• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Preferred Humidity Percentage

What percentage do you keep your humidor?

• 65%

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • 70%

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

lucasbuck

Sheriff Buck
I'm looking into switching from foam based Credo type humidifiers to Climmax. I'm trying to decide between the 65% and 70%. Thanks for any and all input everyone.

I have heard that ISOM's are best kept at 65%, while most domestics do better at 70%.

Personally I am trying to get one of my humidors to come down to and stay at 65%. COurse no luck yet :( I have a hard time keeping them from going above 70-72% - arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :sign:

Sam

65% for me for everything. Havanas smoke better at a little lower humidity because they're bunched tighter.

Craig,
SOme think lower is better. I am paranoid though.
I don't think you can go wrong at 70%, espescially since the minute you take them out of the door they begin to drop in humidity.

But I have heard that ISOM's are better kept at 65%.
I can attest that I had one at about 72% and the thing was impossible to smoke.

Hope that helps
Michael

I live in a very dry climate so keeping the 70 is a challenge for me at best. If I keep 70 then I feel more comfortable knowing I have some wiggle room if I don't notice soon enough and things go south for a while.

Wow! I wrote that and I'm not real sure it all made sense to me.

gibu said:
I live in a very dry climate so keeping the 70 is a challenge for me at best. If I keep 70 then I feel more comfortable knowing I have some wiggle room if I don't notice soon enough and things go south for a while.

Wow! I wrote that and I'm not real sure it all made sense to me.
That made perfect sense to me. I think that's a pretty good plan.

Except for this summer (SD_Stack will back me on this I'm sure - <swim on over Steven>) we have a fairly moderate climate in NC, so I keep mine a little below 70, but not 65 if I can help it.

I do love my 'gars to burn hot so a little drier is OK for me, but, again, aiming for 65 makes me nervous.

I started out at 70%. But to be honest I find that my cigars seem to be doing better and smokeing bettr at 65 or just a tad higher. :thumbs:

63-65% for me....everything smokes better period. Almost non existent burn problems or split wrappers keeping the lower humidity. 70 if I was planning to store something for say 10-20 years.

i voted 70% in the poll. that's not by choice it's just all my humi will
accomplish. i've found everything smokes better at 65% or even
a little lower. like all123 said, no splits, perfect square burn, etc.
i'm planning on looking into climaxx beads to replace my foam system.
all i have is a desktop humi, maybe 1/2 cubic foot. any suggestions
on how much weight of beads i would need? would what would fit in
the existing plastic canister that sticks to the lid be enough maybe?

sorry to jack your thread a little bit there LB!

l8er

todd

Question though about the humidity-
At what point do the cigars start drying out?
Ever smoked a cigar from a place that didn't have a good eye on the humidity? Yuck.
Sure it will burn better, but it will ruin the taste also. SO where is the line at???

Michael

Excellent question Mike. I'd like to see some of the FOG's weigh in on this one.

i used to go to a stop-and-rob that had a small walk-in
humi. they had a nice selection. unfortunately they had
morons working there that didn't know d@#* about
cigars. last time i went in there, they had let the humidifier
run dry and RH was @ 38%! :0
they had nicely wrapped dust, so i can tell you that 38% will dry
them out! i've seen as low as 60% still smoke well, although i
don't know how long it had been 60% or if that would eventually
dry them out or not.

todd

There is a new super-mega-mondo wine store here in town. I don't drink a bit, but went in there with my mom a discovered that they alos have quite a cigar offering (since then I've been several times). They have three huge wall cabinets and a ~200-count humi at every register.

They keep the cabinets well maintaind with a matching super-mega-mondo HumidAir system, but the register humis are a joke!

I was there today when I was waiting to meet for dinner and started chatting it up with a guy that was picking out a few for the long weekend. I then noticed that he had a few in his hand that I was pretty sure had come from one of the register humis. I asked him if he'd checked the gauge when he got them out, because every time I'd been in there, those at the registers averaged about 50%. We walked over to the one he'd picked them form and it read........28% :0 :angry:

The air in the store probably had that much in it! - just leave the lid open!

He thanked me profusely and proceeded to grab three Montes (Serie V Robusto, #1, and #4) from the cabinet.

I was hopeing that he buy me a #2, but he didn't ;)

The good news is that I found Serie V mini belli (I think ??? ) mislabeled as some H. Up 2000. I got a $7.50 stick for $4.89 :thumbs: It was the only one....believe me, I searched the entire box :D

To congradulate myself, I bought a Mac Diplomat Maddie (Yuuuuuuumy!!! - had one last thursday) and FINALLY a Monte #2.

:sign:

Cheers,
Dixie

Wheres this HUGE wine shop dixie? I been going to Frugal McDoogles at Carowinds. :)

SD_Stack said:
Wheres this HUGE wine shop dixie?  I been going to Frugal McDoogles at Carowinds.  :)
Its new. "Total Wine" - behind Park Road Shopping Center (Park Rd. & Woodlawn). I've only been to Frugals twice, but I think TW is only slightly smaller. I've never seen anywhere colse to that much wine in one place except at a vineyard.

They do have amazing wine prices according to my mom, but their gars are retail. Except, for some strange reason, the Monte #2 ??? : only $9.49. At most places I've been, its around $12.

Cheers,
Dixie

There is a Total Wine on Independence across from Windsor Square in Matthews. I haven't been in. Maybe I'll stop by sometime. Thats alot closer than Park rd.

mikedevilsfan said:
Question though about the humidity-
At what point do the cigars start drying out?
Ever smoked a cigar from a place that didn't have a good eye on the humidity? Yuck.
Sure it will burn better, but it will ruin the taste also. SO where is the line at???

Michael
Not sure I understand the question. There is no "point" at which they start drying out. The less the humidity the drier the cigars. You can leave your cigars at 65% indefinately and they'll smoke (and taste) great. It's especially true for Havanas but also true of nons.

I keep my cigars at 65%-67% RH and they smoke just the way I like 'em! I feel that this RH also does well for aging! Just my $.02.

Aloha,

Wade