• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Deanston 17 yo Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Deanston 17 yo Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky, 750ml, tube packaging, standard short bottle, 80 proof, about $48 available in limited US markets (but growing distribution).

Deanston17.JPG

First off, a 17 year old Malt for about $50 out the door is amazing in itself, there just aren't too many of them out there. However, price is not the only reason to buy anything but with scotch it goes with quality and taste too.

I had some steaks marinating for a few days that went on the grill tonight along with some corn on the cob plus we had salad from our garden. All in all a meal fit for a Friday :) After letting the food settle for an hour or so I poured a good couple of fingers of Deanston in my glass and went out on the deck to watch the birds, bees and bugs do their thing while I took my notes and started working on the latest Stephen King novel.

The nose is lemon and honey with a nice zest to it but very little oak or malt is noticed. Tasting revels an oaky dryness to start before the malt wakes up and makes itself known. A sweetness comes on and then is replaced by a spiciness well on the tip of the tongue. Deanston finishes with this spiciness slowly fading and a touch of malt returning. This is a nice solid mid level dram that seems to be best suited for after a meal rather than before one. It could easily replace either of the "Glens" for those looking for something a bit different then the norm. It does grow on you.

I'll keep an eye out for this when I'm in the store next time. My place is starting to get a little better selection of Scotch and Bourbon, so maybe they'll have it. It doesn't hurt to look!

On the bright side, a new pub has opened downtown that has a pretty large selection of Irish whiskey and Scotch on the menu. My father in law and I are heading down next week. :thumbs:

If you can't find it and really want some I can point you to a few places.

Interesting review on another less than mainstream dram. I saw this one at Bevmo a few weeks ago. I guess since I have nearly full bottles of Glenlivet 18 and Glenfiddich 18 I'll wait a while before buying this one.

Thanks again for another job well done. :cool: