• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

George Dickel No 12

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
ThankYouForNotSmoking graciously sent me a bottle to make up for Pennsylvania's stupidity and that earned it a place at the head of the review lineup for tonight.

The full title is: "George Dickel Original Tennessee Finest Quality Sipping Whisky, Superior No. 12 Brand" Quite a mouthful to say the least! 90 proof, long neck squat bottle, no packaging but sometimes found with a box around the holidays, 750ml, $16-20, available nationwide EXCEPT Pennsylvania :( .

George%20Dickel.JPG

(The stain on the label is not the norm)

As the "other" Tennessee Whiskey George Dickel is frequently overlooked in favor of the more advertised but inferior Jack Daniels brand. Both are made pretty much the same way except that Dickel uses cold charcoal filtering (at 43F) and Daniels uses ambient temperature charcoal filtering. I think it makes a difference but some purists say that cold filtering also removes some flavor however, I'm not sure how that would change the comparison with Jack Daniels. Besides tasting better, George Dickel is higher proof and aged longer then Jack Daniels No. 7 making it a "no-brainer" as far as I'm concerned.

A bit of history, Grorge A. Dickel was never a distiller himself nor did he own the Cascade Distillery that produces George Dickel whiskey. However, George A. Dickel & Co. of Nashville, TN did bottle and distribute the whiskey. The success he had in advertising, marketing and distributing Cascade whiskey is what allowed that distillery to survive while so many other distilleries closed down. Dickel's operation in Nashville was based in what is now the Market Street Pub and micro-brewery downtown on 2nd Ave and I've heard it serves up a pretty good brew and grub too.

Now for the short and sweet. The nose is soft with a buttery baked apple pie crust pushing up against a good vanilla and mildly citrus background. The taste proves the nose, a chewy brown butter with a bit of lime and vanilla oak which leads up to a medium long finish that retains the apple pie nuances until the very end. On top of it all this is smooth, very smooth. as in I can drink way too much of this too fast smooth. George Dickel can easily give a run for the money with almost any bourbon in it's price class and beats the pants off Jack. My only complaint is they spell "whiskey" wrong (without the "e" like the Scotch distillers do) for an American product.

Buy some, you won't regret it. :thumbs:

Where's that smokinbolt at? He had questions about this just last week.

I had a bottle of this in my hand yesterday but put it back when I spotted Elijah Craig 18. Now I see I should have bought both. :thumbs:

Thanks for another quality review AVB. :cool:

Can't go wrong with either one but yep, you should have got both :D

I had a bottle of this in my hand yesterday but put it back when I spotted Elijah Craig 18. Now I see I should have bought both. :thumbs:

Thanks for another quality review AVB. :cool:

One of those days.....I think me and George are gonna be right friendly tonight.

I had my first few sips of this yesterday out by the pool. It's still in the high 80's here in Tucson.

This is very good tasting bourbon, amazingly smooth and somewhat sweet on the palate. I am a big fan of apple pie so I wasn't surprised I liked this one. In the under $20 range I'm not sure I've tasted anything else of this class. I'm very glad I tried this one.

Thanks AVB!

In reality it is a Tennessee Whiskey and not a bourbon but people do get that mixed up all the time. Still good stuff no matter what you call it.

I had my first few sips of this yesterday out by the pool. It's still in the high 80's here in Tucson.

This is very good tasting bourbon, amazingly smooth and somewhat sweet on the palate. I am a big fan of apple pie so I wasn't surprised I liked this one. In the under $20 range I'm not sure I've tasted anything else of this class. I'm very glad I tried this one.

Thanks AVB!

In reality it is a Tennessee Whiskey and not a bourbon but people do get that mixed up all the time. Still good stuff no matter what you call it.

Thanks AVB!

Woops! You are right, although in this case it's Tennessee Whisky. :cool:

I knew you knew. I was trying to yank your chain because I knew it bothered you they spelled it wrong. I'm working in my dry sense of humor, sorry! :blush:

Just saw this start popping up in the stores around here recently and remember seeing Ray review this so I got a bottle @ $20 (for some reason Iowa is always at the upper end of the price range you state in your reviews :( ) I wholeheartedly agree that this is very good for the money, and also very smooth. A squirt of water really opens it up and the second glass is going down as well as the first. Thanks for the suggestion Ray!!

George Dickel was one of my go tos during college. I'll have to pick up a bottle next time I'm out. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.