• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aventinus Cellar Aged

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
I’ve got to start by saying that I’m typically not a big fan of wheat beers. That being said, I’ve been looking forward to trying this ever since Peter (Aventinus, he must like it?), sent me a bottle in a trade, because it is so highly regarded.

So after accidently posting this before I had even started putting anything in the post, then getting booted by IE when I was almost done with it, here are my impressions.

Style - Weizenbock
ABV - 8%
Brewed In - Kelheim, Germany
Availability - Brewed Year Round

IMG_0310.jpg

Appearance

Poured a dark, cloudy copper with a 2 finger white head. The head disappeared almost immediately, which left very thin lacing, that also, was gone very quickly.

Smell

Sweet malts and fruit, along with yeast and a hint of citrus.

Taste

The aroma gave a VERY good picture of what was to come with this beer. The sweet malts and dried fruit were definitely on the forefront. This beer was so complex though, that it was hard to put a finger on all the different flavors. There was a slight hint of a citrus tang, along with cloves, brown sugar, and caramel.

Feel

Oh Buddy! This beer is bad news! It is pretty thin, texture wise, with a bit more carbonation than I was expecting, but definitely not to a fault. It’s scary how smooth this beer is, especially with the ABV, and the finish is so clean. I could definitely see myself sitting down and drinking more of these than I should.

Verdict

As I said earlier, wheat beers aren’t typically one of my go to styles. That being said, this beer was absolutely fantastic! One of these days I’m sure I’ll review a beer that I don’t like, but this definitely wasn’t one of them. I now understand why Peter would us Aventinus as his handle.

Can't wait to see what you have to say about one of my favorite "Winter Beers"

If you have a chance to pick up a bottle, you should really try to get a bottle of Erdinger Pikantus to compare the Aventinus to. Both are excellent beers but the taste profile is different enough to make it worth your while.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was the vintage cellar aged edition. Don't remember the year.
Cellar Aged Aventinus
I don't know how much difference the aging makes. It just seems to smooth out the rough edges a little.
The Aventinus Eisbock is also worth seeking out, and the regular Schneider Weisse is a great summer beer.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was the vintage cellar aged edition. Don't remember the year.
Cellar Aged Aventinus
I don't know how much difference the aging makes. It just seems to smooth out the rough edges a little.
The Aventinus Eisbock is also worth seeking out, and the regular Schneider Weisse is a great summer beer.

Is there a different label on the aged version? I'm assuming there would be, but missed it somehow apparently. Thanks again for sending this!

As I said earlier, wheat beers aren’t typically one of my go to styles. That being said, this beer was absolutely fantastic! One of these days I’m sure I’ll review a beer that I don’t like, but this definitely wasn’t one of them.

I don't think I'm ready to review any beers, but if I was, I would second this. Soooooooo many good beers, sooooooooooooo little time.

Cellar Aged Aventinus

Is there a different label on the aged version? I'm assuming there would be, but missed it somehow apparently. Thanks again for sending this!

The bottles are wrapped in tissue, and they have a hang tag that tells the date. IIRC the tissue has events from the year on it. Maybe the bottle that broke ruined the tissue :(

Cellar Aged Aventinus

The bottles are wrapped in tissue, and they have a hang tag that tells the date. IIRC the tissue has events from the year on it. Maybe the bottle that broke ruined the tissue :(

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember the bottle being wrapped in tissue paper that I had to throw away since it was soaked.