tossed back up my cookie. Wow. Rank is not a word I use often in reviews but in this case, it fit.

In summation:
A beautiful cigar that I wanted to like. I really did. Everything up to the point of ignition was so, so promising. But once on fire, the promise became unfulfilled. I don't know how this cigar will change as it ages. It's entirely possible that it will become stellar as time works its subtle magic. Being a relatively new brand, there simply isn't enough information to suggest whether beneficial maturation will occur. But for right now, the rest of my fiver is going into deep storage.

(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...eReservaJ21.jpg)

Wilkey

Great review! I am sorry it was not up to your expectations. Tatuajes have been a little hit and miss for me. However the one Tatuaje Reserva J21 i had about 8 months ago was great and renewed my passion for cigars. I do believe that these cigars will benfit from some aging. Give one another shot in a year or so. Maybe it will be a different experience.

Nic

I also purchased a fiver from tone-ny (thanks dude!).

I smoked one the night I received my fiver.
I too had some "experiences" with the Tatuaje.

Let me explain...the first third was fine, lots of tobacco flavor like ginseng stated.
But the later 2/3 got harsh for me. I'm not a seasoned cigar smoker...so I tend to get defeated easily by the nicotine god. This cigar got me sick/green rather quickly. I couldn't even finish it!

So overall, the nicotine content seems to be quite high for this cigar.
Also, the flavor profile was exactly as Ginseng reported.

I read the review in last month's cA and was so excited to smoke these babies.
cA described the flavors as, "...cream, coconut, nuts..."

Some may like this cigar...but my first impression of the cigar was disappointing.

Like FlyingPanther pointed out, it may benefit from some humidor time.
We'll see.

Great review as always Wilkey... I really liked this cigar but not as much as the Cojonu. It just seemed to be missing something that the Cojonu had.

Wilkey, wow I expected more from this cigars as the Cojonu is such a tasty treat. :( Sorry it didn't turn out to be a good smoke, maybe time will temper it. As an aside the second box is here so I'll get to try them and will report back on them.

Nothing to be sorry about big guy. I'm banking that Pepin knows what he's doing and that time will reveal the RJ21's hidden heart.

I am looking forward to hearing about your experience.

I haven't tried the Reserva J21 or any of the Reservas for that matter, but I have liked the Tatuajes I've had. The Cojonu 2003 and the especiales (lancero) are great cigars.

Another hit review Ginseng. Never tried a Tatuaje nor Cojonu Reserva J21 although I heard quite a bit about them (mostly positive I might add). Hopefully your experience will be quite different with some maturation as they are quite new to the market.

Wow, that's too bad that you had a bad experience with this cigar. My first tatuaje was gifted to me from a pay-it-forward. I thought it was excellent, so I ordered a fiver of the cojonu. I smoked one of those right away, and it didn't have quite the same profile as the first one I smoked. I can relate to your perception of the flavors, and I would agree that the nicotine in these is quite high. I have been very tempted lately to try another one. This might be enough persuasion for me to fire it up.

Pyre said:
I can relate to your perception of the flavors, and I would agree that the nicotine in these is quite high. I have been very tempted lately to try another one. This might be enough persuasion for me to fire it up.
[snapback]274876[/snapback]​

Pyre,

I think it's more than just the nicotine that accounted for my unpleasant reaction. When I smoke a strong cigar, I always get a two-pronged reaction: queasy or hungry feeling in the gut AND lightheadedness. That has been my yardstick for gauging nicotine punch.

It's possible that the this cigar is so substantially loaded with those mysterious congeners that that is what got into my system and wreaked havoc. I guess we'll find out in a few years.

Wilkey

Wilkey,

Your attention to details in your reviews is awesome.
Keep em coming!
Look forward to meeting you on the 25th!

-Rob

Ginseng I always dig your reviews. However I find that often I skip over most of the content and just look at the pictures. :whistling:

the gurkha said:
Ginseng I always dig your reviews. However I find that often I skip over most of the content and just look at the pictures. :whistling:
[snapback]275123[/snapback]​

That is ok.. I do the same since I can't read.. ???

You don't even have to scroll through more than one image. He combines them all for yall' super lazy asses :p

Great reviews keep them coming for sure :D

I find them tasty but they do have a strong harshness to them. Almost like the power ranger or the LG Chisel. After some years on them I'll bet the harshness will go away and it will be superb. They are already perfectly made. The bunching looked like a picture in CA, after I cut it.

Wilkey, we just smoked some(1/16/06) from a february 05 batch and they were steller. Set them down for 6 months or longer if you can and you will see a difference.

Also, smoke them on the drier side. 63-65% RH is where I smoke them and they have a wonderful flavor, burn is precision.

Mark

NorcalMark said:
Wilkey, we just smoked some(1/16/06) from a february 05 batch and they were steller. Set them down for 6 months or longer if you can and you will see a difference.

Also, smoke them on the drier side. 63-65% RH is where I smoke them and they have a wonderful flavor, burn is precision.

Mark
[snapback]277498[/snapback]​

Thanks for the update Mark. These were box code October 2005 so they were pretty darn near freshies. Also, mine was at 67% so I'll try for dryer next time.

I appreciate the info :thumbs:

OCT 05, that should have the new Ligero wrapper as well. Nice score, I haven't had the new j21 ligero wrapper.

Starting in Aug 05 the Cojonu, J21 are coming with ligero wrapper. J21's took a bit longer to hit the shelves.

Wilkey I think you sent me one of these as a hitchhiker when I purchased some cigars from you...

Well I smoked it recently (so that gave it at least 5-6 months 65% humi time correct?) and liked it, I had none of the problems you had and thought it a treat.

However the Cojonu 2003 and 2006 which I have had both are better than the Reserva J21 IMHO.

I'm looking forward to your second go with this cigar when you think they have had enough age.

Thanks for the GREAT review, I an sorry that you were not impressed. I have had the Taino, and I was pleased with it. It had alot of the characteristics that you described, but I did not experience the "rank". I was advised by a BOTL that the Tatujae's like it dry and smoke much better. I had a second Taino that was at about 63% and it seemed to burn much better as @ 69% it had some burn problems.