• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Macallan 18

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Macallan 18 yo, 750 ml, 86 proof, standard bottle (old style bottle reviewed), tube packaging, about $115-140, available nationwide.
Macallan%2018.JPG

The last of the turkey leftovers came out of the freezer and met their fate today as a turkey pot pie. Now we have pot pie leftovers :). When there are only 2 of us even a 16 lb bird takes some time to finish up. I went out to the garage and torched a Gran Habano #5 and watched the Army-Navy game until it was time to switch to UCLA-USC. The pot pie finished cooking and I took a break for dinner and then a pour of The Macallan.

While the 25 yo version is considered one of the top few of the sherried style it is also well over $325 a bottle now. For 37% of the cost of the 25 you can get 97% of everything that makes it great which, to me, is a pretty good deal. At the very least you have a good idea of what the very best Macallan vintages have to offer even if you'll never be able to afford them :0

The color is noticebly darker then the 12yo or Cask Strength versions with the extra time stored in sherry very visible. The nose is all you would expect from Macallan, sherried, spicy and a bit malty with a little brandy. The taste is soft and rich with sherry, oak, a touch of peat and dried fruits. The finish is fairly hot and spicy, more then you would expect from an 86 proof dram. That fades rather quickly into a oaky-smoke with raisins at the very end. The finish is medium in length and when it is done it drops off rather quickly until the next sip.

A bottle of Macallan 18 on one's bar or shelf is a sign of good taste and sophistication (I had to steal mine) and would be a good center to any small collection. If you can afford it the Macllan 18 is the one to have. An ACE! :thumbs:

Great review as always and timely as well. I've been wondering about this Scotch for a while as the 12y.o. is a favorite. Thanks AVB.

About the same price as that Glenfarclas so you've got a tough choice to pick one.

Damn it RAY! Is that packaging the one you got? It's an '85? Current production is '87 and isn't as good! Have you had that for awhile? If you got it recently, where the hell did you find it?

I bought 2 in early '03 before the price rise. They were only $78 each then on sale and this is the second one.

Thanks for the great review. I have only had this one time, but it was great.

I've been considering a bottle of this for my next scotch purchase. I've enjoyed this whisky many times in Las Vegas and after reading your review I feel better about spending upwards of $150.00 on a single bottle.

Thanks for taking the time to write these reviews.