• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Interest in Technical Threads on Tobacco and Cigars?

Ginseng

Banned
Recently, I've been conducting a literature review into research on aspects of cigars. My first target has been the curing and fermentation of cigar tobaccos. Some of the work that has been done extends as far back as the 1920's with a fair portion funded by US Tobacco companies such as Lorillard and Liggett and Meyers during the 1950's. I even turned up a fascinating account of tobacco cultivation from early in the 18th century.

There is a fair amount of information about the chemical changes that occur during the various phases of curing and fermentation.

In addtion to the subjects central to cigar makers, I've also turned up fascinating work on related aspects. For example, there is a 2001 study that demonstrates that Cuban and non-Cuban cigars can be differentiated by a relatively simple analytical method that I've used, albeit for other purposes. Also, there is a 2006 study that identified the chemical components of "cigar smoker's breath."

Although the original papers are sometimes highly technical, I would distill their central ideas and findings into language that the layperson could easily understand.

So, let me know if you guys think it might be useful, entertaining, or other.

Wilkey

I would like seeing it Wilkey.

I like learning new things, especially if they interest me. Cigars interest me :)

sounds facinating gin...was this actual paper or pdf????

I retrieve these documents from the digital archives at my university. Many are available in PDF format. I wouldn't have the time for the legwork to actually go through paper primary sources. Remember, this is just a hobby. :D

Wilkey

That would be stellar, I am always looking for things to read, while stuck in an airport....I am looking forward to it....

Sounds really interesting Wilkey, let us know what you can find!

<snipped>
There is a fair amount of information about the chemical changes that occur during the various phases of curing and fermentation.

In addtion to the subjects central to cigar makers, I've also turned up fascinating work on related aspects. For example, there is a 2001 study that demonstrates that Cuban and non-Cuban cigars can be differentiated by a relatively simple analytical method that I've used, albeit for other purposes.

<snipped>

Although the original papers are sometimes highly technical, I would distill their central ideas and findings into language that the layperson could easily understand.

Wilkey, this stuff would be terrific to see. Internet resources always seem to be difficult or expensive to obtain. Those of us no longer at school do not have access to your sources.

Please post some links/documents if you can!!! :D Please??

antaean

This sounds just like the kind of stuff I'd like to read up on as my fascination with cigars grows. Make it so Wilkey!

Wow this would be amazing "library room" reading during the morning absolutions....lol :blush:

I'd be game for some further reading on this hobby. I'm trying to digest everything I can about cigars and this sounds like it would be a great help.

Thanks for all you do around here Wilkey. You're truly a good man!
:thumbs:

... . My first target has been the curing and fermentation of cigar tobaccos. ... There is a fair amount of information about the chemical changes that occur during the various phases of curing and fermentation. ...

... So, let me know if you guys think it might be useful, entertaining, or other.

Wilkey

Thanks. This is a very generous offer.

I would really be interested in knowing more about these particular subjects.

I would love to read up more on the subject. I hope you do this, I think a lot of people would enjoy it.

Hi all,

I'm back from my vacation and will be starting to translate some of these papers.

Thanks for your interest.

Wilkey

Hi all,

I'm back from my vacation and will be starting to translate some of these papers.

Thanks for your interest.

Wilkey

Vacation? I didn't even realize you were gone. :)

It does soudn fascinating. I would love to hear the simple analytical method to differentiate cuban from non-cuban tobacco!