• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Manhattans, everything you wanted to know

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
In the quest for the perfect summer drink, any true red blooded American has had to try their hand at the quintessential Manhattan. This is my guide to Summer perfection.

First you need the proper ingredients and since Manhattans were invented sometime before the Civil War that means RYE whiskey. Next you need Vermouth, both sweet and dry and bitters. I use Angostura bitters although some prefer orange bitters instead.

Here is a list of everything needed to start:

Rye Whiskey
Sweet Vermouth
Dry Vermouth
Bitters
Maraschino cherries
Shaker with strainer
Lowball glass

For the "perfect" Manhattan take 2oz of whiskey, 1/2 oz sweet vermouth, 1/2oz dry vermouth and 3 drops of bitters and mix in a shaker over ice. Shake vigorously for 5 seconds and strain into a lowball glass. Add a Maraschino cherry and serve.

Variations can be:

Stirred instead of shaken
Bourbon instead of Rye
Orange bitters instead of Angostura bitters
All sweet vermouth instead of half (Sweet Manhattan)
All dry vermouth instead of half (Dry Manhattan)
Only using 1oz of whiskey instead of 2

Now if you use Scotch instead of Rye it is called a Rob Roy and if made with Dark rum it is a Cuban Manhattan. There are other variations but they get further away from the original.

Mix some up and enjoy!

Thanks for the drink recipes AVB, sounds like I'll have to try one out for Monday's cookout. The one with the rum sounds really good! :thumbs:

So how was the rum version? I've not tried that yet.

Thanks for the drink recipes AVB, sounds like I'll have to try one out for Monday's cookout. The one with the rum sounds really good! :thumbs:

I need to mix one of these up, it's been a while since I've had one. They go down a little too easy.
I can get in trouble drinking Manhattans!

Mixed up a cuban manhattan the other night. Nice way to change up the traditional manhattan.

Ain't these for old people?

Doc.

That my boy is why they get to be OLD! :D This was my Grandfather' favorite drink. He lived to be 96! I should be so lucky. It is one of my favorites too. The Perfect Manhattan recipe is great and appreciated AVB. I think I'll have 1 (or 2) tonight.

edited to add: "Lowball" glass?? did you mean Double Old Fashioned (DOF)?

A lowball glass is the same as a Rocks glass or Old Fashioned glass. I double is a bit bigger.

edited to add: "Lowball" glass?? did you mean Double Old Fashioned (DOF)?

Should have bumped this one too Skipper.

Doc.

True, but a true aficionado drinks them all the time ;)

In the quest for the perfect summer drink, any true red blooded American has had to try their hand at the quintessential Manhattan. This is my guide to Summer perfection.

First you need the proper ingredients and since Manhattans were invented sometime before the Civil War that means RYE whiskey. Next you need Vermouth, both sweet and dry and bitters. I use Angostura bitters although some prefer orange bitters instead.

Here is a list of everything needed to start:

Rye Whiskey
Sweet Vermouth
Dry Vermouth
Bitters
Maraschino cherries
Shaker with strainer
Lowball glass

For the "perfect" Manhattan take 2oz of whiskey, 1/2 oz sweet vermouth, 1/2oz dry vermouth and 3 drops of bitters and mix in a shaker over ice. Shake vigorously for 5 seconds and strain into a lowball glass. Add a Maraschino cherry and serve.

Variations can be:

Stirred instead of shaken
Bourbon instead of Rye
Orange bitters instead of Angostura bitters
All sweet vermouth instead of half (Sweet Manhattan)
All dry vermouth instead of half (Dry Manhattan)
Only using 1oz of whiskey instead of 2

Now if you use Scotch instead of Rye it is called a Rob Roy and if made with Dark rum it is a Cuban Manhattan. There are other variations but they get further away from the original.

Mix some up and enjoy!

I was taught differently, but I like your ideas, way, and logic better... :D Another thumbs up for AVB

Another cigar guy turned me on to this recipe. I have tweeked it a bit:

1.5 oz Bookers
1.5 oz Bulleit Rye Bourbon
1.0 oz Noilly Prat Sweet Vermouth
Bitters

Good stuff!

AVB, I'd be curious what you think about the Bulleit Rye.

Just what is "Rye Bourbon" ??? Bulleit Rye just came out and not too many folks know about it, I just got a bottle of it on Wednesday and plan on trying it tonight.

I tried the old fashioned last night, both with rye and bourbon. Not bad, but my quest for a great summer drink continues. I'll give this a try this evening.

Just what is "Rye Bourbon" ??? Bulleit Rye just came out and not too many folks know about it, I just got a bottle of it on Wednesday and plan on trying it tonight.

Ha! Something I made up. LOL! Lemme know what you think of that Bulleit Rye.