• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oban 14 yo Highland Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Oban 14 yo Western Highland Malt Scotch Whisky, 750 ml, 86 proof, standard bottle, tube packaging, about $50-60, available nationwide.

Oban%2014.JPG

Oban is advertised as one of the "Classic Malts of Scotland" of which there claim to be six: Glenkinchie, Lagavulin, Cragganmore, Talisker, Oban and Dalwhinnie. This marketing plan launched in 1988 has worked well with the renewed interest in single malts and can be directly tied to the shortages of Lagavulin, Oban and Glenkinchie in the last few years.

I was asked rather nicely by two people recently and a few others in the past to review Oban so I thought today would be as good as any to get it done. There aren't too many normal scotches I have left to review so this will be a nice break from some of the more esoteric ones that will show up.

Oban is a western highland malt of which there are only 4; Ben Nevis, Glengoyne, Glenlochy and Oban with Oban being the best known although you can see the Tobermory distillery on Mull right across the channel. The distillery traces its roots back to 1794, well before the town of Oban itself sprouted up around it. It has been in continuous operation since 1938 except for a period when a new still house had to be built and the War. It is one of the very last distillers that still use worm condensers in it's production with the vast majority of that production going into blends, mostly Bells.

A good basic American dinner of ham, baked potato and green beans called for a nice digestifs to help things along and Oban fits that bill quite well. The color is a good wet straw yellow that only changes in intensity when going from the bottle to the glass. Nosing reveals a light peppery blend with citrus and oak in a well balanced mix. First tasting is just slightly disappointing as it doesn't quite live up to the nose. The taste is sweet, smooth and with more malt then the nose suggests but it is not as full as one would think or like. Oban finishes well with the malt and even a bit of the sea swirling about for a medium long time.

As an after dinner drink this does well. As a dram to go with a cigar it is a bit light. I'm sure that some small change would really make this dram shine but I can't quite say what that should be. Bottling at 90 proof, two more years in the cask or 2 less years like it used to be, or even using a different brand of bourbon casks might do it. In any case this is a solid "B" dram but nothing exceptional......although very few are.

Nice review as always. I might have to try this one as it sounds like one I'd enjoy.

I was gifted a bottle of this for Christmas and am looking forward to trying it. The color in the bottle to me looks very nice. Thanks AVB for another review!

Great review AVB! :thumbs: I just picked up a bottle of this yesterday and tried it last night and your review is spot on.

Great review AVB. While I enjoyed this scotch there a definitely several others in this price range I would reach for first. That being said, a couple of my buddies think it is an ace so to each his own. :thumbs:

There are some here that feel the same way. wrx0170 posted a thread where he liked it better then Talisker, Lagavulin. I don't hold that opinion but, as you said, to each his own.

Great review AVB. While I enjoyed this scotch there a definitely several others in this price range I would reach for first. That being said, a couple of my buddies think it is an ace so to each his own. :thumbs:

I have been waiting for this review for a while. Oban is my personal favorite, and I am sorry to hear that you think it is just a secondary drink AVB. As with cigars, I have learned that everyone likes something different, which makes trying something new fun.

Thanks for another good review AVB. I'm always surprised Oban isn't rated a little higher.

Just goes to show you I have a lot to learn. Also, different strokes for different folks. I always keep a bottle here at my house.

Thanks again!

I always recommend this over Glenfiddich 12. I know it's more money but well worth it! Excellent review!

I always recommend this over Glenfiddich 12. I know it's more money but well worth it! Excellent review!
The Glenfiddich 12yo does nothing for me. If anything, I find it too harsh and not to my liking. Now the 21yo Gran Reserva is a completely different story! :love: :laugh:

The Glenfiddich 12yo does nothing for me. If anything, I find it too harsh and not to my liking. Now the 21yo Gran Reserva is a completely different story! :love: :laugh:
I guess I should have said for someone just getting in to scotch :cool:
Bill, that's about as good as a highland gets.

I just bought a bottle tonight. I have poured myself a couple of fingers and enjoying some chocolate with this dram and wow does it taste great. I do agree that this might be a little soft with a nice cigar, but I am enjoying it while watching Fried Green Tomatoes!!! Enjoy Gents, it fits nice with the other bottles!

Thanks for the great review AVB. Oban is one of my all time fav's. Nice and peaty.

Enjoyed reading your review. Reading your reviews is becoming a nice thing to do while smoking a cigar.
I especially like that you include other references rather than just giving us tasting notes. :thumbs:

Excellent review. I have enjoyed many a dram of this fine scotch. Good stuff.

Hmm, I missed this review when it came around the first time. For a year or two, I always had a bottle of this whisky in my cupboard. I find it to be a nice, mild highland scotch with just a hint of island character - a bit more peat and salt than many highlands. However, after I discovered Islay whiskies, my Oban cravings have fairly subsided. I did consider buying a bottle out of nostalgia not too long ago, but the price had risen so much that I quickly changed my mind. Still, it is a fine whisky and one that I would not hesitate to drink or to serve. (Only to buy. :laugh: )