• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Balvenie 15 yo Single Barrel

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Balvenie 15 yo Single Barrel Malt Scotch Whiskey, 95.6 proof, standard Balvenie bottle, tube packaging with info booklet. About $50-55.

Balvenie%20Single%20Barrel%2015-2.jpg

The Balvenie Single Barrel is a difficult scotch to give an accurate review on since it changes, however slightly, with each barrel. The bottle in the pic came from cask 2339 and was finished some time ago. My favorite Balvenie, I most likely drink more of the 15 yo then all the other Balvenies put together so this review will be a combination of what is actually in my glass and my experience with this dram.

I have the feeling that the good weekends to sit out on the deck are going to be in short supply so I took advantage tonight with a good 3 fingers in my glass and a DCM #4 for after the review.

The nose is full of malt, honey and a fair amount of alcohol which doesn't really show up in the tasting. Tasting is much softer and smoother then the nosing or proof would suggest. Sweet honeyish tones combine with a slight almond taste and spices over the top of it all. The finish is really long the the almond coming to the fore for most of it. Honeyed tones on the sides of the tongue are the final ending to this dram.

While the flavors are good and well balanced this scotch is just the slightest amount not complex enough to be a real ACE. Like an A- instead of a true A it is close but not quite there. Howver, it is one of the best Speyside malts you can buy at it's price point and I highly recommend it. :thumbs:

Here is the review Ralph did earlier this year.

Thanks for the review, terrific as always!

I had some of the Balvenie 10 yo with my son the other night. How would this compare as a point of reference on Speyside malts? Is it worth the price difference?

Thanks,

Ken

f the quote isn't enough I'm not sure what you're asking me? ???

Howver, it is one of the best Speyside malts you can buy at it's price point and I highly recommend it. :thumbs:

Great Review. I plan to pick a bottle up soon as I have wanted to try a new Speyside. Thanks AVB!

Very nice review as usual AVB.

I bought the 15 thinking it would be an improvement on the 12 year old Doublewood. It's a fine Scotch, it just doesn't fit my tastes. The way I describe this dram is that it's a "Bourbon Lover's Scotch" a flavor obviously earned in the first-fill American Oak casks. Come to think of it, all this sounds familiar and I think I may have reviewed this one as well.

You are correct, you reviewed this at the start of this year. I've now linked your review so people can get more then just my opinion.

Yep. Thought it might have been a peat induced flashback.

Although my initial review may have come across as less than spectacular, this whisky has really grown on me in the last 8 months. As I mentioned in the review, it's a nice Scotch after dinner alone or with a dessert.

I agree, it does seem to be an after dinner dram although I try to avoid scotch with dessert myself.

Nice. Yesterday I picked up a bottle of the 21 yo portwood for a song ($70). I am not a huge fan of Speyside malts but we'll see.

Picked this up tonight @ Kahn's and am looking forward to it :D

It's one of my faves, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Still quite new to whisky, I strongly agree with Ray's review of this. The smell from the glass is nice and very 'honey' dominate. It drinks well and although I can only taste almonds after reading about it now, but I knew there was a taste that I couldn't tell what it was (almond).

I think it has a nice malt taste to it and I'm sure that this is going to be a staple.

I usually grab a bottle after 20-30 shopping time and try to pick out names I've read about. 99% of all my buys are blind...I come home and get online and see what Ray had to say about it :p

Had some of this as an after dinner treat last night celebrating my birthday/Valentines. It was the first Scotch I've had in ~3 years but I think it got me back on the Scotch wagon. Any suggestions of something similar I might enjoy Ray?

Had some of this as an after dinner treat last night celebrating my birthday/Valentines. It was the first Scotch I've had in ~3 years but I think it got me back on the Scotch wagon. Any suggestions of something similar I might enjoy Ray?

Well noob that I am to scotch, I baught a bottle of the Double Wood, <===Linky last week. Very smooth and just as the review says. A good choice for us noobs to Scotch.
This is one of my first bottles of what I would say fine scotch. Very impressed with the presentation. to say nothing of the smooth flavor of this fine alcholic beverage. There bottles the label, all had me saying I dont want to drink this.. This is not your fathers cheap whiskey.. This is fine sipping whiskey.. Smooth as silk!

Had a couple drams over a few days and put it away.. Dont think I'll make 170+ bottles on the wall but I can see having a nice selection as time goes along.

Dont know if I should thank AVB for getting me started on this path.. But, it is nice to not have to go the way of the blind man while doing it.. :thumbs: Thank you sir, for your knowledge and forthought on the subject of Fine Singlemalt Scotch. It is appreceated.. If I'm going to go to hell in a handbasket might as well go out drinking the good stuff! :cool:

AVB,

I must say with 12 years under my belt, some days you really make we want to get a good bottle and join you. LOL really hope we get a chance to sit at the bar some day in Vegas and have a good smoke and chat.

Jay

You'd probably like Aberfeldy 12 and Old Pulteney 12. Both are good Speysides and both are available in the US. I'.ve reviewed them if you care to look.