• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My kind of BBQ sauce

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Bourbon Bar-B-Que Sauce

I've somewhat modified this from where it started. Feel free to adjust to how you want it.

Start with a 4-6 qt pot

2 tablespoons unsalted butter (can skip if you add more olive oil)
1 tablespoon olive oil (can skip if you add more butter)
1 large Spanish onion (red onion), coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
3 cups bourbon
1 cup water (or skip the water and use 4 cups bourbon)
3 cups canned plum tomatoes and their juices, pureed (A 28 oz can is a bit more but you can just use the whole thing)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup red wine vinegar (optional to taste)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoon honey (can use more and skip the molasses)
1/4 cup molasses (can use a bit more and skip the honey)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper puree (add extra chili powder if you don't have this or finely chop one large jalapeño pepper)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat the butter and oil over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan or pot. Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 3 cups bourbon and cook until completely reduced. Add the tomatoes and water, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, excluding the salt, pepper and simmer for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and puree until smooth or just screen the mixture to remove the onion and garlic bits . Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool slightly. Whisk in 2 additional tablespoons of bourbon.

Be sure to check the bourbon quality at each step of the process.

Makes just over a quart of sauce.

I can't wait to try this. I would however suggest a non-reactive sauce pan. :laugh:

Doc.

I'll be looking forward to reading your reports or seeing y'all on COPS :p

oh YEAH!!
now we're cookin' with fire! this is a suace I gotta try. Guess I'm going to Costco for some ribs this week...

:cool:

Excellent recipe AVB. :thumbs: Made this up and grilled up a ton of ribs and chicken as well. Went over DAMN well. It goes well with Knob's Creek mixed up in it, though it takes damn near an entire bottle. Gonna try it again with Baker's and see if I can note any variances. Worth the experiment just to check the quality at each stage. :laugh:

Could y'all please refrain from any further tastey B-B-Q posts from here on out.

I know you only do it to tease me out here. :angry: :angry:

Could y'all please refrain from any further tastey B-B-Q posts from here on out.

I know you only do it to tease me out here. :angry: :angry:
Just think how much more you will enjoy it after all this torture bro!!!
:thumbs:
David

Thank you, I just use the cheap stuff myself because its cooked down so much.

Excellent recipe AVB. :thumbs: Made this up and grilled up a ton of ribs and chicken as well. Went over DAMN well. It goes well with Knob's Creek mixed up in it, though it takes damn near an entire bottle. Gonna try it again with Baker's and see if I can note any variances. Worth the experiment just to check the quality at each stage. :laugh:

Man, my mouth was watering just reading the ingredients. I have to try this after the weather gets better. I have no idea why it's raining in mid-May here in Davis when it was just 95*F last week.

Thank you, I just use the cheap stuff myself because its cooked down so much.

You're quite welcome. Believe it or not, that bottle of Knob's Creek was the cheapest bourbon I had in the house. :laugh: Still worth it though, although I must admit a little trepidation over "reduce completely." But, outstanding sauce, all the way around. :thumbs:

Gonna make up another batch for Labor Day so this bump is for all the noobs that may have missed it the first time around.

Someone asked me in PM how thick this is:
Sauce2.JPG

This is the end result:
Sauce3.JPG

I have never felt so bummed...insert edit..and drunk... before now that summer is "unofficially" over. I know you can BBQ all year long but it's just not the same.