• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ben Nevis 32 yo Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Ben Nevis 32 yo, Blackadder bottling, 750 ml, 90 proof, no packaging, $80 on sale at Binny's (02/15/06), normally about $150.

Ben%20Nevis.JPG

Ben Nevis, another of the old distilleries that has survived multiple changes in ownership and some closings started life in 1825. Situated at the foot of Britain's highest peak it produced both Single Malt and Grain Whiskies from 1955 until 1971 including the famous "Dew Of Ben Nevis" blend. in 1971 the Coffey still was removed and Ben Nevis went back to just malt production Closed in 1986 it was bought by Nikka and reopened in 1990.

Finding any scotch this old at such a low price is an incredible deal. Even at the list price it is still a good deal. Blackadder only bottles whisky one of two ways: straight out of the cask with only a screen filter to keep out any wood particles and the same way only with a water cut to bring down the proof to about 90. As close to straight from the cask as you can get.

The nosing is one of fruits and oak with more fruits coming out the longer is sits in the glass. The taste is apples and plums with a very slight citrus & oak background. The finish is medium long and moves from dried apples to a solid toffee before fading, very flavorful.

A solid B+ performer and as I said before, an excellent buy on sale. If you are tempted to buy some Ben Nevis at a later date I would suggest that you find some of the pre-1990 distillings as they seem to be better then what is coming out recently. The 25 yo cask strength is also a very solid dram.

Also, Ben Nevis has a very unusual blend in that the malt and grain whiskies were blended together first and then stored in oak casks for 40 years, something you might not see again in your lifetime. About $240.