• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Taboada Doble Robusto

Ginseng

Banned
That's right. If you are in possession of Sr. Taboada's recently produced Tijuana LCDH custom rolls, you might want to hold off smoking them for awhile. In contrast to all the glowing reports on these cigars when they were roller table-fresh, the smart money says that they have started to shut down for their sick period prior to their first maturation. It could be a year or two before they are really showing their potential again.

My thanks go to the gracious benefactor and botl who sent me this stunning cigar for taste testing. After I received this solitary gem, I struggled to find the right opportunity to smoke it. I strongly suspected that this cigar was starting to shut down but I went ahead with the review so that I could acknowledge he who shall remain anonymous. It was either that or wait a year and I just couldn't do that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Pre-light Observations
This was a beautiful looking cigar! The corojo wrapper was a rich colorado hue. It was most unusual for the fact that it had an amazing depth of coloration that made the wrapper seem translucent and almost a living thing under sunlight. Although not "text book" pretty in terms of having a flawless and uniform vein-free wrapper, this cigar was clearly well wrapped in top quality capa. The cap was uniform and glued on solidly. Slitting the cap above the shoulder revealed the wrapper twisted to enclose the bunch. Circumcising one more layer exposed the bunch, uniform and just right for a good draw. The foot was sort of a half-shaggy. The bunch was trimmed square but the wrapper was allowed to overhand a bit, though not enough to close up the foot.

The scent of this cigar was leathery tobacco and a bit rustic. To my nose, it smelled young and sort of tangy. Fillage was good if a bit light but with no discernible soft or hard spots. Though not perfectly circular in cross section, it was built well.
(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...leRobusto01.jpg)

Early Stage
The cigar caught fire with no problems at all and shortly, the foot was evenly lit. Initial impressions were of medium body with straightforward tobacco flavor. There was a subdued dash of pepper but certainly not enough to tickle the nose like a Party Shorts. Smoke volume was light to moderate and the draw was on the light side of a-ok.

About a half inch to an inch in, I was starting to get some earthy, leathery dimension to the medium tobacco but not too much else. Still hints of mild black pepper in the smoke. Expelling through the nose revealed a woody side to the flavors and just a bit of snap. Not harsh, not rich but heavy and sort of dense. Not much smoke, but what there was, was heavy, sort of oily.

Since I wasn't getting much of a response just letting this cigar soak in, I tried a variety of drawing techniques to see if I could wake it up a bit. I don't think I was totally successful. An occasional double pull elicited some sharper tobacco and nutty notes but that was about as much as I got. To its credit, it never did get harsh even with some more determined draws.
(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...leRobusto02.jpg)

Late Stage
As the cigar passed the halfway mark and moved into the last third, harsh edges started peeking in. The medium tobacco base that was there from the beginning started to become disorganized and chaotic. It's hard to describe but every now and then, I will be smoking a cigar and then suddenly, I hold it, look at it and wonder what is going on. The finish on the palate was rather nondescript and nothing to write home about. The ash was a super stiff light-medium gray. Since this was a rare cigar, I pushed it farther than I normally would have. But at the point where I stopped, the cigar was really no longer pleasurable to smoke. It seemed to be saying "hey, I'm done here, mind if I go home?"
(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...leRobusto03.jpg)

Summation
I had never smoked a cigar so shortly after its having been rolled. I am left to suspect that the cigar had entered a deep funky period to sort things out under the capa or wrapper leaf and that I caught it just as the edgy charm of youth had dissipated. I have no reference points to gauge how this cigar will develop as it matures. It really wasn't like any other "young" smoke I've had where there was a certain harshness, and unbridled strength. If the heaviness of the smoke and great unlit aroma are any indication, this cigar may well develop nicely into a medium strength cigar in the coming years.

Thank you again, my generous brother of the leaf for giving me the chance to experience this cigar first hand. Although at this stage it did not live up to the hype, I hope that one positive outcome of this review will be that those who hold these cigars will continue to do so for a while longer. Perhaps, in time, these exclusive cigars will grow to be worthy of the legendary reputation that Sr. Taboada has established.

Wilkey

Thanks again for a great review Wilkey.

Interesting summation!

When my Toboado's arrived I busted one out from each bundle soon after the package opened and smoked them within the first three days -

1x Doble Robusto
1xGold Medal
1x Dom Perignone

I enjoyed them all!

I have not had another for almost 4 weeks. I was told to smoke them within the first 3 to 6 months or put them into hibernation for at least a year. Is it possible that all three have already moved into a sick stage?

Brian

Brian,

I can't say for sure about all the vitolas you have. I can only report what my experience was with this single Doble Robusto. It was an interesting cigar but not really all that great. Perhaps only good. By comparison, the VSG Illusion a smoked yesterday was sheer sensual pleasure from the first puff to the nub. It was ripe, ready, and wonderful in every way. If I had to choose either another Illusion or Doble Robusto to smoke tonight, there would be no doubt at all. However, in five years, who knows?

One might put away a bundle of Taboadas for one's significant milestones. But for all the special little pleasures of life, I'd be more than than delighted with a steady stream of year-old Illusions.

Wilkey

I have the long doble robustos. I smoked one about 2 weeks ago, and it felt quite definitlively "not ready." Was it good, YES! Was it great? Well, it will be. Everything about the cigar said that given a few years, it will be world class.

I have 5-ers of the Sublime and the Dom Perignone. I'm going to smoke one this weekend (haven't got to one YET) and I'll post my observations.

Worst case, in a year or two.....watch out.... :thumbs:

The research continues - B.B.S.

<snip>
I can't say for sure about all the vitolas you have. I can only report what my experience was with this single Doble Robusto.

Well, we are just going to have to give you another experience for a
conclusive summation :whistling:

Brian

By this time they should be ready for a long nap. They have now lost that special fresh rolled taste that I love about the Taboadas. You can tell by how dry the wrapper is. When they are fresh the wrapper is very moist.

Last year ('05) I smoked a bunch of them within the 1st 2-3 weeks of getting them. The rest are all still sitting in my humidor. Sure, I have tried a couple since then but they are not ready yet.

I have some from ('04) and when I smoke one of those they are fantastic but I only have a few and the rest are going to sit for several more years before trying another.

This years run was not, IMO, as good as last years. I have read differently elsewhere but I think that they are wrong. I did not buy as many as I did last year because of that. I smoked about 5 doble Robustos, 3 Sublimes and 1 Super Rodolfo this year all within 3 weeks of being rolled. They were all very good. Now it is time for the rest of them to sit in the humidor for a few years.

Sorry you had to wait so long to try it Wilkey.

By this time they should be ready for a long nap. They have now lost that special fresh rolled taste that I love about the Taboadas. You can tell by how dry the wrapper is. When they are fresh the wrapper is very moist.

Last year ('05) I smoked a bunch of them within the 1st 2-3 weeks of getting them. The rest are all still sitting in my humidor. Sure, I have tried a couple since then but they are not ready yet.

I have some from ('04) and when I smoke one of those they are fantastic but I only have a few and the rest are going to sit for several more years before trying another.

This years run was not, IMO, as good as last years. I have read differently elsewhere but I think that they are wrong. I did not buy as many as I did last year because of that. I smoked about 5 doble Robustos, 3 Sublimes and 1 Super Rodolfo this year all within 3 weeks of being rolled. They were all very good. Now it is time for the rest of them to sit in the humidor for a few years.

Sorry you had to wait so long to try it Wilkey.

Hi Alan,

You have far more experience with Taboadas than I have but your recommendation seems to be the same as mine. Now is nappy time.Your observation about the wrapper was spot on. When I first received it, the wrapper was quite resilient. However, by the time I went to smoke it (between 1-2 weeks after receipt) it had gotten drier and stiffer to the touch.

I'm not sorry at all, but I do understand your sentiment. :D It was a valuable and worthwhile experience. :thumbs:

Wilkey

Wilkey & Alan, that is a sad tale. I have been so busy of lately that I did not get a chance to sample any of Senior Taboada's wares. I'll have to wait until next year to sample his 2006 cigars. Thanks for the heads up on these.

Wilkey, you always provide the best cigar reviews and this one did not disappoint -- another excellent effort. It's the first time I've ever heard of a cigar "circumcision" (which is sort of humorous) but it was wholly appropriate for the description! :laugh:

Wilkey,
Damn Buddy. You dissect this stuff down to the cellular level. Next time I want to see a picture from the electron microscope to see the chemical composition. I thought I was a freak about this stuff. I love it.

I was down in TJ about 3 weeks ago and tried a few of them. Couple of gold medals, a sublime and a dom perignon.
They were rather lightly rolled for his usual cigars and asking him about it, or rather complaining, he told me he has to get more out of the quantity of leaves that he has, hence the light weight. For my taste, the draw was too light although the volume of smoke was great. I like a bit of resistance in the draw.

I have tried cigars from TJ and in ISOM and I have to admit these are not the same material you get down there. He is basically at the mercy of the LCDH owner to bring good leaves and it is hit and miss. Plus travel shock, storage, plus plus plus.

Agree with Alan that last year was a better batch. But it gets harder and harder every year to bring out good leaves.
The prominentes(doble coronas) that I have from four years ago come from an antique tobacco called Aromoso Morris and they are a dream of a cigar.( See my new post). Oily as hell and dark as chocolate. They were good from the minute I got them and just getting better and better.

I had a Pyramid (thanks 'dub) the other night at Schatzi, paired with a nice cut of prime rib. It tasted very good, it was my 4th Tab, so with my limited experience they all taste pretty similar of leather, strong tabacco and tabacco. I guess I just really enjoy cigar tabacco ;)

Agree with Alan that last year was a better batch. But it gets harder and harder every year to bring out good leaves.
The prominentes(doble coronas) that I have from four years ago come from an antique tobacco called Aromoso Morris and they are a dream of a cigar.( See my new post). Oily as hell and dark as chocolate. They were good from the minute I got them and just getting better and better.

Rub it in, Jon, why don't you! :sign:

Wilkey

Wow!!! My sentiments are exactly in line with Wilkey... I had one yesterday, and it kept hitting me mid-tongue with a kinda funky taste. I was trying to define the flavor, but nothing I could put my finger on in a cigar. I enjoyed the cigar, but towards the end I just felt I had to let it go without nubbing it. I was a tad bit disappointed, given all the hype on these!

I've got an '04 in the humi I gotta fire up now, so that I'm not left with a bad impression... ;)

It's amazing how fast they were admitted to the infirmary. They smoked great for about two weeks and suddenly, almost overnight, they did a 360. I had one perhaps 3 weeks after being rolled and the smoke was bland.

I do believe these are great smokes and will come back in about 18 months. I'm very curious and interested in your summation on the 04 George.

Brian