• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glen Elgin Speyside Single Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
This is my 150th spirit review and the 105th scotch review, who knew it would get this far. :0

Glen Elgin Speyside Single Pot still Malt Whisky, 12 yo, 86 proof, standard squat bottle (like Balvenie), box packaging, not available in the US, about $83 imported from the UK.

Glen%20Elgin.JPG

After offering this for the last few buys with little interest I decided that maybe if I review some then more people would have an idea what it was like and perhaps order some thenselves. Hopefully, CoventryCat86 will chime in with his thoughts since he is the only person to have gotten a bottle besides myself.

The Glen Elgin Distillery sits 2 miles south of Elgin on the road to Rothes, and it was the last distillery to be built during the 1890s when a number of other distilleries were built. The architect, Charles Doig, had stated it would be the last one built in Speyside for at least the next 50 years and he was uncannily accurate with Tormore being the next distillery built in 1958, 60 years after Glen Elgin. Two things made Glen Elgin unusual. First; until the 1950s the distillery was entirely operated and lit by paraffin. All machinery was driven by a paraffin engine and a water turbine. Secondly; it has a huge storage area for the malted barley at about 440 tons (US). This is 3 times or more the norm and may be the largest in Scotland. Available as an official distillery released single malt only since 2001 there have been some independent bottlings of older stock for about the last 20 years with the Whisky Glalore 12 yo bottling being exceptionally good for the price. The majority of the distillery output is used in blends, especially White Horse.

Your basic American pot roast dinner started my evening. The wife really does an excellent job with this. :thumbs: After letting dinner settle a bit I poured 2 fingers of Glen Elgin in my glass and parked myself in my chair to compose this review for you. Nosing is a bit different for a Speyside. I get the faint smell or burning leaves from far away borne on wind. That mixed with honey, malt and leather. Tasting reinforces the honey and malt from the nose. While being sweet it isn't an over powering sweetness but mixes well with the malt, wood and vanilla. The finish is long lasting with a touch of dryness toward the end. This is a very solid B+/A- dram with a good complexity that I thought made it well worth the price. An ACE!

Impressive Ray!!!
105th Scotch review... :0 I haven't even tried 5 different yet!!!
Great review!!!

Thanks for all you do!!!

Damn shame they only sell it in europe, or can you get it here?

I've had it in my last two scotch buys and I'll offer it again in the next one.

Damn shame they only sell it in europe, or can you get it here?

Had some of this with a 2002 PSD4 last night. I think they went quite well together.

Hopefully, CoventryCat86 will chime in with his thoughts since he is the only person to have gotten a bottle besides myself.
Wow, I guess old age is catching with you Ray :laugh: , I bought a bottle from you last year! Your review is spot on. This is one of the better, more reasonably priced bottles I've gotten from you. If you have a chance, pick up a bottle. You won't be disappointed! :thumbs:

Yep. you're right. I can't keep up with your volume of purchases :p

Hopefully, CoventryCat86 will chime in with his thoughts since he is the only person to have gotten a bottle besides myself.
Wow, I guess old age is catching with you Ray :laugh: , I bought a bottle from you last year! Your review is spot on. This is one of the better, more reasonably priced bottles I've gotten from you. If you have a chance, pick up a bottle. You won't be disappointed! :thumbs:

:laugh:

Yes, AVB hooked me up with a bottle of this earlier in the year and WOW, I love it! It's very smooth for a 12yo, certainlly head and shoulders above a Glenfiddich 12yo or a Glenlivet 12yo. I do indeed notice the "honey" on the nose and as I mentioned this goes down very smoothly. It's a close second on my very short list of single malts I have in my bar, the Glenfiddich 21yo still being my favorite but this is my second favorite so far. I can't wait to see how I like the Laphroaig 30yo :0 that will arrive on Monday. :thumbs:

As AVB said, this Glen Elgin 12yo is well worth the money. :thumbs:

Another great installment Ray!

I believe you need a publisher! :thumbs:

That Laphroaig isn't going out until tomorrow, it might be pushing it to expect it Monday.

I can't wait to see how I like the Laphroaig 30yo :0 that will arrive on Monday. :thumbs:

As AVB said, this Glen Elgin 12yo is well worth the money. :thumbs:

I've got one. I publish here!

Another great installment Ray!

I believe you need a publisher! :thumbs: