• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Banff 1966 Raw Cask

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Banff 1966 Blackadder Raw Cask 36 yo, 750ml, standard bottle with no extra packaging, 108 proof, normally $150 on sale at Binny's for $90 (3/24/06)

Banff%201966%20Blackadder.jpg

I did a scotch sample trade with another member on another board, what I picked was the Blackadder bottling of Banff scotch. Blackadder must have had a large stock of Banff since they have released a 31, 32, 34 and 36 year old over the years.

Banff closed in 1983 and most was destroyed in a 1991 fire so you won't find a new "young" release although there is a 23 yo Signatory that has to be some of the last produced. This Blackadder bottling is what they call a "RAW CASK" unfiltered, uncolored and uncut. You can see bits of the cask floating in the bottle according to my sample provider but I didn't see anything in the sample itself. For the professional reviewers there seems to be a either love it or hate it opinion. Jim Murray and Dave Broom both like a number of the older bottlings while Michael Jackson doesn't .... by a wide margin. Now for my thoughts.

This Banff is a very dark color in the jar, perhaps one of the darkest I've ever seen. Understandable since this scotch has sat in a first fill sherry cask for 36 years. The nose is raisins and oranges with some old leather underneath. The 108 proof really isn't noticed during the nosing. The taste is oak, maybe just a bit too much depending what you like, with a sherry sweetness that is boarding on a cognac feel. Spices but not spiciness poke up out of the mix. Nutmeg, orange and a little caramel all can be found. The finish is long with the alcohol noticed more on the roof of the mouth rather then the sides of the tongue. The raisins noticed in nosing reappear in the finish and ginger is the final fading flavor.

This is an old mature scotch in a gray area of maximum age and close to too old depending on your preference. For the price I'd say splurge and drink a bit of history before it's gone forever. I know it's on my list now. :thumbs:

I think the Binny's sale ends this month if you are looking for a deal on this.

damn I am only 45 yrs too late!!! Sir, can this bottle still be bought for under 200bucks(at least the 36yr one)?!?

Creamsherry are you familiar with the term "necro"?

I doubt you can find one at all let alone for under $200. It was released almost a decade ago and there were only 537 bottles of the 36 and I've killed two of them. ;)

AVB, what a wonderful review. I read them just cause. Thanks again for giving your take.