• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Val-Dieu Grand Cru

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
I had this for the first time a while back on tap at The Brick Store Pub in Decatur. I loved it and immediately started trying to track some down when I came back. Jonas sent me a bottle and I bought a couple more online. Unfortunately, this was my last bottle, so I figured I’d do a review.

The new masterpiece from the Val-Dieu brewery. A very complex and full-bodied beer with a long aftertaste. The brewmaster advices to cellar the beer for a year for it to unfold its full potential.
Alas, mine hasn’t been cellared for the recommended year.

valdieu.jpg

Style – Quadrupel
ABV – 10.5%
Brewed In – Aubel, Belgium
Availability – Brewed Year Round

Appearance

Pours very dark brown, almost black, with a two finger, almost white head that has a lot of retention. It was peculiar how such a dark beer could have such a light colored head. Lacing is unreal! Tons of it that is very thick and very clingy.

Smell

Agitating the goblet produces very pronounced smells of dark fruits, burnt malts, and clove. There is also a slight hint of alcohol, but it is very understated.

Taste

Tastes a lot like it smells, although the fruits are more upfront in the flavor. Where the dark fruits in the aroma are pretty indiscernible, it is very obviously plum in the flavor. The malts and clove are more muted than in the aroma, and there is also some burnt sugar. Very complex, yet smooth and well balanced.

Feel

Not overly thick, but enough to cling nicely and leave nice flavor on the palette. This beer is very drinkable, hard to believe that is 10.5%.

Verdict

While I enjoyed this bottle more on tap, it was still very good. I haven’t had many beers that deliver such a complex flavor, yet still remain so balanced and smooth. While the St. Bernardus and Rochefort quads are very good, IMO, this is on a different level. The only one I’ve had that I liked better was the Westvleteren, but I won’t even get started on that one. Now to try and find some for the recommended aging…

Another great review Justin, how hard would you rate to atain this one?

Another great review Justin, how hard would you rate to atain this one?

I'm not really sure how hard they are to find. I got mine from Liquid Solutions, but they are out at the moment, and Jonas found a couple bottles at a local shop I think. So I'm guessing you could probably find some, but it might take some looking.

Very well done Justin, my mouth was watering! This stuff does seem to be pretty hard to come by. I can't wait to try it next time I find it!