• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aberfeldy 12 yo Highland Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Aberfeldy 12 yo Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky, short dumpy bottle, tube packaging, 750 ml, 80 proof, about $45.

Aberfeldy%2012.JPG

After working until 5am doing an upgrade I took today off and started to set up my satellite internet system. I dug the hole, mixed the concrete, set the pole, buried 70' of wire, hooked up the ground block, punched a hole in the side of the house and ran the cable into the sat reciever. Hook up the box into my home network and ran power to it. Not a bad half days work if I do say so myself. Still have to point the antenna and activate the account but all in good time. After all that the wife came home and we had a nice lemon chicken dinner I poured a good measure of Aberfeldy 12 into my glass.

Advertised as "The Heart of Dewar's" Aberfeldy has been producing since 1898 mostly for the Dewar's blends. John and Tommy Dewar started building the distillery in 1896 but it seemed to go slow since Tommy was out selling and not supervising the construction. When he returned he was driving what was only the third motorcar in all of England (after the Prince of Wales and Thomas Lipton the grocery store magnate) and things moved along.

This bottle reflects the newer packaging as Aberfeldy again tries to enter the US market. The older version was the classic shaped tall whisky bottle sometimes sold without the tube packaging. I like this new packaging better myself. The incorporation of the squirrel on the cork holder is a nice touch given the local history of the distillery.

On to what you are waiting for; the nose is full with malt, apples and a honey oak, even more so if left to sit for 10 minutes or so. First tasting is clean, crisp and full of a sweet malt with a small bit of spicyness, there is a nice complexity to the flavors as they mingle about in the mouth. The finish is a continuation of the tasting with a long slow fade of malt and soft spices.

At only 80 proof there is no alcohol burn and no need to add any water or ice IMO. This is a fine example of a Speyside and is different enough from something like The Balvenie to make it interesting and a worthwhile competitor. Well above average and just shy of outstanding, if you like Speyside malts you'll like this.

From your account, I should like this. I like Dewar's, I like Speyside malts,and I like the bottle. It's off to the state store. :)

Doc.

Yep, that sounds like a pretty good fit. :D

From your account, I should like this. I like Dewar's, I like Speyside malts,and I like the bottle. It's off to the state store. :)

Doc.

Nice review man. Sounds like a good one. Can't wait to get to try some. My supplies are about diminished. Not good for me.

Hope you can find it as it doesn't seem to be in very wide distribution yet. LMK if you want some and can't find it.

Poor Aberfeldy isn't popular at all. Maybe tomorrow's review will do better.

Great review, as always, Ray. As this is Dewar's Single Malt, I tend to like it. Though, I'm more an Islay man myself. But, I do keep a bottle on hand and would recommend it to others.

I was gifted a bottle of this as part of my father's day take. I will say it is not what I was expecting, it's better. What stood out in my mind from last nights tasting is that this one is warmer with a slight bit of smoke than expected. For some reason I was thinking it would be a tad sweeter.

Bevmo currently has this one on sale for just $35.99. http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?sku=0...ial&Ntk=All

I'm not sure if you liked it or not but at least it was a pretty good Father's day present.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, this is good stuff at $45. At $35.99 it's even better. My wife spoiled me this year. 5 single malts and one Johnnie Walker to complete my collection of their main line. (Red, Black, Green, Gold & Blue)

My little collection is growing.

Even I don't have a Red. That is some rough stuff IMO.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, this is good stuff at $45. At $35.99 it's even better. My wife spoiled me this year. 5 single malts and one Johnnie Walker to complete my collection of their main line. (Red, Black, Green, Gold & Blue)

My little collection is growing.

I got a bottle of this last week, and so far (in my limited experience) it's my favorite.

Righteous Ray! Thanks for the link. I've been really pleased with the 12 and got a bottle for fairly cheap the other day, now just waiting for delivery and will post a review when it arrives.