• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quai D'Orsay, Rocky Patel 1990

Ginseng

Banned
After the recent rough experience with the Tatuaje Reserva J21, I was a little shell-shocked. The memory of that unpleasant queasiness was hard to forget. However, being the trooper that I am, I decided that I had to get right back on the horse. Today's reading smokes were selected to gradually ease me back into the swing of things. The setting was my sun-drenched porch and drinks were Whiskers Blake Port with the Q'uai D'Orsay and coffee with the Rocky Patel. Whiskers Blake is an 8-year old tawny from Australia. Inexpensive and tasty.

These are off-duty reviews in that I wanted to simply enjoy the cigars with my reading rather than focus intently on scrutinizing the experience. In MRN's terminology, I'd be "smoking" rather than "tasting."

The first smoke of the day was the Quai D'Orsay Corona Claro. This is a Havana of the classic size, Coronas. Measuring 5-5/8" x 42 ring, this vitola de galera makes for an easy handling, easy smoking cigar. Regarded as a mild line of cigars, Quai D'Orsay is not one of the more popular brands. Perhaps this is because of particular disposition and setting one needs to enjoy a light-bodied, floral and delicate smoke. Let's face it, it's a busy and noisy world these days.

This 2002 vintage QDO was given as a gift by a very generous botl. With a reserved character, a quiet style and generous to a fault, he's become a model for many of the newcomers at CP to emulate. Let's just say this man was recently recognized for his selflessness with a big rack of yummy pig meat.

In a nutshell, the QDO Corona lived up to its reputation. Although the burn was occasionally erratic with a run that chased a soft channel, the smoking experience was otherwise trouble-free. The aroma was delicate and mildly floral. The mouth feel was light to medium light in body and very, very creamy. With each intake, my tongue and palate felt like they were bathed in warm tea rich with cream. I was hoping for a soothing experience and this fit the bill. The overall flavor profile was light and clean tobacco that was very slightly sweet with wisps of delicate woodiness. As the pictures show, the ash was reasonably firm and sooty gray. This is a testament to the fact that a great cigar does not necessarily need to demonstrate a snowy ash.

(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins.../QuaiDOrsay.jpg)

After a break, some cookies and a little time to rest the palate and sniffer, I moved on to the big boy, the Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage Robusto. This 1990 series is wrapped in a Honduran broadleaf maduro capa. As for aesthetics, this is a rugged stick. The wrapper is thick, a deep mahogany brown and rough. Measuring 5-1/2 x 50. It's just a tad longer than the typical robusto.

This stick is quite special in that it was given to me by one of the biggest Rocky Patel devotees on CigarPass. In fact, I think this one was handed to him by Mr. Patel himself! I know Peat's been anxiously waiting for me to torch this one and today was the day. Thanks buddy!

Light up was trouble-free and the burn was good, razor thin, revealing a snow white ash. Although the body was only medium, the smoke and flavors were rich and ample. With each draw pulling in gobs of smoke, the main flavors were tobacco, leather and deep earthiness. In fact, I'd almost say this one had the "barnyard," fertile earth aroma. This cigar never came across as harsh and the slightly loose draw made for an effortless smoke. All in all a very good smoke and one I think would be perfect for a rousing night of poker.

(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...90Robusto01.jpg)
(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...90Robusto02.jpg)

That pretty much wraps up my cigar escapades for the day. Altogether, I had the luxury of indulging myself for over two and half hours as I read and sunned. A rare opportunity indeed and one well spent with these two fine cigars. And although I solo-herfed, the gentlemen whose consideration and generosity made this reverie possible were with me in spirit.

Next stop, LFD Chisel...not!

Wilkey

Excellent reviews, and I'm glad you got to enjoy your day in such a pleasant manner. I've got one of those Q'uai D'Orsays that's been resting for about 6 months, maybe I'll need to pull that out soon. The RP, on the other hand, is a staple for me.

Another great review Ginseng. Thank You. Although you wouldn't consider this an official tasting but rather smoking I would dare to differ. Always looking forward to another one of your well versed & detailed smoking reviews.

I would like to add that I had great time smoking quite a lot of the QdO Coronas just recently and found them to be a perfect summer weather relaxation smoke while enjoying the sights & sounds of South Beach with a bunch of good friends.

Wilkey, great reviews as always, I look forward to them. Two cigars in one day, now I am really envious!

Wilkey, great reviews. :thumbs: I really need to get a better camera. :p

The QdO is fantastic. Have some from 01 that are smoking perfectly right now.