• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glenfarclas 17 yo

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Glenfarclas 17 yo Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky, 750ml, 86 proof, tube packaging (although I have seen it without), short bottle style, about $70-80, available nationwide.

Glenfarclas_17.jpg

After watching crap fall out of the sky all day I knew I had to go next door and shovel my neighbor out so his home care worker could get up the driveway. This is one of those really wet thick snows which seem to weigh 40lbs per shovelful. That worked up a sweat and so I thought a nice glass of scotch would be a good way to relax afterwards. Too bad I don't smoke in the house or I'd fire up a stick to go along with it.

Glenfarclas is unusual in a number of respects. First; It is one of the few family run distilleries left having been run by the John Grant family since 1865. Second; it has the largest stills in all of Scotland. Third; It was again one of the few distilleries not to have closed since inception. Lastly; Only half of production is used for blends with the other half being marketed as a single malt.

Pouring a decent dollop in my glass I let it sit for a few minutes before nosing. The nose is clean, fruity and full with a touch of oak. Tasting brings out a remembrance of peach, pear and a bit more oak from the nosing. Very good depth and complexity as it coats the tongue. The finish is long with more oak showing up at the expense of the fruit but it retains a nice sweetness almost to the very end.

There are so many really good malts that come out of the speyside region it is hard to always be saying good things about them. Glenfarclas 17 is another that while good unto itself, also gives a good indication of what is to come. The 21 yo is a bit better, the 25 better still and the 30 yo (not available in the US) was the top medal winner at the International Spirits Challenge. I'll review the 30 at some point in the future before I finish my bottle. I can easily recommend this Glenfarclas to anyone looking for a good speyside or a good scotch in general.

Nice. I was looking forward to this review as I've been intrigued by this Scotch for a while now. Thanks AVB.

My pleasure.

Really, it was :)

Hummmmmm, besides the Sheriff, this didn't go over very well last night.

I've never seen this scotch. Sounds great.

As always, the review is greatly appreciated.

Ken

I have been so busy I just noticed this review. I can't say why and nothing to do with your review, but this one just isn't calling my name.

Thanks for taking the time to post your tasting notes Ray.

Picking up a bottle of this tomorrow night. 

Well....after a 3 hour delay on the freeway last night I got in late and wasn't in the mood for driving anymore. Passed the liquor store without stopping.

Next time..........next time.

A drive like that would make me WANT to stop at the liquor store :laugh:

Believe me...I wanted to but by the time I got there the first place I wanted to go to was closed. After that I was just too sour to go anywhere else. 

A drive like that would make me WANT to stop at the liquor store :laugh:

Thanks AVB- I haven't found this one in my travels so far. I will have to look for it and give it a try.

R