• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

BBQ Herf, Thread for plans and roster

EDIT. It has been decided and pretty much everyone supports the $15 per person for the dinner Saturday night. If you want to throw in a little extra for kids, no problem either way. If you would like to pre-pay via the PP method, you can. Just put down its for the BBQ Herf, and how many.

eanderson24@triad.rr.com Thanks e

Guys, I wanted to start a new thread for the BBQ Herf. The other is too many pages to sort thru, so I thought I'd try and provide the important info here.

I'm almost surely going to arrive there Friday night. We've got a good amount of people that are coming to this, so I will have some cooking to do. Haven't decided yet, and will get your input, but I will be cooking ribs, along with another type of meat. Possibly a couple beef briskets, or a bunch of chicken. But either way, I will have to have the cooker fired up early saturday morning.

As for the cooking, I was thinking that I will be mainly providing a good dinner for everyone that saturday night. However, the cooker will be going all day, and I can fire it up again on sunday if we need lunch. Its got a separate upper cooking area that is IDEAL for brats and hot dogs, etc. With that being said, if you guys want to take advantage of the cooker during the day, just bring some stuff with. Just don't bring like hamburgers or steaks, the temp will be too low, and it won't cook them worth a crap. Need HIGH temperatures for that. If we want to cook up a bunch of burgers maybe sunday for lunch, that would be fine. I'm not trying to set terms here, I just want to get everyone on the same level, and to know what to expect.

So, as for the dinner saturday night...this is what I tentatively plan on providing.

Baby Back Ribs.
another meat entree, either Boston butt, or Beef Briskets.
BBQ Baked Beans. These are great, I just take a big pan of beans and put them in the upper warmer, they are heated up slow, and collect the smoke flavor all day.
Another side...possibly Sweet corn..
If anyone has a special side dish you'd like to bring along, feel free. We will have a good amount of people here, and you can never have too much food. Just keep in mind if its something that has to be heated up or cooked, to check with me or Hatguy to make sure its feasible.

I'm really looking forward to this.....Can the Hillbilly Steaks BBQ live up to the hype :whistling:

There was also some talk at one point at possibly bringing some local beers. If you guys are really interested, I could pick up either a full or 1/2 keg of our local brew, Red Oak.

This event will be held at "thehatguys" place in West Virginia on the river. Near Baltimore. It will be the weekend of the 19th and 20th of August. A lot of plans are still in the works. Check back for more details.

e

THEHATGUY'S ADDRESS
Dennis Hawk
1123 Avon Bend Rd
Charles Town WV 25414

Alternate Address
191 River Rd
Charles Town WV 25414

List of attendee's So far
theHatguy
Hillbilly Steaks
Stevehawk
DemonR6
JunkMan 56
Coventrycat is definitely NOT coming :sign:
AVB and MrsAVB camping
Shooter????
Cigardawg Cigarwife Cigardawg2
Cookie 1978 wife and kids
Gtphale
Ludwig
Mrjinlesusa 88.1% as of today
alexgtp
Shadow???
ggiese????
Mr Wolf (3)
Mark N2Adventure :D
DDepaola??
Cincycigarman ???

If your name is on this list and you aren't going to make it, please let me know.

guys, I'm adding to this thread as I read thru the old thread. If you guys see something I missed or need to add, please PM me.

Some talk was made about rafting, here is some info stevehawk posted
You can include a cave trip as part of the Saturday's activities.
I had planned on taking Dennis and his son to a small cave that weekend anyway.
The cave is about an hours drive from his house.

That's another good idea! :thumbs:

For those who may not be familiar with these places, I've included some links below:

Blue Ridge Outfitters Rafting - The price is a bit steep but it is a good time. I've done this a couple of times. This is about 10 miles from where Dennis lives,

Charles Town Racetrack and Slots - Post time is 7:15 so this might make a better Friday activity. Slots are open from 7am - 4am. This is about 5 miles from the house.

Harpers Ferry National Historical Park - About 10 miles away. Great place for families or those who like history. This is the site of John Brown's raid and has a lot of Ciil War signifigance. There is a special celebration happening August 18-20: "Niagara Centennial Commemoration – Join the centennial celebration of the Niagara Movement, the cornerstone of the modern civil rights era. Celebration includes a variety of music, drama, and scholarship."

someone has to hang out and drink beer by the cooker with me damnit!! :angry:

:laugh:

You can fish in the river while you cook and drink beer, Erick. Another good idea! :laugh:

90 percent sure I will be there. I got the 18th-21st off. YES

4 weeks and change til this thing takes off! :D

<rubs hands anxiously>

No doubt! And where is everyone?? The excitement of this thread seems to have died out over the last couple weeks.

"turn it up......BRING THE NOISE'

I'm all set, can't wait for another great weekend hanging out with my favorite BOTLs.

Hey should we set a cut off date so that you know how many ribs and stuff to bring with you Hillbilly. These guys that aren't posting could really scew the numbers, seems kind of a waste for them to post they are coming and then say not sure. Then never reply back. After all thats a lot of food and drinks that could be bought for them.

I suggest we pre-pay for our ribs - That way if they don't show, we get the extra ribs :whistling: - Come up with a cost per adult for the food - I will also need a cost for the little ones - We can get you the $ 2 weeks ahead of time, that way you won't be out the $. If someone shows up that did not prepay, then they get tube steaks and they just get to watch us eat delicious ribs :D

I suggest we pre-pay for our ribs - That way if they don't show, we get the extra ribs :whistling: - Come up with a cost per adult for the food - I will also need a cost for the little ones - We can get you the $ 2 weeks ahead of time, that way you won't be out the $. If someone shows up that did not prepay, then they get tube steaks and they just get to watch us eat delicious ribs :D

GREAT IDEA... I would be in on that.

I will give them a hotdog and a stick ;)

I will give them a hotdog and a stick ;)

I'm not a rib guy (I know -- it's damn near un-American) so a hot dog on a stick will work just fine for me.

On the other hand, there was some mention of beef brisquet or Boston butt! :thumbs:

No doubt! And where is everyone?? The excitement of this thread seems to have died out over the last couple weeks.

"turn it up......BRING THE NOISE'

GEEEEEEZ! A guy goes out to Vegas, attends the RTDA, gets to try all kinds of new sticks, and you bust his chops for not posting? :p

I'm back on, ready for this herf. Can't wait. :thumbs:

Whatever HB fixes will be fine with me. :thumbs:

sending money ahead of time works for me. Let us know if you want to do it this way HB. :thumbs:

Just come up with a flat rate. If there is extra then use it for prizes like the speed herf, who drove the farthest, longest ash or whatever else you can think of. A flat rate makes it easy for people to figure out what they have to bring.

Yo E!

How come my name isn't on that list?! You think you haul your "butt(s)" all the way up here and go unscathed? :thumbs:

~Mark

OK, everyone. We have let this thread languish long enough. This herf is only 3 weeks away. So, I think we need to decide on a herf contest. That is, a contest for the members of CP that were not able to attend. Let's think of something creative (or simple, doesn't matter to me ;)). Could be guess how many people attend, the total sum of the ages of all of the attendees, hell, I don't care if it is the depth of the water in the river behind the house. Let's hear some ideas.

The prize? How about this? I'll donate a 25 count desk-top humidor (I'll try to add pics later) with a nice stogie inside. Everyone that attends, I'll hit you up for a cigar to add to the humi. The winner of the contest, gets the humi and all the cigars.

OK, what do you think? Give some ideas for a contest.

Sounds good to me!

How about the weight (in lbs.) of the amount of meat cooked and/or eaten!

~Mark

I am inviting some of the neighbors, just to keep the peace in the hood. Most will not show but it is customary in our neighborhood. Hope that is okay with you everyone. Also if anyone has easy-up tents for shade and chairs(whatever you like to relax in) I have a few extras but not a lot. Someone asked about fireworks. So if anyone had left over firework that would be fine. No need to buy any.

The river is nice and slow this time of year, so tubing, fishing and canoeing is good.

What are we doing for:

Beer? BYOB? or Kegs??? Do I need to supply or is someone bringing one or two? I will stock up on ice. I am renting a margarita machine for frozen margaritas.

Food? breakfast, lunch, I know Hillbilly is doing dinner. I will supply the food for Friday night. (pizza and chips)

This event looks like such a blast. If I can justify blowing off my brother's birthday party and the plans I promised I would do if I did blow off my brother's party, I would seriously consider splitting the drive with some other New Englander/Northeastern folks...
SINCERELY doubt that I will do any such thing....but damn, that looks like a good time!